Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer
(02-22-2021, 09:14 PM)ylmir Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 07:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 06:43 PM)ylmir Wrote: I was looking into low-cost online degrees. One really interesting one is Arkansas State University. They have, among other programs, an AACSB-accredited BS in Business Administration offered online, they accept ACE, NCCRS, DSSTs, CLEPs, UExcels, and others, and they allow up to 90 credit hours transfer. According to page 41 of their 20-21 bulletin, only 25% (30 credits) of your degree can come from credit by exam (including CLEP). I couldn't find any limitations on ACE/NCCRS Credit, but there very well might be. Cost is $258/credit hour, and that includes fees. Might be something for us to look further into.

I think they're one of the many (most?) schools that will take 90cr of transfer, that's VERY common.   But only 30cr can be alternative; so the other 60cr have to be RA.

I don't see where they will take DSST or ACE/NCCRS, can you point me in the right direction?

In the 2020-21 bulletin, page 35, it says:

A-State will consider awarding credit toward an Associate or a Baccalaureate degree for Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination program (CLEP), Military service education and experience, DANTES, formal non collegiate courses for which credit has been recommended as listed in the Directory of National Program on Non Collegiate Sponsored Instruction and in the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs published by ACE, International Baccalaureate, and Excelsior College Exams.

Then, on the FAQ page for the BSBA:

A-State accepts up to 90 credit hours for transfer. If you meet this limit, the cost of completing your bachelor's degree is only $7,740. In addition to previous credits from a regionally accredited institution, A-State will also consider credits from Advanced Placement (AP) courses, the College Level Examination program (CLEP), military service education and experience, Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) and formal non-collegiate courses. For non-collegiate courses, credit must be recommended by the Directory of National Program on Non Collegiate Sponsored Instruction, and in the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs.

I'm not sure why they still call NCCRS the "National Program on Non-Collegiate Sponsored Instruction," but that's NCCRS, nonetheless. I also don't know what this translates to in practice, but considering that they apparently accept NCCRS and UExcel, I should think they would be fairly flexible with what they accept from ACE.

I've never seen a school that will take NCCRS but not ACE, kind of kooky wording.

BUT, just an FYI, AP, CLEP and DSST (DANTES is long-gone at this point), are all ACE-recommended for college credit.  That's the reason the Big 3 will take their credits, unlike other schools.  I know that the Big 3 goes strictly by ACE recommendations even for AP exams.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
There is another college that could be added to this list. SUNY Empire State College is similar to the Big 3 in its acceptance of the maximum credits it allows in for transfer as well as alternative credits, such as via CLEP, ACE, etc, experiential credits, portfolio reviews, etc. 
Plus being SUNY it has that additional recognition as well. 
And, if a student qualifies for the instate free tuition grant/scholarship, they could save even more money by attending SUNY ESC!
(03-22-2021, 01:28 PM)miah Wrote: There is another college that could be added to this list. SUNY Empire State College is similar to the Big 3 in its acceptance of the maximum credits it allows in for transfer as well as alternative credits, such as via CLEP, ACE, etc, experiential credits, portfolio reviews, etc. 
And, if a student qualifies for the instate free tuition grant/scholarship, they could save even more money by attending SUNY ESC!

Is SUNY different than CUNY in policy? CUNY is very limited in what they actually accept, as noted in this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...out-of-120 Basically, yes, you can transfer in a bunch of credits but good luck actually finding inexpensive credits that they'll accept.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(03-22-2021, 01:40 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 01:28 PM)miah Wrote: There is another college that could be added to this list. SUNY Empire State College is similar to the Big 3 in its acceptance of the maximum credits it allows in for transfer as well as alternative credits, such as via CLEP, ACE, etc, experiential credits, portfolio reviews, etc. 

Is SUNY different than CUNY in policy? CUNY is very limited in what they actually accept, as noted in this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...out-of-120 Basically, yes, you can transfer in a bunch of credits but good luck actually finding inexpensive credits that they'll accept.

SUNY and CUNY are not colleges/universities. SUNY is the NY State system, CUNY is the NY City system (SPS is only one school in the CUNY system, for example). Each system (and sometimes school) has different policies, different requirements, different tuition/fees, etc.

Both systems are very expensive and come with a lot of red tape. I live in NY City, and if I wanted to take a few classes at a CUNY school, say, City College, as a visiting/non-degree student, it would cost me $445/credit + fees. And there are LOTS of fees. Believe me, nothing about SUNY or CUNY schools is affordable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes monchevy's post:
  • ss20ts

Sort of - CUNY is sort of equivalent to the community colleges for NYC - which are part of the SUNY system, but also partially managed by individual locality - Their [SUNY ESC] residency requirement for a bachelor degree is 31 credits which is in the ballpark with the other ones listed. You may want to check out the following link: https://catalog.esc.edu/undergraduate/ea...-standing/ Plus I just did a search and it appears that SUNY ESC notes the following for CLEP acceptance: http://www.esc.edu/degree-planning-acade...es-credit/ - and I know in the past they were accepting ACE courses too. (http://www.esc.edu/degree-planning-acade...t-project/)
(03-22-2021, 03:02 PM)miah Wrote:

Sort of - CUNY is sort of equivalent to the community colleges for NYC - which are part of the SUNY system, but also partially managed by individual locality - Their residency requirement for a bachelor degree is 31 credits which is in the ballpark with the other ones listed. You may want to check out the following link: catalog.esc.edu/undergraduate/earning-undergraduate-degree/credit-prior-college-level-learning-advanced-standing/ Plus I just did a search and it appears that SUNY ESC notes the following for CLEP acceptance: http://www.esc.edu/degree-planning-acade...es-credit/ - and I know in the past they were accepting ACE courses too. (http://www.esc.edu/degree-planning-acade...t-project/)

No. CUNY is the system for NY City schools, both community colleges and 4-year universities. SUNY is state schools, and it's a completely different system.
  • ss20ts
(03-22-2021, 03:02 PM)monchevy Wrote:

SUNY and CUNY are not colleges/universities. SUNY is the NY State system, CUNY is the NY City system (SPS is only one school in the CUNY system, for example). Each system (and sometimes school) has different policies, different requirements, different tuition/fees, etc.

Both systems are very expensive and come with a lot of red tape. I live in NY City, and if I wanted to take a few classes at a CUNY school, say, City College, as a visiting/non-degree student, it would cost me $445/credit + fees. And there are LOTS of fees. Believe me, nothing about SUNY or CUNY schools is affordable.

Yes, they have fees in addition to tuition, but, they still tend to be no more expensive than some of the other schools that are listed. Plus, if you qualify and meet the residency and financial  per the Nys Excelsior free tuition scholarship grant, it would be less expensive as the tuition would be covered in full.
(03-22-2021, 03:31 PM)miah Wrote:

Yes, they have fees in addition to tuition, but, they still tend to be no more expensive than some of the other schools that are listed. Plus, if you qualify and meet the residency and financial  per the Nys Excelsior free tuition scholarship grant, it would be less expensive as the tuition would be covered in full.

Hardly anyone meets the requirements of the Excelsior program; certainly no one here. And like I said, $445/credit plus fees for a resident is far more expensive than nearly all the schools discussed on this forum.
  • ss20ts
(03-22-2021, 03:35 PM)monchevy Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 03:31 PM)miah Wrote:

Hardly anyone meets the requirements of the Excelsior program; certainly no one here. And like I said, $445/credit plus fees for a resident is far more expensive than nearly all the schools discussed on this forum.

Here is the link for SUNY ESC which notes that tuition and fees for instate resident full time students paid a total of $3815 in tuition and fees per term for 12+ credits for the 2019-20 school year: https://www.esc.edu/student-accounts/tui...ition-fee/ (which comes to ~$318 per credit if one takes only 12 credits, but it would be even less if one took 15 or 18 credits per term; grant it, there are other options to earn credits for less before enrolling, but it’s really in the ballpark as some of the others listed for somebody only needing to finish up a bachelor degree - and it’s a good deal if one qualifies for the Excelsior program and had earned credits in HS or prior to having ever matriculated in a degree program and still meets the eligibility for the free tuition scholarship. Is it good for everyone, maybe not, but everyone’s situation is different and I’m just pointing out another possibility to consider, especially if one wants a recognized SUNY option.

SUNY is not at all the same as CUNY. Every SUNY school has their own separate policies. SUNY schools don't accept ACE credit typically. ESC is the only one that I know that does, but it's very limited. 

Again do NOT count on that Excelsior Scholarship for free tuition. It does not cover all of the tuition for full time students. You must be a full time student and not have taken courses anywhere previously to even be eligible. There's a whole lot of rules about it. It's pretty much a joke in the state. My tuition at UMPI was significantly less than a SUNY school. No fees either. 

(03-22-2021, 03:02 PM)miah Wrote:

Sort of - CUNY is sort of equivalent to the community colleges for NYC - which are part of the SUNY system, but also partially managed by individual locality - Their [SUNY ESC] residency requirement for a bachelor degree is 31 credits which is in the ballpark with the other ones listed. You may want to check out the following link: https://catalog.esc.edu/undergraduate/ea...-standing/ Plus I just did a search and it appears that SUNY ESC notes the following for CLEP acceptance: http://www.esc.edu/degree-planning-acade...es-credit/ - and I know in the past they were accepting ACE courses too. (http://www.esc.edu/degree-planning-acade...t-project/)

CUNY has NOTHING to do with SUNY. CUNY is NYC. SUNY is NYS. They do not overlap. CUNY and SUNY both have community colleges in their systems. CUNY is not part of SUNY. 

ESC does not accept many ACE credits. They are limited on ACE providers. They even have limits on CLEP. 

That experiential credit and portfolio review is a BOATLOAD of work. My husband did 2 courses as a PLA years ago with them. It's MUCH easier and far LESS work to take their classes and complete them. You also need to document everything job related in the PLA which means getting a supervisor involved sometimes which is NOT easy. ESC was not designed to be an alt credit program like the Big 3.  

The Excelsior Grant does NOT over full tuition even though the governor claims it does. There's also a boatload of fees and it pays none of them. You also must remain a resident of the state for so many years after receiving the grant or you have to pay it back. Very few people have actually received the grant. There was an article last year that said only 9,000 students had actually received the grant out of tens of thousands who were supposedly eligible. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • monchevy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Utah Schools switching to the 3-year Bachelor Airamb 6 124 11 hours ago
Last Post: RachelB
  PUG IT transfer credits BritStudent 2 197 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  TAMUC Org Leadership-six UL credits needed StoicJ 20 2,460 12-13-2023, 09:11 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,827 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Does CUNY SPS allow transfer credits after enrollment? MyRightHandIsBi 11 892 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Other Brick and Mortar Public Univ's that Accept ACE Credit cdrob44 18 2,365 09-06-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 978 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does Ana G. Mendez University accept ACE credits ande 7 670 07-11-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,066 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  UoPeople Certificate program transfer courses? MNomadic 5 1,592 12-13-2022, 10:44 PM
Last Post: MNomadic