Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second degree?
With a decent number of transferable brick-and-mortar credits, I'm considering a second BA (at TESU or another school), with English for the first and Liberal Studies as the second. Since I have a bunch of Psychology and Communication courses I was planning on doing as BA English Free Electives, if I am to do a second BA, it is best if I have everything planned out from the beginning.

The TESU BALS portion is the following:

Quote:II. Area of Study: Liberal Studies
Students select option A or B
A. Students complete a total of 30 credits of Liberal Studies courses that include at least 15 credits at the 300/400 level and no more than 6 credits at the 100 level.

B. Students select an 18-credit concentration from the list below and complete an additional 12 credits of Liberal Studies courses.
Communications
Computer Science
Criminal Justice
General Management
Healthcare Management
Health and Wellness
Human Resources Management
Humanities
Labor Studies
Natural Sciences/Mathematics
Psychology
Social Sciences

Here is an email from TESU on the subject—however, which dates back to May, 2016—from this post:

TESU email Wrote:The University does not award third Bachelor's degrees. However, if you wish to earn a second degree after the completion of your BSBA, you will be subject to the second degree policy which states,

1. Students must complete a minimum of 12 additional NEW credits in the option for a second associate degree and 24 additional NEW credits in the area of study/core for a second baccalaureate degree beyond the date all prior degrees were completed.
2. Students must select an option which is significantly different from their previous degree(s).
3. Students must complete all requirements for the degree as listed in the current Thomas Edison State University Catalog.
4. The University will not award a third baccalaureate degree.

Also, while pursuing the second degree, if you do not meet the 16 credit residency required under the Per Credit Tuition plan, you will need to pay the Residency Waiver Fee.

• The TESU AOS guidelines say you need 18 credits from the categories listed, and 12 LS credits. With the 24 credit requirement for a second degree, how would this work out—would it be 16 from the categories listed and 10 LS credits, or 12 non-LS and 12 LS?
  • Would I need to complete the Liberal Studies Capstone?
  • Would a BA in English and a BALS be possible (point 2 in the TESU email)?
  • There are different sources on the forum saying you wouldn't be required to pay the Residency Waiver Fee if for example you complete the second degree in the same year (email isn't reliable according the the thread the post is in)—has this been confirmed since the past few years?
Any other requirements/points for second degrees that I might be missing?
if you have alot of psy and communication credits, why wouldn't you just do a psy or communication BA?
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

For what it's worth, the BA in Psychology is completely test/alt-credit friendly, so might be a better choice for a second Area of Study than Lib Studies
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(11-20-2018, 11:54 AM)pws Wrote: ...
  • The TESU AOS guidelines say you need 18 credits from the categories listed, and 12 LS credits. With the 24 credit requirement for a second degree, how would this work out—would it be 16 from the categories listed and 10 LS credits, or 12 non-LS and 12 LS?
  • Would I need to complete the Liberal Studies Capstone?
  • Would a BA in English and a BALS be possible (point 2 in the TESU email)?
  • There are different sources on the forum saying you wouldn't be required to pay the Residency Waiver Fee if for example you complete the second degree in the same year (email isn't reliable according the the thread the post is in)—has this been confirmed since the past few years?
Any other requirements/points for second degrees that I might be missing?

You have to meet the all requirements for both degrees. There's no guaranty that new 24 credits will be enough, just that at least 24 of the credits must be new. I would expect they could appear anywhere in the AOS. But that's moot...if you're doing two BAs at the same time, it's not a second degree, it's a second AOS. The rules are different. The 24 credit thing does not come into play, instead you have to meet both AOS and can't have more than 9 credits of overlap in the AOS.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Personally, I would have your foreign college transcripts evaluated and sent to TESU first.

You really need to see your academic evaluation first and go from there.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes zzzz24's post:
  • davewill
(11-20-2018, 12:19 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: if you have alot of psy and communication credits, why wouldn't you just do a psy or communication BA?

There are only some Psychology courses, and some Communication courses, that interest/are of use for me. 

(11-20-2018, 12:30 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: Personally, I would have your foreign college transcripts evaluated and sent to TESU first.

You really need to see your academic evaluation first and go from there.

It's in the process; should be completed soon.

(11-20-2018, 12:25 PM)davewill Wrote: You have to meet the all requirements for both degrees. There's no guaranty that new 24 credits will be enough, just that at least 24 of the credits must be new. I would expect they could appear anywhere in the AOS. But that's moot

Where can I find the requirements (if I were to do the BALS after having complete the BA in English)? Are they the 'Learning Outcomes' and the list of AOS categories from the TESU BALS page?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 11 589 5 hours ago
Last Post: jch
  Where should I get my accounting degree? mt_1994 9 151 7 hours ago
Last Post: Pats20
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 615 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 536 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 404 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 384 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 343 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 303 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 660 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 633 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch