Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saylor's College Algebra not ACE recommended?
Hello all,
I am starting to explore ACE credit options for my younger son.  Last year when I google searched free algebra practice problems, we used some from Saylor's MA001 College Algebra so I thought for this school year I would enroll him in that course to see if he can earn some credit for it.  From their website it looks like it's only NCCRS recommended?? https://www.saylor.org/credit/#available-courses  I thought it was ACE approved because I remember seeing it as an option in the Alternative Credit Project.  Anyone have any info on whether this might become ACE approved again or should I look elsewhere?
Hmmm. It's not listed on the ACE website. Have you looked into ALEKs for algebra and a few others?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • magflo
(08-18-2018, 01:05 PM)magflo Wrote: Hello all,
I am starting to explore ACE credit options for my younger son.  Last year when I google searched free algebra practice problems, we used some from Saylor's MA001 College Algebra so I thought for this school year I would enroll him in that course to see if he can earn some credit for it.  From their website it looks like it's only NCCRS recommended?? https://www.saylor.org/credit/#available-courses  I thought it was ACE approved because I remember seeing it as an option in the Alternative Credit Project.  Anyone have any info on whether this might become ACE approved again or should I look elsewhere?

There are a ton of options for College Algebra, so if you don't want NCCRS credits then you can always choose another provider. NCCRS credits are just as good as ACE as long as the provider sticks around or the college you're sending them to is the one your son plans to graduate from.

Personally, I suggest ALEKS as well, as they're inexpensive, ACE recommended, and you can work at your own pace.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • magflo
So ALEKS is ACE recommended for college credit again? I thought they had lost their ACE recommendation.

Edit: I just looked it up and saw that it is!
My advice for a teen is to use the curriculum of choice (I'd use Khan Academy-free) and then zip through the Modern States to get the free CLEP voucher. Worst case, the voucher program expires, you're still better off with CLEP credit over NCCRS or even ACE unless you're already picking a target college - at that point choose whatever is accepted. If you're still playing odds, CLEP beats ACE/NCCRS.
Edit to add: depending on the regular math curriculum, once you're past Algebra 2, the "next" book usually gives a bit of pre-calc. You don't need a ton of precalc for that exam, but solid on Algebra 2 for sure.
(08-18-2018, 07:18 PM)cookderosa Wrote: My advice for a teen is to use the curriculum of choice (I'd use Khan Academy-free) and then zip through the Modern States to get the free CLEP voucher.  Worst case, the voucher program expires, you're still better off with CLEP credit over NCCRS or even ACE unless you're already picking a target college - at that point choose whatever is accepted.  If you're still playing odds, CLEP beats ACE/NCCRS.
Edit to add:  depending on the regular math curriculum, once you're past Algebra 2, the "next" book usually gives a bit of pre-calc.  You don't need a ton of precalc for that exam, but solid on Algebra 2 for sure.

That actually makes good sense... assuming they have local CLEP testing opportunities. I prefer CLEP testing myself, but unfortunately, some of us live in areas where the only nearby test centers are closed to the public, or there are no testing centers at all. I always forget to suggest CLEP due to this.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • magflo
(08-18-2018, 07:18 PM)cookderosa Wrote: My advice for a teen is to use the curriculum of choice (I'd use Khan Academy-free) and then zip through the Modern States to get the free CLEP voucher. Worst case, the voucher program expires, you're still better off with CLEP credit over NCCRS or even ACE unless you're already picking a target college - at that point choose whatever is accepted. If you're still playing odds, CLEP beats ACE/NCCRS.
Edit to add: depending on the regular math curriculum, once you're past Algebra 2, the "next" book usually gives a bit of pre-calc. You don't need a ton of precalc for that exam, but solid on Algebra 2 for sure.

Yeah, CLEP for sure has been good to us with my older son. I'm just not confident my younger son would do as well on a Math CLEP which is why I thought about having him do the Saylor College Algebra course since he actually worked through some of that course's worksheets last year, but if it's not ACE accredited it's a no go for us because one of the schools we're considering *might* take ACE but def not NCCRS.
One of the nice things about alternative credit is that not passing a test doesn't carry the same GPA baggage that failing a regular course (or even getting a C) would... If they don't pass the CLEP, then they can either try ALEKS, or try the CLEP again after a while.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-18-2018, 08:17 PM)magflo Wrote:
(08-18-2018, 07:18 PM)cookderosa Wrote: My advice for a teen is to use the curriculum of choice (I'd use Khan Academy-free) and then zip through the Modern States to get the free CLEP voucher. Worst case, the voucher program expires, you're still better off with CLEP credit over NCCRS or even ACE unless you're already picking a target college - at that point choose whatever is accepted. If you're still playing odds, CLEP beats ACE/NCCRS.

Yeah, CLEP for sure has been good to us with my older son. I'm just not confident my younger son would do as well on a Math CLEP which is why I thought about having him do the Saylor College Algebra course since he actually worked through some of that course's worksheets last year, but if it's not ACE accredited it's a no go for us because one of the schools we're considering *might* take ACE but def not NCCRS.

Saylor's is also credit by exam. You don't have to use their curriculum (you can) but it's exactly like CLEP in that the entire program is based on 1 exam - pass/fail, so since the CLEP exam is accepted for credit at twice as many colleges as those that accept Saylor, you're essentially having him do the CLEP but without the upside.
If CLEP is off the table (as is the case with one of my sons) you can probably do a lot better with Straighterline or Study. My son that couldn't pass a CLEP for a million dollars earned a ton of credit via Straighterline since the homework counts for almost the whole grade and the exam for very little. In other words, he went into most of his exams having already earned enough points to pass the class (or super close to it).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 903 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 414 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,359 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,128 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,813 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 592 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 850 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Dyscalculia and Sophia.org Algebra and Stats retro 10 905 09-29-2023, 05:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,561 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Saylor BIO101 Notes Request axelblaze77 5 572 08-24-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore