Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Degree at TESC - Need expert advice
I'm taking my last 2 classes for my BSBA in Operations Management this semester (Apr -June 2015) and I'll be done (yay!). Looking at Sanatone's excellent degree plans on wiki...and using the OSS tool on the TESC site, it seems I would only need the 24 required credits for a second BSBA degree in Human Resources / Organizational Management. And I'm thinking of starting that in July or August of this year.

I didn't realize I could test out of so many courses when I registered last November. And I paid the comprehensive plan (please be kind, I was a nubie to this whole thing). But what worked about that was I checked with advisement every step of the way so far. I knew and had email confirmation of what was approved to be put where in my plan before investing time and money in tests, etc.

Since my comprehensive plan lasts a year (until Nov 2015), I can still use the academic advising, right? Could I come up with a list of what I plan to use for the next degree and ask them about it now as I finish my first degree? That way I could take all the tests, etc first and pay enrolled options when I'm ready to submit transcripts and enroll for the one class I need to have a GPA in the specialization. But man...$1600 for transferred credits and the additional money for the class seems like alot, right?

Does this sound like it will work...the overall plan and the idea to pre-use advisement? Is there a more economical way to do this?

As always... thank you all!
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
MBA - Management & Strategy, WGU, July 2016
BSBA - Operations Management, TESU, Sept. 2015
AAS - Dietetic Technology, Middlesex County College, May 1999
I can only assume that the second degree you're thinking about is very similar to the one you're currently pursuing, and as such, would offer little value besides personal enrichment. Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think TESC will allow getting two degrees under the same field, even if they have different focuses (ie two bsba degrees or two liberal arts degrees).
Hunter91, good question. But actually the second degree is strategic. My current degree I'm working on is BSBA in Operations Management which tells potential employers I can manage/direct a business or area. The second degree I'm considering is BSBA in Human Resources/Organizational Management which speaks to managing and leading the employees reporting to me as manager/director.

I have over 15 years of experience in both of these areas but no degrees to back it up. Although I've been successful in my career, I hit a wall a few years ago. I couldn't get a position with increased challenges despite trying for over 2 years, thus my decision to obtain a degree.
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
Hunter91 is correct, you are not allowed two degrees from the same school.

For a second degree (ex School of Heavin Arts & Sciences or School of Applied Science & Technology) you would need earn 24 NEW credits in the Area of Study after the conferral date of your first degree. So if you were to graduate on June 15th, for example, you can begin to earn new credits on June 16th. Although from my experience when testing it is best to wait at least a minimum of one or two weeks from conferral date. TESC tends to blur the dates a bit when to close together.[INDENT]Note: When seeking a degree from another school you must meet all requirements of the new degree. This of course can lead to needing more than just the required 24 NEW credits. [/INDENT]

The only way to earn two degrees from the same school (BSBA Ops Mgmt & HR/Org Mgmt) is to change your current program to a dual Area of Study (Concentration/Specialization) degree. I asked about this and if memory serves for the BSBA you only need fill both specialization/area of study for each. That means 18cr Ops Mgmt and 18cr HR/OM. (For the BA it's much more.) Not sure you would want to do something like this so close to the end but depending on your timeframe it may be the best solution for what you would like to accomplish.

Edit to Add: My cost estimate depends on the amount of credits remaining in your comprehensive plan bundle. If you have at least six (6) to cover the TESC courses outlined below, you could easily complete the 18CR for an additional $350 (PF, DSST). And, finish well before your enrollment ends in November; you would only need one additional semester (July-September). This also delays graduation by 3 months, moved from September to December 2015. Given the information you provided, the cost/time and plan below, I would pursue the dual concentration.

Sample Plan -

HR/OM Area of Study Required:[INDENT]TESC OL/GS Organizational Theory
DSST Human Resource Management
[DONE] DSST Organizational Behavior [/INDENT]

HR/OM Area of Study Electives:[INDENT]TESC ePack Industrial Psychology (I still have my notes if needed)
Penn Foster (Choose 1) - Labor Relations, Training Concepts, or Compensation Management
[DONE] TECEP Public Relations - Thought & Practice[/INDENT]

Hope this adds clarity and Good Luck!

See the following article for more information:
The Secret to Earning a Second Degree

TESC Award of Degrees (Source: College Catalog)

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Bricabrac - thank you! gave me a clear understanding of my options. I have only 3 credits left in my comprehensive bundle. Have to sleep on the idea of delaying graduation by 3 months. And I'm not entirely sure the HR/OM would say to potential employers what I want it to. *sigh*

Maybe an MBA is more what I should be concentrating on next? Wish I could CLEP a "mind read hiring manager" exam and be proficient in knowing exactly what they want. So hard to make decisions with no data.
-Dina
passit1 Wrote:Bricabrac - thank you! gave me a clear understanding of my options. I have only 3 credits left in my comprehensive bundle. Have to sleep on the idea of delaying graduation by 3 months. And I'm not entirely sure the HR/OM would say to potential employers what I want it to. *sigh*

Maybe an MBA is more what I should be concentrating on next? Wish I could CLEP a "mind read hiring manager" exam and be proficient in knowing exactly what they want. So hard to make decisions with no data.

First of all, you will have a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration which pretty much has you covered in every area of business except for accounting, information systems, and finance where they would often want you to have a concentration or major in those areas. Even though the specialization you're looking at is called human resources/organizational management, it is more geared toward human resources. Human resources courses are helpful for learning how to deal with personnel issues, but it's not a general management or leadership area of study. You can try to stuff as many leadership courses in there as possible for personal development, but you would have to take these as courses.

In my opinion, your degree shows that you have a formal education in a skill set, and your work experience shows that you know how to manage people. An MBA might be helpful for moving upward in almost any field, but a bachelor's degree with a concentration in human resources after already having a BSBA probably won't. But, all of this doesn't matter because TESC won't allow you to earn two similar degrees. There are only 18 credits separating all of the BSBA degrees. You can, however, get two degrees from the same school as long as they are substantially different. For example, you can earn a BA in Computer Science after having earned a BA in English even though they are both in the Heavin School of Arts and Sciences. On the other hand, TESC might not let you earn two degrees across two different schools if they will be similar i.e. BSAST in Information Technology and BA in Computer Science. I gathered this from when I was trying to create an LDAS in Security Management for the BSBA degree. The advisor told me that I already used a lot of CJ and homeland security credits for my BA in Social Science.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
passit1 Wrote:Bricabrac - thank you! gave me a clear understanding of my options. I have only 3 credits left in my comprehensive bundle. Have to sleep on the idea of delaying graduation by 3 months. And I'm not entirely sure the HR/OM would say to potential employers what I want it to. *sigh*

If you are looking for the most bang for the buck, which is how I tend to view everything, I would discuss options with an Advisor. I'd recommend scheduling a formal phone appointment not the expressline. In the same vein have you also considered activating the AA Gen Studies? With the BSBA you will have met all reurirements for this AA. It is a freebie when conferred at tthe same time as the Bachelor's because you only pay one graduation fee.

Additional thoughts:

If you don't want to wait an added three months to graduate -

You could use the final three credits to register for the required Organizational Theory course for the May semester and still graduate in September. Even though a lot of work, TESC students are known to take a full course load. I never took more than two courses and a TECEP per semester. At least if you stagger semesters you will not have three midterms/finals due at the same time.

Next, choose two of the three Penn Foster courses to fill the HR/OM electives section. The cost will still be nominal: $500 PF, $100 DSST. That's a small price to pay for a second concentration and you could add both distinctions to your resume.

Those that I know at the level of HR Director and above hold an MSHRM and SHRM certification. Managers and below, most have either a Bachelor's in Business (HR, Management) or Social Sciences (Psy, Soc). You will find other degrees as well but unless they plan on seeking out a Masters, or waiting out the required years experience, they are usually pigeonholed.
Masters in Human Resources Online | Best Online Colleges | Best Online Universities | GetEducated.com

Another benefit in this scenario, if interested in any other second degree (BA, BSAST) you can still continue on through a second or third year utilizing the pay per credit tuition plan. You would simply notify the Bursar you plan on reenrolling for a second year using PPC tuition plan. Then choose a TECEP and register for the November or December semester. (Ask the Bursar which semester to choose.) The 10th day of the semester you are moved to active status. You can repeat the process for however long you need, just keep in mind one TECEP per year allows a full year enrollment. You've already met the 24cr residency requirement so you could just test (TECEP/DSST/CLEP) or transfer in affordable courses to fill up the area of study.

Good luck in whatever you decide, it's great to have options!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
passit1 Wrote:Hunter91, good question. But actually the second degree is strategic. My current degree I'm working on is BSBA in Operations Management which tells potential employers I can manage/direct a business or area. The second degree I'm considering is BSBA in Human Resources/Organizational Management which speaks to managing and leading the employees reporting to me as manager/director.

I have over 15 years of experience in both of these areas but no degrees to back it up. Although I've been successful in my career, I hit a wall a few years ago. I couldn't get a position with increased challenges despite trying for over 2 years, thus my decision to obtain a degree.

Respectfully, your 15 years experience in management is what tells a prospective employer you can manage people.
Cookderosa - I agree but I really don't know how to get noticed by hiring managers and recruiters. They seem to operate with no logic at all. Navigating the recruitment process is akin to traversing wonderland.
-Dina
passit1 Wrote:Cookderosa - I agree but I really don't know how to get noticed by hiring managers and recruiters. They seem to operate with no logic at all. Navigating the recruitment process is akin to traversing wonderland.

I get that. I think finishing this first degree (combined with your experience) may start to open doors for you. It's a tough economy for everyone, and even if this doesn't push you to the front of the pack, it at least puts you on level ground with the guys who have the degree. Seriously, I don't have a crystal ball, but don't sell yourself short.

I think planning a second degree is premature and may (in some cases) initiate more questions than answers. Getting this first degree is an accomplishment, congratulations!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,153 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,618 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,939 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,653 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero