Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second BA questions
Getting way ahead of myself here, but the answers might help make my decision between BA in sociology vs BA in psychology easier.

When getting a 2nd BA at TESU (ignoring for the moment any valid reasons not to do this), I know you need to complete an additional 30 credits in the major after the conferral of your fist BA, and meet all requirements for the new degree.

What if I meet almost all of the requirements for the second degree at the time of my first BA? Can I just take the one or two classes I'm missing and fill up the remaining credits with in-major electives? Or do I need to retake some requirements I previously met, so that it's after 1st BA conferral? I'm just not sure about the wording here.

Do I need to take a second capstone?

Redo residency requirements if I start right after first conferral?

Thanks in advance Smile
You do not need to meet the residency requirements again, but you need 24 new credits in the area of study (major) earned after conferral of the first degree. It doesn't matter if they are required courses or AOS elective courses; they just need to be in the area of study. You might also want to ask the Heavin School of Arts and Sciences if they will let you earn a second degree in psychology (or sociology). Even though this is not written anywhere, TESU has rejected requests to complete a second degree in a similar subject. I wasn't asking about a CJ degree; I was asking about creating a security management concentration for the BSBA. TESU rejected my BSBA LDAS proposal (they said the courses needed to be more related to security management) and told me I could have completed a degree in CJ instead if I hadn't already completed a BA in Social Science.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Awesome, thanks (as always) for your insight. For some reason I thought it was 30, not 24. This makes it even more attractive. Hopefully this means I only have to do one capstone.

When I have an appointment with an advisor, hopefully they have some good news about possibly getting separate BAs in these fields.
I think someone said that you have to do a capstone for each AOS if you have a double AOS, so it's probably the same for a second degree.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Ah, bummer.
They might let you do both Psychology and Sociology, as those are two separate majors with non-overlapping courses. They probably won't let you do any individual soc sci major if you've already completed a general social science degree (so, for instance, no doing a Social Science BA then a CJ BA, or a Psych BA, or a Soc BA, etc., since all of those subjects fall under "social sciences" - even if you accumulate enough credits).

Honestly though, in my opinion, if you want to major in two closely related fields then you should just do two areas of study in one degree. Alternatively, just go with the general Social Sciences major and call it good. Getting the two separate degrees doesn't really help you in any substantial way when the subjects are that closely related - if anything, it just looks redundant. I can think of some situations where getting a second degree in a social sciences major might help someone (a second degree in social work, for instance, or some other applied or highly specialized field), but psychology and sociology are both theoretical fields with lots of overlap. Additionally, psych and sociology are both fields where most of the benefit happens when you have a graduate degree, not an undergrad degree - if you want a second degree in either of those areas I would look into graduate school rather than a second undergrad.

TESU's policy on second degrees is that 24 credits in the major have to be earned after the previous degree was conferred. Or, you can graduate with two areas of study within the same degree. I am not sure if they let you graduate with two unrelated degrees simultaneously (for instance, a BSBA in General Management at the same time as a BA in Psychology). You can graduate with an Associate's and a Bachelor's simultaneously, and only have to pay the one graduation fee.
DSST | Astronomy - 68 | Anthropology - 73 | HTYH - 450 | Intro to Comp. - 454 | Religions - 459 | Lifespan Dev. - 419 | Counseling - 409 | Substance Abuse - 456 | Geography - 463 | Environment & Humanity - 463 | CLEP | A & I Lit - 75 | Humanities - 57 | Psych - 64 | Western Civ I - 57 | College Comp. - 65 | College Math - 61 | Ed. Psych - 65 | US History I - 68 | Soc Sci & History - 69 | Western Civ II - 53 | US History II - 61 | UExcel | College Writing - A | Social Psych - B | Abnormal Psych - B | Cultural Div. - B | Juvenile Delinquency - B | World Pop. - A | Psych of Adulthood & Aging - A | Straighterline | Intro to Philosophy - 75% | American Gov. - 89% | Macroecon | Microecon | Bus. Communication | Bus. Ethics | Cultural Anth. - 96% |

AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies - Graduated 2015!
BA in Social Sciences & Humanities from TESU - in progress

186 credits and counting...
I agree with there being little value in having bachelor's degrees in both. Online master's degrees in sociology are hard to find, and a master's degree in psychology can potentially lead to licensing as a counselor or psychological associate (aka psychological assistant or technician) if the program has a practicum and includes enough credits. So, if you really want both, it would probably be best to get the BA in Sociology and a master's in psychology.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I hear you both, don't get me wrong. That's why I initially said:

jsd Wrote:(ignoring for the moment any valid reasons not to do this )

I don't disagree with the points above at all, believe me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 4,981 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,703 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 1,980 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,583 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU First Year Foundations & More Questions Lewis.Yim 8 2,917 06-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  questions for my friend's son maplefu 4 1,297 05-22-2018, 08:36 PM
Last Post: maplefu
  Questions about ICCP exams - Calling all IT/MIS Students gus 31 8,888 05-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  How to get TESU to answer my questions and look at my transcripts? (Discouraged) camjenks 5 1,613 04-24-2018, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
  TESU and Study.com partnership/discount specific questions Tripletmom 9 3,344 04-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Joeman200
  TESU Academic Eval (Questions - Help Please) Gloddy 6 2,047 03-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Gloddy