Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saylor vs. Study.com
Hello, 

I am new here and I have a few questions. 

1. I would like to know whether Saylor or Study.com would be better for the following courses:

American Government
Principles of Management

2. What is Saylor's PHIL 102: Intro to Critical Thinking and Logic like? Are there a lot of assignments, quizzes? How difficult is it? 

3. What is Study.com's Chemistry 1 with Lab like?

Thank you,
eminor7
Pierpont BOG AAS Information Systems 2022 
TESU BA Music 2023

Obtained tons of credit from Sophia, Study.com, InstantCert Credit, TEEX, CLEP,  UExcel, Straighterline, CSMLearn, Coopersmith, Coursera, and CC
1) study.com courses are usually way higher quality than saylor, however saylor is free(besides proctoring). You can always start with saylor and switch to study if you need to.

2) I don't know anything about that course other than all saylor courses are graded only based on a single final test.

3) the study.com chemistry lab uses a physical lab kit that you pay for(~$100 iirc) and do the labs at home.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Neither for American Government, I would go with Instantcert for $35.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Saylor. It is hard to beat free (well, $25 for proctoring fees), but in my case I found that I got what I paid for. In my experience, the exams were not really in alignment with the study materials and much of the material used to prepare the exams were out of date, inconsistent, or just wrong. Looking back, I feel that Shmoop's learning material was superior, and that is saying something since it was terrible.

Of course, this was like 2011-12, so I have to believe that things have improved since then. Either way, it left a bad taste in my mouth all the same.

On the other hand, I consider Study.com to be one of the best resources out there... particularly for upper-division courses. There you pay more (a monthly subscription which includes 2 free exams; after that you pay like $70 extra per additional exam up to a max of 5 per month), but the proctoring fees are included.

Some people don't like the Study.com format with lots of small knowledge check tests after each section, but I found it worked well for my learning style. They don't just have you read textbooks, they provide interactive lessons (video and text) which cover all the information relevant to the subject of each section. I took nearly two-years worth of college credits, including practically all of my upper-level courses, from there.

Also keep in mind that Sophia.org is free right now and they are also one of the better providers, albeit normally quite expensive. If you have any GenEd courses you still need, you should definitely check them out ASAP to register for the courses that are relevant to you before the deal is over. OnlineDegree is also free, but their courses are less widely accepted since they are NCCRS and not ACE recommended. Get as many free courses taken as you can and then take the balance of GenEd courses wherever you want... InstantCert, Study.com, StraighterLine, etc.

For your upper-level courses, there really isn't much competition to Study.com since they have the most UL courses (and more courses in general) compared to any other alternate credit provider out there.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Thank you MNomadic, LevelUp, and Merlin for your advice. 

I have finished taking all the Sophia courses that I need. 

Where else can I take Critical Thinking and Logic besides Saylor?

Does InstantCert transfer to WGU?
TESU BA Music 2023

Obtained tons of credit from Sophia, Study.com, InstantCert Credit, TEEX, CLEP,  UExcel, Straighterline, CSMLearn, Coopersmith, Coursera, and CC
(05-21-2020, 10:55 PM)eminor7 Wrote: Thank you MNomadic, LevelUp, and Merlin for your advice. 

I have finished taking all the Sophia courses that I need. 

Where else can I take Critical Thinking and Logic besides Saylor?

Does InstantCert transfer to WGU?

Critical Thinking can only be taken at Saylor.

ICC is accepted by WGU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you so much everybody!
TESU BA Music 2023

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,357 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,598 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,466 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 415 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 752 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 365 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,903 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 592 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 313 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue