Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saylor - what has successfully transferred and where?
I know Saylor isn’t the most popular alternate credit.  But for those that might need to take it MUCH slower… and cheaper…. What have others found for transferability?  Had anyone maximized Saylor Academy?  They seem to have a lot to offer for an eventual business degree.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
Different schools accept different things. If you want to go to UMPI, they will probably accept any ACE credits as at least electives. There's a good chance that the business classes would transfer in as BABA requirements, but we don't know exactly what they'll transfer in as because they're not a Saylor partner. For the Big 3, check out the links here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Saylor_Academy

For TESU, check out Davar for a business degree. It's $99/mo. to PURCHASE 2 business classes per month. If you cancel your subscription after 1 month, you've still got those two courses to study indefinitely. If you cancel after 2 months, you've got 4 courses. When you're ready to take the exam(s), it's an additional $15 per exam for RPNow. Or it's free if you can find a free local proctor (apparently, some libraries will do this). https://www.davaracademy.com/take-a-course.html

Coopersmith is similar, but each of their courses is $150 + $25 ProctorU fee. Plus, we don't have known equivalencies for most of their current offerings.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
With Saylor you don't have to go through the course you can jump right in and take the final exam.

This can be great if you have lots of preexisting knowledge on a subject and can pass with no studying or pass with a little bit of studying.

My experience is that I easily pass a CLEP scoring in the 60's, 70's, then when I go take a Saylor practice exam I fail scoring in the high 60's.

My suggestion is not to do Saylor courses.  Instead do Sophia, Study.com, or CLEP.  However, if you can find some low-hanging fruit, there might be a few courses that are worth it.  Find a course you can score in the 60's on the practice exam with no studying.

I heard Saylor is offering a $5 special so just for fun, you can take some final exams.  There are no limits on the number of final exams you can take for one course.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(12-22-2021, 01:37 PM)LevelUP Wrote: There are no limits on the number of final exams you can take for one course.

In the course info, it says you can only take each final exam 3 times. You can take the practice exam an unlimited amount of times, though, I believe.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-22-2021, 01:37 PM)LevelUP Wrote: With Saylor you don't have to go through the course you can jump right in and take the final exam.

This can be great if you have lots of preexisting knowledge on a subject and can pass with no studying or pass with a little bit of studying.

My experience is that I easily pass a CLEP scoring in the 60's, 70's, then when I go take a Saylor practice exam I fail scoring in the high 60's.

My suggestion is not to do Saylor courses.  Instead do Sophia, Study.com, or CLEP.  However, if you can find some low-hanging fruit, there might be a few courses that are worth it.  Find a course you can score in the 60's on the practice exam with no studying.

I heard Saylor is offering a $5 special so just for fun, you can take some final exams.  There are no limits on the number of final exams you can take for one course.

A CLEP exam scoring in the 60's or 70's is high or very high - the highest score is 80.  So 60's/70's is not 60% or 70%.  Back in the day, CLEP put out a scoring sheet - for their Marketing exam, scoring 65 was what a school considered a B (~85%).  For Management, a B was 63.  DSST also had this - 400 was considered a C, 434 was considered a B.  So you can't compare a CLEP score to a Saylor or other ACE score.

(12-22-2021, 10:17 AM)Vle045 Wrote: I know Saylor isn’t the most popular alternate credit.  But for those that might need to take it MUCH slower… and cheaper…. What have others found for transferability?  Had anyone maximized Saylor Academy?  They seem to have a lot to offer for an eventual business degree.

Saylor is only $5 per exam, so it's worth it to do - and not necessarily slower.  If you didn't want to do a MS/CLEP combo on something you already knew, Saylor is a great option.

Their exams used to be $25, so still worth doing - but their courses were iffy.  Some were good, many were not.  So they kind of fell out of favor in this group due to their inconsistency.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-22-2021, 01:57 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(12-22-2021, 01:37 PM)LevelUP Wrote: There are no limits on the number of final exams you can take for one course.

In the course info, it says you can only take each final exam 3 times. You can take the practice exam an unlimited amount of times, though, I believe.

IC, I must have gotten that confused with the Certificate Final Exams which you can take an unlimited amount of times.  For credit, exams are 3 attempts.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
If you're just looking to recall/review subject matter and the course is offered by CLEP/Modern States, that would be an avenue I'd check.  For NCCRS, you can check out Onlinedegree.com ($9/each exam) and Davar Academy.  For ACE, InstantCertCredit, Saylor.org, Sophia.org, for example are options on the list of more affordable providers...  It all depends on what you're trying to do, most courses/topics of interest can be found online (free even) if you're just looking to learn but not get credit for what's taught...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 404 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 322 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,549 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Saylor BIO101 Notes Request axelblaze77 5 568 08-24-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,364 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Saylor Vent Lima845 4 878 06-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Saylor Academy is very slow Leo Wu 2 1,179 06-11-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study resources for Saylor courses Personherebb9 0 748 12-05-2022, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Personherebb9
  Easiest ACE accredited courses on Saylor cfoster 5 1,399 11-15-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Initial Saylor exam test experiment vetvso 15 2,448 11-15-2022, 10:55 AM
Last Post: vetvso