Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Degree Policy
Anyone know if GE requirements are waived for students seeking second bachelor degrees?
BABA, New England College, 2019
I inquired about a second degree from EC last year. I was told that the gen eds are waived. They also require an ADDITIONAL 30 UL credits to be completed AFTER your first degree is conferred. Yes. 30 MORE UL credits. Not 30 credits. 30 UL credits. I asked 3 times because I didn't think they understood what I was asking, but they did.
(08-17-2021, 08:42 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I inquired about a second degree from EC last year. I was told that the gen eds are waived. They also require an ADDITIONAL 30 UL credits to be completed AFTER your first degree is conferred. Yes. 30 MORE UL credits. Not 30 credits. 30 UL credits. I asked 3 times because I didn't think they understood what I was asking, but they did.

30 after?! Yikes :o
BABA, New England College, 2019
[-] The following 1 user Likes harrypotter's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(08-17-2021, 08:59 PM)harrypotter Wrote:
(08-17-2021, 08:42 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I inquired about a second degree from EC last year. I was told that the gen eds are waived. They also require an ADDITIONAL 30 UL credits to be completed AFTER your first degree is conferred. Yes. 30 MORE UL credits. Not 30 credits. 30 UL credits. I asked 3 times because I didn't think they understood what I was asking, but they did.

30?! Yikes :o

Yeah. 30 UL credits. I was like yeah forget it. I'll go to grad school. That's only 36 credits for the most part.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
Wow. They don't let you use other credits you didn't apply to previous degrees, just ones you took after conferral date of 1st degree?
(09-20-2021, 04:00 PM)Skirtlet Wrote: Wow. They don't let you use other credits you didn't apply to previous degrees, just ones you took after conferral date of 1st degree?

Nope. You have to complete a whole brand new 30 UL credits dated after your degree is conferred. They didn't really seem like they wanted people to complete a second degree.
(09-20-2021, 04:00 PM)Skirtlet Wrote: Wow. They don't let you use other credits you didn't apply to previous degrees, just ones you took after conferral date of 1st degree?

TESU has the same policy (sort of) - 30 new credits in the AoS.  Your previous credits can be used in the AoS if they meet the requirements, and most AoS's are 45-60cr, so that's not really an issue.  So for example, if you took macroecon and microecon previously in a BALS degree, and you want to do a BSBA, they will give you credits for those.  But you'll need 30 new credits in the Core/AoS for that degree, so there's a max of what you can bring in.

Also, I don't think most schools look at "credits you didn't apply to previous degrees;" they generally waive GE's and Free Electives, and then look at everything you took, and apply what counts towards the new degree you're looking at. They don't care what was "used" since you can't really use up credits like that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • CatsDomino
(09-21-2021, 09:43 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

TESU has the same policy (sort of) - 30 new credits in the AoS.  Your previous credits can be used in the AoS if they meet the requirements, and most AoS's are 45-60cr, so that's not really an issue.  So for example, if you took macroecon and microecon previously in a BALS degree, and you want to do a BSBA, they will give you credits for those.  But you'll need 30 new credits in the Core/AoS for that degree, so there's a max of what you can bring in.

Also, I don't think most schools look at "credits you didn't apply to previous degrees;" they generally waive GE's and Free Electives, and then look at everything you took, and apply what counts towards the new degree you're looking at. They don't care what was "used" since you can't really use up credits like that.

At EC, the additional 30 credits must be UL.
(09-21-2021, 11:43 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 09:43 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

At EC, the additional 30 credits must be UL.

That's why I said "(sort of)" but I was explaining to Skirtlet about "using up" credits rather than what EC would want you to bring in.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Does Excelsior accept 30 'new' credits from sophia.org or similar for the second bachelor degree?

I guess I could see a new BA degree being useful in a major career change from an initial BA, but Excelsior degrees don't seem that specific. Even then, a master's degree wouldn't be many more credits than 30 and could accomplish the same task. I like the idea of getting degrees as cheap as possible, but 30 credits is quite a bit unless they accept sophia or alternative credits for the 30 'new' credits. I've got a friend who wants a second bachelor's degree for the same of modernizing her resume. I could see the utility for people long beyond their initial BA wanting to do a BA in a more 'modern' field, such as a BA in digital marketing.I think she should get a second masters, but perhaps there are benefits to a second BA. If she could get it using sophia.org credits or alternative credits, I think it would be a nice cheap degree for her.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Planning Advice For Research (Upper Level) Credit Dnightowl 4 508 01-30-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is this a new policy smithpaint 8 928 01-04-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,170 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,074 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior BS Criminal Justice degree plan new2this 4 814 03-01-2023, 01:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EU Degree Cost? NBM123 14 2,229 11-28-2022, 10:08 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior business degree plan desireelws50 7 1,395 11-15-2022, 06:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  EU Business Degree Courses NBM123 5 1,126 09-16-2022, 08:49 AM
Last Post: new2this
  Excelsior degree plans on the wiki rachel83az 9 2,213 05-24-2022, 06:46 AM