Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second degree General Education Curriculum waiver
(08-08-2022, 05:31 AM)debrag Wrote: So there is no real point in getting my degree evaluated if I still have to do the language. I've completed the rest of the GEC already (I think).

UMPI would be cheaper than EU in the long run, I may just try the Sophia Spanish and see how I get on.

You'll probably want the language courses to come from the same place. Study has Spanish 1 & 2. Moving from one platform to another may be tricky because you may be missing some things that were taught on 1 platform and not the other.
Which UMPI degree are you looking at? If you're looking at the History/Political Science, I think that required 2 Language courses. If you're not going for that then 1 language course should work.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
For what its worth, on Discord recently this was posted about languages within History

"I'm not sure if this will be of help for anyone but just in case...cuz I was a bit confused by it: as far as the language requirement goes, for History concentration you have to have 2 consecutive language classes. So I was thinking that meant you had to take Level 1 and then Level 2. I took Spanish 1 in CC but didn't remember it well enough to take level 2 at UMPI...so I chose to start over with French. I took French 1 and assumed I would have to take French 2 but Jessica said it was fine to have 1 and 1...if that makes sense.
Just thought I'd share in case anyone was confused like I often am lol."

That was posted Aug 2022.
UMPI - BLS (Management and Political Science) - Start Aug 2022
Sophia - 64 Credits - Most classes done
Saylor - Intro to Poli Sci, Intro to Comparitive Politics, Customer Service
Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate
[-] The following 3 users Like MidLifeCrisis's post:
  • Londinensi, origamishuttle, Pikachu
(08-09-2022, 08:26 AM)MidLifeCrisis Wrote: For what its worth, on Discord recently this was posted about languages within History

"I'm not sure if this will be of help for anyone but just in case...cuz I was a bit confused by it: as far as the language requirement goes, for History concentration you have to have 2 consecutive language classes. So I was thinking that meant you had to take Level 1 and then Level 2. I took Spanish 1 in CC but didn't remember it well enough to take level 2 at UMPI...so I chose to start over with French. I took French 1 and assumed I would have to take French 2 but Jessica said it was fine to have 1 and 1...if that makes sense.
Just thought I'd share in case anyone was confused like I often am lol."

That was posted Aug 2022.

Well that is different! I wonder when they changed the policy. That certainly makes it easier!
Cool, interesting really, that's great if they allow a language 1 and another language 1 course. I guess that change is slightly easier for those who like to learn languages. It really depends, if you're doing one of the degrees that doesn't require the two language courses, just get it done quickly through alternative credit.

If you're going for the History/Political Science degree, you can take one language and ladder up to the second of the same language, sometimes it's better to understand the language before jumping to another one. For those who want to get a quick overview of a second language, then you now have the option to take two!

That can be fun! In high school, I took Spanish and French. Then in college I stuck with French but after one course, I was bored with it, so I took German. I have to say, each consecutive language got easier. There were a lot of Spanish cognates in French. And then German had a lot of English and French cognates. Of course all of that flies out the window when you take a language with a completely different alphabet. I audited Russian and that was a total trip. (The only thing I remember from Russian is hello)

Hello
Hola
Bonjour
Hallo
Здравствуйте
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
@Vle045, you lost me at "Hello". LOL, just kidding... Yeah, I think language learning can be fun, if you start them off younger then the language sticks more. I started French in 4th grade up to 12th, haven't used it in many years, but still get to recognize words my kids use and during discussions with the parents who speak French or the teachers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Am I on the right path for any BLS degree rme1987 11 277 Yesterday, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Transfer and see what transfers, BEFORE starting the degree? ecdw94 8 365 03-24-2024, 01:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Non-Degree Enrollment PreLawCoastie 0 205 03-02-2024, 06:33 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  I earned an Honors BLS Degree with Two Minors in 8 days!! basicunitoflife 34 3,286 03-01-2024, 11:48 AM
Last Post: laknight
  Help with getting a degree ASAP Talia99 3 283 02-27-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Smile BAS UMPI Degree Planning Questions Chimera 6 562 02-25-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Does spain/EU accept UMPI degree? Solden81 4 429 02-21-2024, 08:30 PM
  Master's program at UMPI with an existing UoPeople BS-CS degree ecdw94 29 2,396 02-20-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  UMPI Degree Help - Bachelor of Applied Science hicham78h 13 498 02-20-2024, 04:23 AM
  UMPI - Degree Plan Help NJC2023 16 1,549 02-19-2024, 11:44 AM
Last Post: NJC2023