Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Most Credentialed Person in Modern History
As long as you've been with my company for a year, they would reimburse the standard amount for a receptionist or any entry level job to get their MBA or any degree that you can justify as business related (and it doesn't seem too strict, as they were fine with both my sociology and psychology). you then have to stay with the company for the year following the reimbursement or you're on the hook to repay them. Granted, the amount they reimburse wouldn't be much for a traditional school, but for places like WGU and Patten and such, it covers almost the entirety of the program.

I realize this will vary by employer though, and I'm lucky with what they offer in this respect.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(01-14-2018, 05:56 PM)davewill Wrote: Why wouldn't they pay for a receptionist to get an MBA? Besides the fact that someone who already has a bachelor's should be able to do better than receptionist, I mean? The idea is usually to improve staff so as to be able to promote from within.

My employer would pay. An administrative assistant can move up to being an office manager or executive assistant. Besides, it would be kind of discriminatory to not offer educational benefits to lower-level employees.

My employer offers tuition reimbursement for degrees related to the current position (business is related to administrative assistant work) or another position within the department. Hardly any of the jobs at my agency require a masters degree, but my employer still pays for them.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(01-14-2018, 05:56 PM)davewill Wrote: Why wouldn't they pay for a receptionist to get an MBA? 

because the company is investing its money 
and they want a good return on their investment 

if the receptionist has no degree and she's applying for a bachelors in business or finance, then fine   
pay for that bachelors 

if she has a bachelors in psychology or english and she's applying for a 2nd bachelors in business or finance, then fine   
pay for that bachelors 

but if she has a bachelors in psychology or english and she's applying for an MBA ??
no way 

a receptionist with no business experience applying for an MBA ??
its a bad, risky investment
Several companies I was with would pay for the receptionist to get an MBA. The company policy was x number of dollars for x kind of degree for x period of time. You couldn't discriminate based on job title.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes rlw74's post:
  • Muldoon
(01-14-2018, 07:20 PM)rlw74 Wrote: Several companies I was with would pay for the receptionist to get an MBA. The company policy was x number of dollars for x kind of degree for x period of time. You couldn't discriminate based on job title.

That does sound right.  Thanks for sharing! Smile
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(01-14-2018, 06:10 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(01-14-2018, 05:56 PM)davewill Wrote: Why wouldn't they pay for a receptionist to get an MBA? Besides the fact that someone who already has a bachelor's should be able to do better than receptionist, I mean? The idea is usually to improve staff so as to be able to promote from within.

My employer would pay. An administrative assistant can move up to being an office manager or executive assistant. Besides, it would be kind of discriminatory to not offer educational benefits to lower-level employees.

My employer offers tuition reimbursement for degrees related to the current position (business is related to administrative assistant work) or another position within the department. Hardly any of the jobs at my agency require a masters degree, but my employer still pays for them.

Companies ARE allowed to "discriminate" and write policies stating that they will pay for a BA only, or that the education has to be job-related, or even that they won't pay for anything at all.  Private employers get to do that - and they get to choose why they will/won't pay for things, as long as it's not because of the legal forms of discrimination like race or creed or sex.  So saying "we will pay for people in the marketing department to get a marketing degree" is totally legal.

Then, they can do one-off's for higher-level degrees.  So a higher-level employee could specifically request to get an MBA, and the company could pay for it, even if they didn't pay for MBA's for all employees.

Obviously this does not apply to government employees, since the government is happy to pay for all sorts of things whether they make business sense or not, since it's not their money.

And PLENTY of employers don't have tuition reimbursement at all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Oh I wasn't saying they *can't* discriminate in general but it usually has to be pretty clear in the policy. The companies I was with would pay for business degrees only within certain parameters such as having been at the company a certain period of time, certain dollar amount , and you had to pay ahead of time and were reimbursed based on the grade you got in the class. But, in my case, none of them stopped the receptionist from getting the same degree as the executive across the hall. Of course I would always check before I was hired if that's important. A lot don't pay anything anymore. It's a perk that has been dropped from a lot of companies - kind of like pensions and adequate vacation time etc. I just wouldn't automatically assume it's ridiculous to pay for a receptionist to get an MBA.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
(01-15-2018, 12:43 PM)rlw74 Wrote: But, in my case, none of them stopped the receptionist from getting the same degree as the executive across the hall. Of course I would always check before I was hired if that's important. A lot don't pay anything anymore. It's a perk that has been dropped from a lot of companies - kind of like pensions and adequate vacation time etc. I just wouldn't automatically assume it's ridiculous to pay for a receptionist to get an MBA.

MANY companies want there to be a compelling business interest in paying for things.  Helping employees get more education IS in their best interest, BTW, which is why they do it.  But paying for something that is not required or helpful to the employee's job is NOT in the companies best interest to do, so they won't do it.  They are responsible to shareholders, and have to balance employee morale with profit and all kinds of other things.  Obviously, not every company is the same, but I'd much rather work for a company WITH a tuition reimbursement plan that was fairly restrictive than for one who doesn't have one at all.

And we should all be very happy that pensions are going the way of the dodo bird.  401(k)'s are a MUCH better option for all concerned.  If your employer should go belly-up someday, say goodbye to your pension.  It was always in their name, they own it, and if they're gone, it's gone.  You may get pennies on the dollar if you're very lucky.  Many municipalities will be doing this in the coming decades.  If you have a 401(k), it is YOUR money.  If your company goes belly-up, the 401(k) is fine, it was never in the companies name.  You also make more on it than they do on a pension.  And when you die, your 401(k) goes to your heirs, your pension dies with you (or your spouse if you choose to continue it but for less money each month).  401(k) is just a better product.  AND, companies can put money into your 401(k), whether through matching, or by just depositing money in there (my husband's company does both).  Even if an employee doesn't contribute to the 401(k), every person in his company has some money in there, because the company put some in for them.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-15-2018, 12:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-14-2018, 06:10 PM)sanantone Wrote:

Companies ARE allowed to "discriminate" and write policies stating that they will pay for a BA only, or that the education has to be job-related, or even that they won't pay for anything at all.  Private employers get to do that - and they get to choose why they will/won't pay for things, as long as it's not because of the legal forms of discrimination like race or creed or sex.  So saying "we will pay for people in the marketing department to get a marketing degree" is totally legal.

Then, they can do one-off's for higher-level degrees.  So a higher-level employee could specifically request to get an MBA, and the company could pay for it, even if they didn't pay for MBA's for all employees.

Obviously this does not apply to government employees, since the government is happy to pay for all sorts of things whether they make business sense or not, since it's not their money.

And PLENTY of employers don't have tuition reimbursement at all.

I never said that there was a legal requirement. I'm well aware of the federal law on protected classes, most people are. All I said was that it was discriminatory, which it is. Something doesn't have to be illegal to be discrimination. Geeze. All of that lecturing over something I never said.

Even though I work for the government, we are required to prove that the degree is related to our job or another job we can take in the department. If an administrative assistant wants a nursing degree and works for Health and Human Services, then it is in the government's best interest to pay for that degree. Do you know why? HHS has a critical shortage of nurses.

If the administrative assistant has many years of experience and wants to manage other administrative assistants, then an MBA is reasonable. This is Texas. They're cheaper than most big employers. They have a limited amount of funds available for tuition reimbursement each year. Honestly, the government and non-profits are more likely to have very limited funding because they have budgets allotted on an annual or biannual basis that are affected by budget shortfalls, tax cuts, and the movement of funds to other areas. Texas just realizes that just about every job has a career ladder, and everyone is capable of moving up. If you want reimbursement, you just have to request it early before they run out of funding.

I'd much rather work for an employer that uses common sense and treats its employees well. An employer would have to be clueless to deny paying for a secretary's degree after he or she has been working for the company for years just to turn around and hire someone externally for an office manager position that requires a degree. The companies that keep their employees promote from within. Since you were in human resources, you should know that many, if not most, office managers start in lower-level, administrative assistant positions.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(01-15-2018, 04:48 PM)sanantone Wrote: I'd much rather work for an employer that uses common sense and treats its employees well. An employer would have to be clueless to deny paying for a secretary's degree after he or she has been working for the company for years just to turn around and hire someone externally for an office manager position that requires a degree. The companies that keep their employees promote from within. Since you were in human resources, you should know that many, if not most, office managers start in lower-level, administrative assistant positions.

If you want common sense: in your example, if the secretary had been at the company for years, and had shown that she could do the job of office manager, I in my role in HR would encourage the hiring manager to just promote her, without requiring a degree.  Office manager is NOT a job that should require a degree at all (and places I worked, it didn't).  The most common sense plan to me, is not to put arbitrary degree requirements on jobs, so that you don't have to pay for someone to get a degree when the job duties don't require it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video A Modern Movie That Shows the Brutal Life of Communism LevelUP 1 532 04-10-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Modern Languages Launches Online Language Courses LevelUP 0 450 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  History of Degree "Hacking" collegehacked 8 2,667 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: collegehacked
  Is a psychology or history degree useless? missbootyfull 6 1,988 08-12-2019, 12:51 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Finding a Degree of a Deceased Person? quigongene 13 2,285 02-22-2018, 09:48 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  A Disturbing Truth About the History of Our Educational System - Video Saharapost 2 1,224 10-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Trying to Rewrite History...Good Idea or Bad Idea? marianne202 6 1,388 07-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  Finished management history with a 99% ryoder 4 1,188 08-16-2011, 05:36 AM
Last Post: ryoder
  Help me plan out my winter testing - 2(or 3) DSST History Exams needgames4lyfe 6 2,106 10-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Last Post: needgames4lyfe
  Is anyone a family history buff? Lindagerr 19 3,155 06-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Last Post: NAP