Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Bachelor’s with FlexPath?
Essentially, many many colleges, including the Big 3 or CBE programs will allow someone with a Bachelors degree to obtain a second Bachelors degree by finishing the requirements of that second degree. Basically, a majority of those second degrees just requires that Area of Study, or Concentration, or Major, and that generally consists of 30 credits. I wouldn't just look at one college or university, I would take a look at a few, TESU has ACBSP programmatic/secondary accreditation for their BSBA programs. Another option is to get the MBA at Walden for FREE first term and pay a second term of $2700 for your MBA that is also ACBSP!

Here's an example from COSC, if you have a bachelors, this would be the cheapest as you will only require the Capstone (I think the cornerstone is omitted, as in the case for TESU as well) : https://www.charteroak.edu/prospective/a...degree.php - If you only need to take the Capstone and pay the grad fee, this will be under 2K - even if you require extra Upper Level courses to round out the 30 credits, you can get those from Study.com cheaply. If you're looking at TESU, it'll be twice as expensive, but much easier/faster to complete as it just requires 24 newer credits: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/award-of-degrees
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Vle045
Here is the quote from the UMPI’s current catalog:

Post-Baccalaureate Study for Second Degree
Students who have already earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, other than UMPI, will receive a waiver of UMPI’s General Education Curriculum requirements. This waiver will be noted on the student’s academic record during the transfer credit evaluation process.

http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?cato...ond-degree

As noted above, UMPI is not the only school to do this and there are other good (maybe better for you) options, but better to have things from the horse’s mouth.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 2 users Like freeloader's post:
  • rachel83az, Vle045
(04-05-2021, 09:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Essentially, many many colleges, including the Big 3 or CBE programs will allow someone with a Bachelors degree to obtain a second Bachelors degree by finishing the requirements of that second degree.  Basically, a majority of those second degrees just requires that Area of Study, or Concentration, or Major, and that generally consists of 30 credits.  I wouldn't just look at one college or university, I would take a look at a few, TESU has ACBSP programmatic/secondary accreditation for their BSBA programs.  Another option is to get the MBA at Walden for FREE first term and pay a second term of $2700 for your MBA that is also ACBSP!

Here's an example from COSC, if you have a bachelors, this would be the cheapest as you will only require the Capstone (I think the cornerstone is omitted, as in the case for TESU as well) : https://www.charteroak.edu/prospective/a...degree.php  - If you only need to take the Capstone and pay the grad fee, this will be under 2K - even if you require extra Upper Level courses to round out the 30 credits, you can get those from Study.com cheaply.  If you're looking at TESU, it'll be twice as expensive, but much easier/faster to complete as it just requires 24 newer credits: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/award-of-degrees

Where did you see that option for Walden?  When I looked, it was almost $30,000
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(04-05-2021, 11:27 PM)Vle045 Wrote: Where did you see that option for Walden?  When I looked, it was almost $30,000

See this thread in the graduate forum for their current discount offers: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...am-is-back
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(04-06-2021, 02:07 AM)jch Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 11:27 PM)Vle045 Wrote: Where did you see that option for Walden?  When I looked, it was almost $30,000

See this thread in the graduate forum for their current discount offers: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...am-is-back

Thanks!  It is an interesting consideration.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)

(04-05-2021, 09:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Essentially, many many colleges, including the Big 3 or CBE programs will allow someone with a Bachelors degree to obtain a second Bachelors degree by finishing the requirements of that second degree.  Basically, a majority of those second degrees just requires that Area of Study, or Concentration, or Major, and that generally consists of 30 credits.  I wouldn't just look at one college or university, I would take a look at a few, TESU has ACBSP programmatic/secondary accreditation for their BSBA programs.  Another option is to get the MBA at Walden for FREE first term and pay a second term of $2700 for your MBA that is also ACBSP!

Here's an example from COSC, if you have a bachelors, this would be the cheapest as you will only require the Capstone (I think the cornerstone is omitted, as in the case for TESU as well) : https://www.charteroak.edu/prospective/a...degree.php  - If you only need to take the Capstone and pay the grad fee, this will be under 2K - even if you require extra Upper Level courses to round out the 30 credits, you can get those from Study.com cheaply.  If you're looking at TESU, it'll be twice as expensive, but much easier/faster to complete as it just requires 24 newer credits: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/award-of-degrees

Thanks for telling me about that deal at Walden.  I chatted with someone there about the “catch”.  They said there is no catch.  If you withdraw after the first free term, there is no further obligation.   I asked if it was kind of like a “try before you buy” deal, and he said yes.    I also might qualify for a discount because my husband is a veteran and also works for the dept of veteran’s affairs...
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

In general, schools don't make you start over when getting a second bachelor's degree - they mark all GE and Free Electives as completed, and you just do the major/concentration; plus any pre-reqs (so for a business degree, it would be College Algebra or some other math, Stats, Macroecon, Microecon, and maybe a few others depending on the school). They also then look at each individual course to see if you've done anything for the degree; so as an example, if you took macroeconomics or Calc, they'd mark those courses completed. Generally you also don't need to do the cornerstone.

At TESU, it works out to be 60cr for everything you need for the business degree. At COSC it's 45cr. At EC it's 51cr. I'm assuming with COSC and EC that you don't have to take the cornerstone (or Info Lit at EC), for 100% certainty you don't at TESU.

Prices at the Big 3 (capstone only):

COSC $1,717
EC $3,710
TESU $5,097

For that price, I would certainly do COSC, and it's an easy one to do. You can use Sophia and Study.com for all of your courses, and so I'd take Macro & Microecon, then take Stats (it won't count for anything but I'd still take it). Then switch to Study.com and do everything else, and then enroll at COSC and take the capstone and you're done. Of course, I'd call first and make sure that you don't have to take the cornerstone. Oh, and I'm not sure that they will take Business Stats from Study.com, so you'd have to take it through ALEKS for $20/mo.

UMPI is going to require more work since you have to do 30cr there minimum - and that will certainly take you 2-3 terms I think (it's a guestimate). In this case, I think you're better off at one of the Big 3, because you can know your costs up front - you KNOW exactly what it will cost to do the capstone and all of the fees, and so your only question is how quickly you can complete everything through Study.com and Sophia. But you're not plunking down $1400 up front to see if you can go quickly.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-06-2021, 11:04 AM)dfrecore Wrote: In general, schools don't make you start over when getting a second bachelor's degree - they mark all GE and Free Electives as completed, and you just do the major/concentration; plus any pre-reqs (so for a business degree, it would be College Algebra or some other math, Stats, Macroecon, Microecon, and maybe a few others depending on the school).  They also then look at each individual course to see if you've done anything for the degree; so as an example, if you took macroeconomics or Calc, they'd mark those courses completed.  Generally you also don't need to do the cornerstone.

At TESU, it works out to be 60cr for everything you need for the business degree.  At COSC it's 45cr.  At EC it's 51cr. I'm assuming with COSC and EC that you don't have to take the cornerstone (or Info Lit at EC), for 100% certainty you don't at TESU.

Prices at the Big 3 (capstone only):

COSC $1,717
EC $3,710
TESU $5,097

For that price, I would certainly do COSC, and it's an easy one to do.  You can use Sophia and Study.com for all of your courses, and so I'd take Macro & Microecon, then take Stats (it won't count for anything but I'd still take it). Then switch to Study.com and do everything else, and then enroll at COSC and take the capstone and you're done.  Of course, I'd call first and make sure that you don't have to take the cornerstone. Oh, and I'm not sure that they will take Business Stats from Study.com, so you'd have to take it through ALEKS for $20/mo.

UMPI is going to require more work since you have to do 30cr there minimum - and that will certainly take you 2-3 terms I think (it's a guestimate).  In this case, I think you're better off at one of the Big 3, because you can know your costs up front - you KNOW exactly what it will cost to do the capstone and all of the fees, and so your only question is how quickly you can complete everything through Study.com and Sophia. But you're not plunking down $1400 up front to see if you can go quickly.

Thank you for that breakdown.  I started off as a Psychology major and was required to take Probability & statistics, so maybe that would count.  I worked my tail off and just scraped by with a C.  And as crazy as it might seem, I was already thinking of doing an Algebra course on Sophia this summer with my son.  He’s been struggling in math and he’s going in to 9th grade.  I thought he might be motivated to “beat” me at it.  If we fail, no big deal.  But if we pass, then it’s bonus credits.  LOL.   I also took “Finite Math” in college.  I think that was supposed to be like a business math.  I am not even sure.  

For under $2,000, COSC sounds good.  Wink
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

COSC is very, very particular when it comes to their statistics courses. I doubt a generic statistics course would count for business statistics. It doesn't hurt to apply to find out, but be warned that it might not be what you'd hoped.

That said, ALEKS is not like a standard math course. It's easier in some ways and more challenging in others. Instead of Sophia, I would suggest trying out https://ea.asu.edu/courses/college-algeb...g-mat-117/ to see what the ALEKS system is like. It's free to sign up at ASU, you don't need a HS diploma, and if you're not taking the course for credit then you pay nothing. ALEKS is pretty amazing. You and your son can race to see who can complete their pie first.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-06-2021, 12:32 PM)rachel83az Wrote: COSC is very, very particular when it comes to their statistics courses. I doubt a generic statistics course would count for business statistics. It doesn't hurt to apply to find out, but be warned that it might not be what you'd hoped.

That said, ALEKS is not like a standard math course. It's easier in some ways and more challenging in others. Instead of Sophia, I would suggest trying out https://ea.asu.edu/courses/college-algeb...g-mat-117/ to see what the ALEKS system is like. It's free to sign up at ASU, you don't need a HS diploma, and if you're not taking the course for credit then you pay nothing. ALEKS is pretty amazing. You and your son can race to see who can complete their pie first.

I was suggesting a Stats course since Business Stats is required, and since it would be "free" through Sophia if he's already taking courses, then it's a good intro course.  THEN, OP could take Business Stats.

Warning about ALEKS: I and my kids all hated it (I LOATHED it, but they did more so).  Some people love it.  Just depends.  But if your kid can't basically teach themselves a course with no real instruction (basically it's textbook-based, no videos), they may get frustrated.

There are some better options to learn Algebra, I suggest Khan Academy if you're learning from scratch.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 401 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  Fastest & Easiest UMPI Bachelor's shawnette 8 400 04-05-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 383 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
Question Degree Planning: Seeking a Bachelor's Degree from UMPI JayJohnson813 12 913 12-01-2023, 01:02 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Fastest online bachelor’s degree SmugKitten 6 1,466 10-02-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  63 credits. Please help me finish my bachelor's Confusedali 10 636 09-28-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Confusedali
  Pierpont to Bachelor's Degree MidtownNYC 2 440 09-04-2023, 10:56 AM
  I Want A Bachelor's Degree Which Path Is The Fastest For Me?? jrose963 15 1,595 08-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: jrose963
  Pierpont to Bachelor's Degree? adaggiote 2 457 08-12-2023, 10:44 AM
  Need a Bachelor's degree for promotion. cj91 23 1,370 08-11-2023, 11:00 PM