Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science Degree & 2 Degrees
Bug 
Hi guys! Helping a friend -- he has a BS in Management from ASU, but is considering a career change into teaching, specifically science or math (preferably science) and so is considering another Bachelor's in some kind of Science program. He's looking for the quickest way of obtaining a new Bachelor's degree, but would that be through testing out with Excelsor or TESU; I took a look at UMPI's MyPace catalog and it doesn't appear they have any kind of Science concentrations. Sad

I'm also curious if he could use some of the general ed credits he's already obtained with his first degree and apply them towards his second degree to move things along?

P.S. -- Damn, I wish I had this problem -- I'm still chugging along slowly, but surely on my first degree. Ha. Maybe I'll get there in the next 10 years.  Tongue
Working on my BABA in Marketing from UMPI.
Check out my path & progress here!
For science and/or math, especially for a second degree, I think that TESU is the way to go. IIRC, Excelsior's requirements for second degrees can be a bit onerous.

With TESU, his current Bachelor's means that they'll wave the entirety of the gen ed portion. The only course he HAS to take at TESU is the capstone. That said, TESU's BS degrees don't really have any good alternate credit for the AOS. He'll need to choose one of the degrees on this page: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

He could do a BA Math + BA Comp Sci for not much more than just the BA Math or the BA Comp Sci on its own. Especially if he's able to do a 16-credit-term at TESU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
TESU is a great option as your first degree would remove some requirements to the Science degree. Having said that, the degrees offered at TESU are mainly BA degrees with only a handful of science related majors, such as Bio, CS, Math, Environmental Studies is somewhat related... Another option for your friend is to go the WGU Bachelors and/or Masters in Education, they are one I would also recommend you take a look at...

BTW, is your degree link up to date? I've seen that link before, you can complete the majority of your courses with Sophia.org/Study.com combo. I would skip the Saylor.org courses in favor of Sophia.org, have you applied and got a newer evaluation for yourself? It'll come soon enough for your first degree! I suggest tackling the Sophia.org offerings first then focus on the remainder...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Cross EC off the list. If someone already has a bachelor's degree, then EC is not your friend. EC requires a minimum of 30 ADDITIONAL UPPER LEVEL credits to be completed AFTER the first degree is conferred. This is problematic as most degrees don't have 30 UL credits to begin with.

WGU could also be an option. They have numerous teaching degrees including science.

https://www.wgu.edu/online-teaching-degr...riberModal

Your friend also needs to check on the licensing requirements set by their state for teachers. ACE credits may not be acceptable for the science requirements.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • LevelUP
Hey, thanks so much for the help, friends!!

@bjcheung77 -- it's not up to date -- you and a few others gave me some great advice a few weeks ago or so on the updates I need to make, it's just been insane with work, but it'll slow down soon and I'll get back at it. Smile

Thanks again, friends!!
Working on my BABA in Marketing from UMPI.
Check out my path & progress here!
Hello,
Has your friend checked out the requirements for a teacher in the state he is planning to teach in.  Many states have alternative pathways for people who have a Bachelors degree already. He may need to take and pass a praxis test in the subject area. Some districts / states have pathways to mentor people into the education field. Your friend could possibly do that and then work on a Masters' degree while employed.
Check the state requirements before doing anything.

My state says you have to have 30 graded credits in your area of study. If that's the case, you aren't going to want to do alt-credit through any of the Big 3.

I'm not even sure WGU would work in that instance (they don't have graded credits). But they do have a Science and a Math degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 7 119 46 minutes ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 35 616 1 hour ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 37 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 317 6 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 136 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,478 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,854 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 178 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 954 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 563 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower