Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School lies to students, and students loose out on credits
Saw this article today. This school put students in an AP class in order to pad their numbers of minorities taking advanced classes, but them balked at the cost of testing, so they gave them a "placebo" test (last years test) so they could obtain data on how many students passed.  The school principle now claims they never made the explicit claim that the students would obtain college credit for this course, therefore its not fraud. 

What do you all think ? 

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/...D=ref_fark

You can read the full report on this link

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news...sia-county
Of course everyone assumed that taking an Advanced Placement course and exam would be worth college credit...that's literally what Advanced Placement MEANS. They flat out cheated those kids who put in tons of hard work.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Toastmaster
Hmm, did the kids and/or parents have to pay extra costs for their students to attend the course? If not, then it sounds like they got some extra education for "free;" the knowledge is still quite useful. Now if I as a parent had to sink money into extra study materials and other stuff in order to support my kids taking that class, I would be very pissed that it did not culminate with the expected exam for credit.

Outside of that, it's a "meh" issue to me. Definitely an issue of poor planning, but I'm glad they didn't approve the $60,000 full cost of the exams in order to cover up the Principal's mistake.
BSNS - Excelsior College - 2019

AASIO - Cochise College - 2012

[-] The following 1 user Likes TheMaskedMutant's post:
  • badooble
"Mainland High School Principal Cheryl Salerno didn’t realize the course would give students college credit."

totally incompetent
fire her immediately

" Instead, Salerno paid for the official exam for 78 students at $142 apiece — a cost of about $11,000 — and the remaining 336 were given a previous year’s exam, made to look like the real one."

"My intention was never to ‘dupe’ anyone"

uh, yeah it was
the second you gave those students an exam you knew was fake was duping them

"“As we’ve gotten closer to the testing and submission deadlines, new variables and obstacles keep presenting themselves,” Kester wrote to Salerno. “This process has gotten much more complicated and I have had a greater role in planning how to keep the students blind to the testing than I expected."

but again, "My intention was never to ‘dupe’ anyone" LOL

seriously, fire her
[-] The following 2 users Like bluebooger's post:
  • davewill, Toastmaster
First, that is completely cheating those students, and people should be fired.

Second, it's normally STUDENTS who pay for the AP exams, the school does not (or can but doesn't have to). I've not known any kids whose schools pay for it; there is waiver if you're low income, but it's not coming out of the school's pockets, it comes from federal and state grants.

Third, just to clarify, an AP COURSE is not college credit, it is high school credit, but can give you a full extra grade point on your GPA calculation (honors is usually 1/2 a point). An AP EXAM is how you get college credit, and should not be used at all to reflect how a student does in a course on their high school grade (and the scores don't even come out until July, long after the school year is over and grades have come out, and seniors have graduated). Not only that, but not all students take the AP exam who take the course, so you can't use it as your final exam for that course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-26-2019, 01:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote: ...
Second, it's normally STUDENTS who pay for the AP exams, the school does not (or can but doesn't have to).  I've not known any kids whose schools pay for it; there is waiver if you're low income, but it's not coming out of the school's pockets, it comes from federal and state grants.

I'm guessing that while students usually DO pay a fee, that there are costs borne by the school in offering and administering the tests that the principal didn't account for until too late. Or perhaps, the school didn't do their homework so that their student could qualify for the waivers. If somebody at College Board has half a brain, they would step up and offer these kids a make up opportunity in exchange for the positive PR.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,608 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 28,659 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 585 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 246 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 197 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,194 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 473 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12