Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schools with very good reputation and good transfer policy?
(01-15-2022, 02:55 PM)raycathode Wrote: Depending on what circles you're trying to move in, it's absolutely a valid approach. 
Where you went to school is absolutely a form of social currency in my region. In fact, they ask where you went to HIGH school.

True, but in cases like that there is usually a short list of "acceptable" schools to choose from.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-15-2022, 02:32 PM)ss20ts Wrote: If the friend wants all of that and only wants to spend $400 per credit then they should look at their state university system. Also know that those 75 credits probably aren't going to go far at a state university because of the requirements they have in place. Your friend may be starting from scratch. Whereas at a school like TESU or UMPI they may be able to graduate in less than 6 months.

ASU and CUNY seem to be a good balance between price and quality. They are fine with slower and more expensive. (However, I was looking into ASU and that is a lot of Upper Level credits, so that might not work for them. May be too slow.)

Yes, I agree with you about the transfer credit problem.

It all depends on which state they reside in, I usually recommend the local public/state research university. You can't go wrong with the flagships. Unless they want something from out of state that can't be had, then that wouldn't be a quick degree unless it's online... Which state is your friend in?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-15-2022, 02:55 PM)raycathode Wrote: Depending on what circles you're trying to move in, it's absolutely a valid approach. 
Where you went to school is absolutely a form of social currency in my region. In fact, they ask where you went to HIGH school.

Yes, I feel like they would rather go slower and have only a bachelor's degree in the end. Whereas I told them they could have a bachelors and masters too (and self-paced too), but I do understand the traditional approach. Especially for someone older, they are in more traditional circles as you say.

Just wondering if they have other options because I feel like ASU probably won't fit after looking into it more.

They're especially interested in taking social science courses to finish off the degree, but they're open to humanities and even more.

How about NAU? In theory, you can transfer in 60-ish credits. If all he has is RA credit, that might work. https://nau.edu/online-innovative-educat...e-degrees/
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Some people do want to go to brand-name schools.

You need to understand Purdue Global is not Purdue.

ASU Online is not ASU

Harvard Extension is not Harvard and so on.  

Most of the time online students can't take campus courses and vice versa.

People are always going to crap over your degree no matter where you go.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Ideas, ss20ts
LevelUP Wrote:People are always going to crap over your degree no matter where you go.

This is so true... so I highly just recommend any doctoral/research university in the state system. There usually are "two" state systems with flagships, you can't go wrong with them unless you're going for an on-campus program, it'll be less flexible with an on-campus program. Since the OP mentioned an online program, as long as the state university offers it, I would recommend it!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
In-state makes sense... they don't have a year in the same place to get the in-state tuition yet, but they might wait longer to start.

ASU says that the diploma doesn't have any indication of "online" though. So that helps. Also it seems like the lines are more blurred now due to the pandemic.

University of Florida - you can transfer up to 60 credits from CC, and up to 90 if you include upper division: https://archive.catalog.ufl.edu/ugrad/17...ml#admjrsr

Rutgers-Camden: can transfer up to 60 CC credits, or 90 total credits if you have upper division credit to their Bachelor's in Business: https://onlineprograms.rutgers.edu/onlin...nistration
University of Illinois-Chicago - can only transfer up to 60 credits for the business degree: https://business.uic.edu/undergraduate-p...n-program/

University of Missouri - you can transfer more than 64 credits of lower division. Accepts CLEP and dual enrollment: https://online.missouri.edu/mu/arts-and-.../bachelors

University of Arizona - you can transfer between 60-64 CC/CLEP credits, and up to 90 credits if you have upper divisional 4-year college credits: https://online.arizona.edu/programs/undergraduate

All these are highly ranked brick and mortar research universities, though none are self-paced. If you don't care so much about rankings there are numerous respectable brick and mortar universities such as Franklin University or Old Dominion University where you can transfer in 90 credits and they have numerous selections.

A decent self-paced option would be UMPI as others have mentioned, or Nichols College, though there's not much information on them except it's a BS in Business Administration ($6000 per year flat rate tuition): https://www.nichols.edu/degree-programs/...t-degrees/

Actually this one is probably your best bet:

University of Alaska Fairbanks- allows 100 credits to be transferred in towards a Bachelor's of Interdisciplinary Studies. Literally tailor-made for what you're looking for: https://ecampus.uaf.edu/online-bachelors...n-program/
[-] The following 1 user Likes karehiro's post:
  • Ideas
(01-15-2022, 03:57 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Some people do want to go to brand-name schools.

You need to understand Purdue Global is not Purdue.

ASU Online is not ASU

Harvard Extension is not Harvard and so on.  

Most of the time online students can't take campus courses and vice versa.

People are always going to crap over your degree no matter where you go.

o, i didn't know ASU online is not ASU cause I actually got into taking ASU online classes from a friend who was an on campus student at ASU. when i did the classes, it didn't differentiate between you being an on campus or online student. Transcripts didn't say the class was taken online as well. 

I guess something changed. but I did all this over 10 years ago.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Utah Schools switching to the 3-year Bachelor Airamb 6 360 03-27-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  PUG IT transfer credits BritStudent 2 256 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 40,919 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,951 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Does CUNY SPS allow transfer credits after enrollment? MyRightHandIsBi 11 965 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,116 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  UoPeople Certificate program transfer courses? MNomadic 5 1,656 12-13-2022, 10:44 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  State schools vs. other options MDela3 71 8,151 09-26-2022, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Two, two degree schools 6 months? learningthehardway 16 1,898 06-01-2022, 08:02 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Alternate schools for Comp Sci? Ideas 4 1,369 03-29-2022, 05:05 AM
Last Post: Ideas