Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Degree at TESC - Need expert advice
Thank you - I was coming to this slowly myself. Due to a combination of issues outside of my scope at my previous position, I've taken a step down and over to another industry. By doing this, I went out on a very high note and will gain experience in an industry directly involved in supply chain and logistics. Lots less stress while finishing my degree. After June, I'll concentrate on establishing myself in this new industry and see where that takes me.
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
MBA - Management & Strategy, WGU, July 2016
BSBA - Operations Management, TESU, Sept. 2015
AAS - Dietetic Technology, Middlesex County College, May 1999
passit1 Wrote:Hunter91, good question. But actually the second degree is strategic. My current degree I'm working on is BSBA in Operations Management which tells potential employers I can manage/direct a business or area. The second degree I'm considering is BSBA in Human Resources/Organizational Management which speaks to managing and leading the employees reporting to me as manager/director.

I have over 15 years of experience in both of these areas but no degrees to back it up. Although I've been successful in my career, I hit a wall a few years ago. I couldn't get a position with increased challenges despite trying for over 2 years, thus my decision to obtain a degree.

Passit1,

Being in the Supply Chain field myself (or at least a subset), I don't think the HRM concentration is going to do much for your resume. Operations Mgmt already speaks to your technical ability to manage a SC. An advance degree or certificate will stand out much more to recruiters and hiring managers. For example, an MBA, a Master of Mgmt, or an Executive certificate. Also, if you haven't done so already, membership in a professional organization, especially with a certification will open more doors. The Bachelor's will give you a key, the Master's opens the vault.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:Passit1,

Being in the Supply Chain field myself (or at least a subset), I don't think the HRM concentration is going to do much for your resume. Operations Mgmt already speaks to your technical ability to manage a SC. An advance degree or certificate will stand out much more to recruiters and hiring managers. For example, an MBA, a Master of Mgmt, or an Executive certificate. Also, if you haven't done so already, membership in a professional organization, especially with a certification will open more doors. The Bachelor's will give you a key, the Master's opens the vault.

Thank you! This is very helpful. I've been thinking of next steps and was thinking of joining APICS short term and going for an MBA starting next year. Sound like they would be worthwhile. I really appreciate the input and advice.
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
I wanted to apologize for my bad advice. I misread your post and thought you were leaning towards HR but it was actually org management. I would have saved us both some time if I had read your post more carefully.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote:I wanted to apologize for my bad advice. I misread your post and thought you were leaning towards HR but it was actually org management. I would have saved us both some time if I had read your post more carefully.

There is a lesson in everything. Perhaps if it was a resume someone was reading they would think the same thing? Proves the point of all the good advice in this thread.

I think my next step after finishing in June is to join APICS and get some networking going while continuing with my new purchasing position. In September, after commencement, I think I might apply to WGU for an MBA.
-Dina
You would want to go to with a Masters instead of another Bachelor degree. I did an MBA at WGU, and I can definitely say that if you're comfortable with the testing out of courses way of independent learning, you'll do fine with their competency model.
passit1 Wrote:There is a lesson in everything. Perhaps if it was a resume someone was reading they would think the same thing? Proves the point of all the good advice in this thread.

I think my next step after finishing in June is to join APICS and get some networking going while continuing with my new purchasing position. In September, after commencement, I think I might apply to WGU for an MBA.

Yeah, if I had read more thoroughly I would not have suggested the dual degree. Anyway, if memory serves someone else on the forum mentioned (or pursued) a masters degree in your field. I'll try a quick search to see if I can locate the thread/post. But yeah, for your needs WGU, FHSU or even APU may be worth investigating.

Oh, I found it...Masters in Operations Mgmt, Univ of Arkansas, pssted by Soliloquy

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...ement.html

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,154 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,619 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,940 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,655 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero