Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Bachelor's and Assoc
I'm trying to get a TESU BSBA then COSC Psych degree.

Is there any way that an AA in Psych (from community college) helps me get the second degree? I think it doesn't help, because the school would still require the same amount of new credits, UL credits, and AoS credits.

In fact, I am worried about taking any Psych courses until after my BSBA conferral, because then they won't count as new.

All colleges beyond the Big "3" have a minimum number of 'resident credits" you must take from them. That number does vary? 99% seem to require 25% from them (aka also new). A very few very military friendly colleges require 3-6 SH only, but they are a huge exception.

Ideas Wrote:I'm trying to get a TESU BSBA then COSC Psych degree.

Is there any way that an AA in Psych (from community college) helps me get the second degree? I think it doesn't help, because the school would still require the same amount of new credits, UL credits, and AoS credits.

In fact, I am worried about taking any Psych courses until after my BSBA conferral, because then they won't count as new.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Life Long Learning Wrote:All colleges beyond the Big "3" have a minimum number of 'resident credits" you must take from them. That number does vary? 99% seem to require 25% from them (aka also new). A very few very military friendly colleges require 3-6 SH only, but they are a huge exception.

Yeah, I'm aware of that part. If I do the Psych bachelor's, it's going to be at COSC most likely. TESU is possible. Just wondering if my Associates should be in Psych or something else.

Ideas Wrote:I'm trying to get a TESU BSBA then COSC Psych degree.

I don't think an AA in Psych will help much, but I don't think it will hurt either. It really depends on how many Psych courses you need for the AA degree. For instance, at my local CC, it's 37cr in the major. BUT, part of that is Group Leadership and Process, Case Management, Law and Ethics, Intro to Sociology, and Intro to Psychological and Social Services. And, of course, all of the Psych courses are LL. So, many of these would come into the degree plan as non-Psych courses, and could be used as Gen Ed or Free Electives, so it's not like you lose them. Then, you would have to take the Psych courses still needed, and a bunch of UL courses. Since they are UL, they actually would come in in addition to these courses, not instead of.

If you end up taking too many courses in the Core/AOS, you can actually take "new" credits to replace the old. So if you brought Psych 101 into the degree, you could take the Psych 101 CLEP exam and it would be considered new, and the old Psych 101 would go to "other credits". At least, this is how it works at TESU, not sure what COSC says on this.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:If you end up taking too many courses in the Core/AOS, you can actually take "new" credits to replace the old. So if you brought Psych 101 into the degree, you could take the Psych 101 CLEP exam and it would be considered new, and the old Psych 101 would go to "other credits". At least, this is how it works at TESU, not sure what COSC says on this.

Thanks. I had started a thread to ask this, and the consensus there was that your "new" one would need to somehow be higher level. Like, a 3 credit course to replace a 2 credit course, or just a higher number. I hope not.

Ideas Wrote:Thanks. I had started a thread to ask this, and the consensus there was that your "new" one would need to somehow be higher level. Like, a 3 credit course to replace a 2 credit course, or just a higher number. I hope not.

Not sure what your asking here. COSC will likely require 24 new credits. Most if not all will have to be at the upper level. Upper Level means Junior or Senior level courses 300 or 400 level. Most will likely need to be in Psych....but not necessarily. They typically require 18 ul credits and a total of 36 in the concentration​.

Also,most of Charter Oak degrees are "general Ed with a concentration. A degree from there will not say BS/ BA in Psychology.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:Not sure what your asking here. COSC will likely require 24 new credits. Most if not all will have to be at the upper level. Upper Level means Junior or Senior level courses 300 or 400 level. Most will likely need to be in Psych....but not necessarily. They typically require 18 ul credits and a total of 36 in the concentration​.

COSC needs 30 new credits, but only 15 in AOS. I can use 9 older AOS credits from my first degree + 18 GRE credits.

But yeah, UL gets a little tricky.

rebel100 Wrote:Also,most of Charter Oak degrees are "general Ed with a concentration. A degree from there will not say BS/ BA in Psychology.

COSC now has BA in Psychology. It's one of the few that is not "General".

Are you sure it wouldn't be easier/cheaper to just get it done at TESC?

Do you know is COSC will still require both the capstone and cornerstone?
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:Are you sure it wouldn't be easier/cheaper to just get it done at TESC?

Do you know is COSC will still require both the capstone and cornerstone?

I am not sure but I believe the cost will be within $300 of each other. Mainly because of COSC giving the GRE credits, but I also believe TESU is more particular on requirements. I would try to add it up accurately and make a whole plan with specific courses before proceeding, but now I am wondering about doing the Psych Bachelor's at all.

COSC does require capstone and cornerstone.

I'm leaning toward skipping the Psych Bachelor's.

One other factor is I may need until Dec 2018, March 2019, or later for a Masters. I don't think I'll have my first Bachelor's until March 2018.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 284 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  Metropolia Transition to Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology aleksa 10 1,548 11-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: aleksa
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 605 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  I'm getting another Bachelor's degree nomaduser 21 1,930 10-20-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  These associate degree majors lead to higher incomes than a 4-year bachelor's. LevelUP 4 612 10-07-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,062 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  Mexican Bachelor of Engineering programs US$4200 elcastor21 2 442 08-31-2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Canada: 2x Unemployed Bachelor's holders than vacancies requiring Bachelor's Degrees JPN 1 606 05-28-2023, 06:12 PM