Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Searchable PDF Conversion - Huge Size
Just wondering what do you all use for PDF Conversion or saving as a searchable PDF file.
The PDF files I have are huge and would like to convert them to a smaller size, but searchable.
For some reason, using CutePDF, it doesn't always save as a searchable PDF file for some reason.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:Just wondering what do you all use for PDF Conversion or saving as a searchable PDF file.
The PDF files I have are huge and would like to convert them to a smaller size, but searchable.
For some reason, using CutePDF, it doesn't always save as a searchable PDF file for some reason.

You want to look into "OCR" software (converts images with text in your PDF documents into actual searchable text).

I remember doing this 3 years ago with an e-book which I printed into a PDF, which wasn't searchable. The website I used was OnlineOCR.net--it only does a limited number of pages for free though. I don't know of any completely free solutions for converting a full e-book, so if you find any, let me know.
I use acrobat.

You may have to break the book down into chapters, then OCR each chapter, put each chapter in a folder, then search the folder. (shrugs) The paid route, you potentially could send the text off to someone online, but the things I was working on wasn't publicly releasable, so I never went that route.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

High_Order1 Wrote:I use acrobat.

You may have to break the book down into chapters, then OCR each chapter, put each chapter in a folder, then search the folder. (shrugs) The paid route, you potentially could send the text off to someone online, but the things I was working on wasn't publicly releasable, so I never went that route.

This is perfect. Thanks!

I found Adobe Acrobat DC at https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/...-text.html, and it has a 30-day free trial (no CC required). Downloaded it and tested it on a PDF, and it converted it into searchable text really fast. After the 30-day free-trial it has the option of a $14.99/mo. monthly subscription, which is actually a pretty good deal.
Nixi Wrote:This is perfect. Thanks!

I found Adobe Acrobat DC at https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/...-text.html, and it has a 30-day free trial (no CC required). Downloaded it and tested it on a PDF, and it converted it into searchable text really fast. After the 30-day free-trial it has the option of a $14.99/mo. monthly subscription, which is actually a pretty good deal.

That's awesome, I have the Adobe Reader DC, I'll see how well this trial version runs, if it's good, might invest in it....

bjcheung77 Wrote:That's awesome, I have the Adobe Reader DC, I'll see how well this trial version runs, if it's good, might invest in it....

Just an update to this, the Adobe Reader DC is a great tool to reading PDF's AND if you need to modify the file, the Adobe Acrobat DC is worth it.
I had a few hours to test this Acrobat DC and it has shrunk my files down to size, significantly saving my computer space and seems faster to search.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would going from Harvard to BU be a huge step down? Jude84 21 2,931 12-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Last Post: bricabrac