Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking advice on Natural Science Plan
Hi,

I'd like to complete my bachelor's degree.  I was orginally going for a degree in Psychology but now work in animal care for the county and love it.  I need a degree to move up and online classes are a must due to my work schedule. After reading through many posts on this site it seems that my best degree options are Biology, or Natural Science.  Speed and money are important factors. I'm seeking advise as to which path to take. Path A an Excelsior degree in Natural Science, path B a TESU degree in Biology (UL biology courses seem to be the challenge and although I love animals I don't really love chemistry), path C TESU BALS >Natural Science, path D an APU Natural Science Degree. 

Many thanks!

My Location: Arizona, US 

My Age: 28
Degree I'd like: Natural Science or Biology
Degrees/Earned Credits: 

A.A.S. General Studies Pierpont Community & Technical College August 2018

1. Northern Arizona University
  • ANT 209 3 cr Anthropology
  • COM 150 3 cr Communications
  • GLG 107 3 cr Oceanography
  • GSP 240 3 cr World Geography
  • MAT 114 3 cr Math, Quantitive Reasoning
  • BIO 181 3 cr Biology
  • BIO 181L 1 cr Biology Lab
  • ENG 105 4 cr English
2. Arizona State University
  • ENG 288 3 cr English
  • SPA 111 3 cr Spanish

3. Maricopa Community Colleges
  • BIO 160 4 cr Human Anatomy
  • ENG 101 3 cr English Composition
  • ENG 102 3 cr English Composition
  • COM 100 3 cr Human Communications
  • THE 210 3 cr Theater
  • HIS 108 3 cr US History
  • PSY 101 3 cr Psychology
  • SOC 212 3 cr Sociology Gender and Society
  • BIO 105 4 cr Environmental Biology
  • COM 230 3 cr Small Group Communication

4. ACE Credit
  • Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct (online course) AICP-0121 
  • National Emergency Training Center (NFA) NNFA-0149
  • Sophia
  1. Developing Effective Teams SOPH-0021
  2. Essentials of Managing Conflict SOPH-0026
  • Texas Engineering Extension Service
  1. Cyber Security for Everyone TEEX-0250
  2. Cyber Security for IT Professionals TEEX-0251
  3. Cyber Security for Business Professionals TEEX-0252
A plan for TESU would be here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

But it does require both physics & chemistry. Looking at Excelsior's requirements, I think you could essentially follow TESU's plan for the AOS, but bring 20-something UL credits to Excelsior instead of TESU's 15. Getting APU's Natural Science degree might wind up being cheaper than either option, though, when you count the cost of the UL credits that are needed.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Finding enough UL science credits is going to be a problem with any of the Big 3. You're better off with a TESU BALS degree with a NatSci AA, or else a school that has enough credits to make it worth your while.

BTW - APU's NatSci degree requires Calc I & II, Bio I & II w/labs, Physics I & II w/labs, and Chem I & II w/labs. That is a LOT of math-heavy stuff, and doesn't even get into the UL courses, which is another 28cr of work. Yikes!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jch
(01-28-2022, 06:38 PM)DezCez Wrote: Hi,

I'd like to complete my bachelor's degree.  I was orginally going for a degree in Psychology but now work in animal care for the county and love it.  I need a degree to move up and online classes are a must due to my work schedule. After reading through many posts on this site it seems that my best degree options are Biology, or Natural Science.  Speed and money are important factors. I'm seeking advise as to which path to take. Path A an Excelsior degree in Natural Science, path B a TESU degree in Biology (UL biology courses seem to be the challenge and although I love animals I don't really love chemistry), path C TESU BALS >Natural Science, path D an APU Natural Science Degree. 

Many thanks!

My Location: Arizona, US 

My Age: 28
Degree I'd like: Natural Science or Biology
Degrees/Earned Credits: 

A.A.S. General Studies Pierpont Community & Technical College August 2018

1. Northern Arizona University
  • ANT 209 3 cr Anthropology
  • COM 150 3 cr Communications
  • GLG 107 3 cr Oceanography
  • GSP 240 3 cr World Geography
  • MAT 114 3 cr Math, Quantitive Reasoning
  • BIO 181 3 cr Biology
  • BIO 181L 1 cr Biology Lab
  • ENG 105 4 cr English
2. Arizona State University
  • ENG 288 3 cr English
  • SPA 111 3 cr Spanish

3. Maricopa Community Colleges
  • BIO 160 4 cr Human Anatomy
  • ENG 101 3 cr English Composition
  • ENG 102 3 cr English Composition
  • COM 100 3 cr Human Communications
  • THE 210 3 cr Theater
  • HIS 108 3 cr US History
  • PSY 101 3 cr Psychology
  • SOC 212 3 cr Sociology Gender and Society
  • BIO 105 4 cr Environmental Biology
  • COM 230 3 cr Small Group Communication

4. ACE Credit
  • Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct (online course) AICP-0121 
  • National Emergency Training Center (NFA) NNFA-0149
  • Sophia
  1. Developing Effective Teams SOPH-0021
  2. Essentials of Managing Conflict SOPH-0026
  • Texas Engineering Extension Service
  1. Cyber Security for Everyone TEEX-0250
  2. Cyber Security for IT Professionals TEEX-0251
  3. Cyber Security for Business Professionals TEEX-0252

Have you considered the Biology bachelor's program at University of Arizona online? They have two unique areas of concentration --> https://online.arizona.edu/programs/unde...biology-bs

I would reach out to an advisor there and see how long it would take to complete a degree there, what credits they would accept, the cost and anything else you are looking to consider. 

What about the ASU Biological Science program? -->https://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-...iences-bs/

If you are looking for something more animal science based, Oregon State has a zoology program. --> https://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-d...e/zoology/
$525/credit for UofA online? Yikes!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I agree with dfrecore. Of all the degrees listed the BALS w Natural Science maybe the best bet. Using the degree plan that rachael linked to get the upper level courses and sprinkle in afew more lower level Sciences
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

ASU has an online bachelor's designed for pre-vet:

https://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-...-medicine/

They also have biological sciences:

https://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-...iences-bs/
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • MDela3
You're just missing a couple of Biology courses, you can go for a TESU ASNSM Biology and then go for the BALS NSM or if you prefer, the Excelsior Natural Science. I will recommend staying with TESU if you're going for that ASNSM, so you can ladder up to the Bachelors with a few more upper level courses...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The wiki doesn't have a plan for it so it might be difficult to get cheaply, but the BA in Environmental Studies seems related and requires only one chemistry class: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/Current/...al-Studies

Here's a relevant post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid333455
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
Where is OP going to find the UL needed for the Big 3 inexpensively? This seems like a very expensive degree option.

If you need all of those UL sciences, you may as well go somewhere that actually offers them for a decent price.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 4 90 10 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 596 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,207 04-18-2024, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 217 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,172 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Confused Brit looking for advice BritStudent 30 1,972 04-16-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 525 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 390 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 171 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 584 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM