Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Bachelors after 15 yrs
I earned my Bachelors Degree in Business & Economics in 2001 from Wilson College. I have a concentration in Economics and a minor in Political Science at that time. I became an accountant and then in 2005 I became a stay at home mom to my now 4 boys. Fast forward 15 years (wow) and my youngest turned 12 this year and will be going off to high school in 2 years. We currently homeschool so the plan right now is to continue doing that until he goes to high school. I do not want to go back into the Accounting field. I was thinking of going back and getting a Bachelors in either Homeland Security/Emergency Management or in Criminal Justice. Since its been so long since I received my degree will I likely have to complete the entire degree again? I tried researching it but there isn't really any information on how long your credits would transfer to a second degree. Definitely would like to go mostly, if not fully, online so looking at the Big 3 mostly. Any information would be appreciated.
I did a 2nd BS degree 30 years apart.  All of my GEN ED credits 35-years old still counted.  IT and Business are two that sometimes time out, but you have a business degree.  They make you get a second different major in the Big 3.  My first was in business.  My second was in HSEM. If I do a third it will be in history.

What do you want the second-degree major in?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Excelsior and Thomas Edison both have bachelor's in homeland security. Thomas Edison also a criminal justice. I think your first step would to apply to both of these schools and send all your transcripts and see what happens. Then you can get a picture of what you have left to complete.

Thomas Edison has a policy for a second bachelor all gen eds and free electives are waived so all you need is the major. I believe Excelsior has something similar.
Walden Tempo program has a criminal justice/public management/leadership master's program:

https://www.waldenu.edu/online-masters-p...ency-based
Your first degree counts anywhere - nobody cares how old it is. So you will be getting a second bachelor's degree no matter where you decide to go - and a 2nd bachelor's degree is different than a first degree. Generally, you only need courses in your major, as your previous degree will count towards any GE and electives. So something like 30-60cr, depending on where you end up.

That being said, I would not necessarily get another degree just yet. Many times, whatever degree you already have is enough to make a career change. Many companies/agencies just want to check that box, and you have checked it. So, before spending any time/money on another degree, you're much better off researching careers - and once you figure out exactly what you want to DO, then figure out if you need more education in the new field. If you DO, then you need to figure out the education you need. You may be better off getting an undergrad certificate, some sort of certification, or even a MA degree rather than another bachelor's degree. So I would say that you need to spend a lot of time researching before jumping into another degree that you may not need.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Essentially, If it was me, I would need to decide on two paths - to do a second Bachelors or to get a Masters. Once that decision is made, then I would choose between the Big 3 for the Bachelors or for the Masters, I would recommend going the Competency Based degree provider route. You also want to check the requirements for each degree and make sure it fits your cost and time constraints...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,007 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 823 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Second bachelors for my sister? IceSparkle 22 1,453 09-18-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Computing & IT - UK Bachelors Equivalent - £905.00 bjcheung77 15 3,248 05-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  East Central (OK) Accepts 90 credits transfer for Bachelors bjcheung77 2 734 04-05-2022, 12:46 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  How can I speed up my bachelors? arcangel27 29 2,467 03-15-2022, 03:56 PM
Last Post: arcangel27
  Most common majors (Bachelors) bjcheung77 14 1,594 01-31-2022, 07:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  EdX Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate degree expansion bjcheung77 3 1,085 01-06-2022, 07:07 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Free Bachelors Degrees for Union Member letterchaser202 32 3,683 11-24-2021, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wow
  Community College Bachelors Degrees Alpha 4 1,635 05-11-2021, 07:14 PM
Last Post: ashkir