Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking advice about salvaging the capstone class
I'm currently at the tail end of taking the (dreaded) capstone, and have really messed myself up by not submitting several assignments and my mentor will not accept them at all.

My choices are to try to cram everything in and submit the last assignment and my final paper, and hope for some miracle to happen where I pass the class, or to drop it and retake it in a month or so, and pay $$$ because of my stupidity. I'm afraid that choice one is an automatic fail, and I'll be spinning my wheels to write something that will only result in failure anyway.

I have so much anxiety about this, it's ridiculous and stupid. I was almost near the finish line and it's like I stopped to take a nap instead of finishing the race. Ugh.

Advice?
TESC BALS -- March 2017

Done in 2016:
DSST Substance Abuse PASSED 1/2016
DSST Public Speaking PASSED 1/2016
SL American Govt. -- PASSED 2/2016
SL Business Comm. -- PASSED 3/2016
The Institutes free ethics class - accepted, thank you, God! Smile
Living in the Info Age (SOC 110) - 3/2016
TECEP Abnormal Psych - PASSED 3/2016
TESU Capstone -- DONE!!! A- (but still an A, right?) 1/2017

Put on the back burner for a rainy day:
Torah College's A Social History of Jewish Food (SOC 302)
At this point, I'd imagine withdrawing late would still leave you out the money and reflect as a failure on the transcript, right? If so, might as well try to cram it all in and hope for a pass, but if you don't pass, you can build upon that crammed paper and flesh it out more for your second time around?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
It would be a Withdrawal on my transcript, which can be replaced by retaking the class (and passing it, of course). Yes, I'm out the money either way.

I'm afraid that if I try to build on a failed capstone, Turnitin will flag it as plagiarizing my own work unless I completely rewrite it.
TESC BALS -- March 2017

Done in 2016:

Are you GPA conscious about the W versus an F? I know some people don't care about that. Other would very much not risk the F over an W.

I'm not sure how it would work with TurnItIn, but is that something that can be discussed with a future professor, describing the circumstances?

Alternately, have you talked to your current professor about paying for an extension for the class?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Do you have an instructor or is everything done through the mentor? Why not send an email and ask what it would take to pass the class or if it would be best to withdraw and retake in the future. Get their input and see if they can give you some options.
TESU BSBA General Mgmt 6/10/16 Wink
TESU: TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice - 82
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt 94, International Business 97, Strategic Mgmt 98, Corporate Finance 99, Consumer Behavior 95, Human Resource Mgmt 99
Saylor: Business Law & Ethics 82, Corporate Communication 76, Principles of Marketing 72
Sophia: Intro to Sociology 90, Conflict Resolution 87, Project Mgmt 88
Straighterline: Principles of Mgmt 94, Organizational Behavior 88, American Government 92
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPU Code of Professional Conduct (free 2 CR)

COSC - Associate of Science Honors General Studies 2014
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Straighterline: Into to Religions A, Business Ethics B, West. Civ. I B, Intro to Env. Science B
CLEP: A&I Literature - 69
jsd Wrote:Are you GPA conscious about the W versus an F? I know some people don't care about that. Other would very much not risk the F over an W.

I'm not sure how it would work with TurnItIn, but is that something that can be discussed with a future professor, describing the circumstances?

Alternately, have you talked to your current professor about paying for an extension for the class?

Well, I had some loose ideas about grad school so GPA matters, but to be honest, if I can't finish this, grad school is kind of iffy, no?
TESC BALS -- March 2017

Done in 2016:

Sorry, double post!
TESC BALS -- March 2017

Done in 2016:

sammeecat Wrote:I'm currently at the tail end of taking the (dreaded) capstone, and have really messed myself up by not submitting several assignments and my mentor will not accept them at all.

My choices are to try to cram everything in and submit the last assignment and my final paper, and hope for some miracle to happen where I pass the class, or to drop it and retake it in a month or so, and pay $$$ because of my stupidity. I'm afraid that choice one is an automatic fail, and I'll be spinning my wheels to write something that will only result in failure anyway.

I have so much anxiety about this, it's ridiculous and stupid. I was almost near the finish line and it's like I stopped to take a nap instead of finishing the race. Ugh.

Advice?

Do the paper. Here's why:

First- the burden to fail you will be on the teacher. When you don't turn something in, the teacher can be lazy and enter a "0" without a second thought. When you DO turn in a paper, they have to justify every point deduction. It's much harder to fail you when you turn in your paper.

Second- you'll get a grade and or feedback. Even if your paper fails, you'll get feedback that you can then use on your next attempt at the class. In addition, you can use the same work this time around for the next time around if necessary, it's not wasted effort. (EDIT to comment about plagiarism- you absolutely can use your own work, that's not plagiarism. Plagiarism is when you use someone else's work without properly citing. Copyright always belongs to the author- published or not. So, it's not plagiarism and it's not copyright infringement. As to whether or not the instructor takes personal issue is really a matter of what's written *or not* in the syllabus and or college catalog. )

Finally- something in your brain happens when you quit vs when you fight.
cookderosa Wrote:Do the paper. Here's why:

First- the burden to fail you will be on the teacher. When you don't turn something in, the teacher can be lazy and enter a "0" without a second thought. When you DO turn in a paper, they have to justify every point deduction. It's much harder to fail you when you turn in your paper.

Second- you'll get a grade and or feedback. Even if your paper fails, you'll get feedback that you can then use on your next attempt at the class. In addition, you can use the same work this time around for the next time around if necessary, it's not wasted effort. (EDIT to comment about plagiarism- you absolutely can use your own work, that's not plagiarism)

Finally- something in your brain happens when you quit vs when you fight.

Wow at the bolded. Even though I fully own and am really beating myself up for my laziness and culpability with this, that really gives me something to think about.

Not to be overly dramatic, but I am really used to quitting (when it comes to school), so fighting would definitely trigger something new in my brain. I'm only half-kidding.
TESC BALS -- March 2017

Done in 2016:

sammeecat Wrote:Well, I had some loose ideas about grad school so GPA matters, but to be honest, if I can't finish this, grad school is kind of iffy, no?

Edit to add: Take an extension if possible. I forgot about the extension option.

I think you need to rethink your whole strategy on this course such as choice of topic and choice of mentor if you decide to retake. If your topic is a narrow version of the first one, I would abandon it even though I thought it was interesting. Go for easy and quick.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,025 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,207 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,371 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,939 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,679 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,114 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,655 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,904 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Penn Foster/TESU UL last class FinishTHEM 3 1,374 07-02-2018, 10:30 PM
Last Post: FinishTHEM