Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking an IT related degree - Cheap & Quick
Hello everyone. I'm seeking the cheapest route for any IT/Comp Sci related bachelors degree.
I have already completed a 2 year associates degree (Gen ed.) from my local community college in the USA. 
Also, I am currently living and working abroad in Taiwan, so unfortunately WGU doesn't seem to be an option. 

I've also been studying for CompTIA A+ and plan to study for my CCNA afterwards.
Hoping to apply these for credit. 

So far I've looked at EC's tech management and information technology. I've sent my transcripts and am waiting for an official evaluation. 
I'm also considering TESU's BSBA CIS. 
I'm definitely open to considering alternative cheap options as well.
Any advice is much appreciated.

I'll list my credits below. 

BI 101
General Biology 4cr

COM 135
Interpersonal Communication 3cr
EC 251
Principles of Macroeconomics 3cr
EC 252
Principles of Microeconomics 3cr
ED 200
Introduction to Education 3cr

EN 101
English Composition-1 3cr

EN 102
English Composition-2 3cr

EN 261
Great American Writers 1 3cr

EN 262
Great American Writers 2 3cr

GE 135
World Regional Geography 3cr

GL 105
Environmental Geology 4cr

GL 111
Earth Science for Education 3cr

MA 107
Intermediate Algebra 3cr

PL 201
Introduction to Philosophy 3cr

PS 110
Survey of American Government 3cr

PS 202
International Relations 3cr

PY 201
General Psychology 3cr

PY 233
Child Psychology 3cr

SO 254
Social Problems 3cr

This is my 2nd attempt at online learning. It's been almost 4 years since my first attempt but I think I've found a suitable path pursuing IT. 
I'm working full time in Taiwan and plan to stay here for another 2 years or so.
In the mean time, I will continue studying towards certs and a degree cheaply so that when I do return to the US I can meet the entry level requirements for IT gigs, even if that means working help desk for a few years. 
Let me know if you have similar experiences or went down a relevant path. 
Thanks again & cheers
Have you looked into Purdue University Global?

They accept up to 75% transfer credits including alternative credit providers like Sophia and study.com and they also accept IT certifications for transfer credits.

https://www.purdueglobal.edu/alternative...ion-exams/

They have cloud, cybersecurity, and IT degrees in traditional or Excel Track(competency based) formats.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • thecontrarian
(10-14-2021, 12:26 AM)jonesmd93 Wrote: Hello everyone. I'm seeking the cheapest route for any IT/Comp Sci related bachelors degree.
I have already completed a 2 year associates degree (Gen ed.) from my local community college in the USA. 
Also, I am currently living and working abroad in Taiwan, so unfortunately WGU doesn't seem to be an option. 

I've also been studying for CompTIA A+ and plan to study for my CCNA afterwards.
Hoping to apply these for credit. 

So far I've looked at EC's tech management and information technology. I've sent my transcripts and am waiting for an official evaluation. 
I'm also considering TESU's BSBA CIS. 
I'm definitely open to considering alternative cheap options as well.
Any advice is much appreciated.

I'll list my credits below. 

BI 101
General Biology 4cr

COM 135
Interpersonal Communication 3cr
EC 251
Principles of Macroeconomics 3cr
EC 252
Principles of Microeconomics 3cr
ED 200
Introduction to Education 3cr

EN 101
English Composition-1 3cr

EN 102
English Composition-2 3cr

EN 261
Great American Writers 1 3cr

EN 262
Great American Writers 2 3cr

GE 135
World Regional Geography 3cr

GL 105
Environmental Geology 4cr

GL 111
Earth Science for Education 3cr

MA 107
Intermediate Algebra 3cr

PL 201
Introduction to Philosophy 3cr

PS 110
Survey of American Government 3cr

PS 202
International Relations 3cr

PY 201
General Psychology 3cr

PY 233
Child Psychology 3cr

SO 254
Social Problems 3cr

This is my 2nd attempt at online learning. It's been almost 4 years since my first attempt but I think I've found a suitable path pursuing IT. 
I'm working full time in Taiwan and plan to stay here for another 2 years or so.
In the mean time, I will continue studying towards certs and a degree cheaply so that when I do return to the US I can meet the entry level requirements for IT gigs, even if that means working help desk for a few years. 
Let me know if you have similar experiences or went down a relevant path. 
Thanks again & cheers

The BSBA CIS isn't really an IT degree though you could add associates in computer science for free.

EC I'm not aware that it's possible to do an IT degree with alternative credits.

Another is Purdue Global ExcelTrack IT degree.  You would take the PHP cert, which transfers in 7 classes then do the other classes with Sophia and Study.com. 

CompTIA A+ would be a good cert to get.  Buy practice questions from Udemy.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
For comp sci, you'd do TESU. Cost would be $7-10k. If you wanted to do both comp sci AND the BSBA CIS, you could do both for another $1000 or so.

For IT, Purdue Global. It's CBE, so price will be a bit variable. But it will probably cost less than TESU.

The biggest question is whether you feel like a Comp Sci degree or an IT degree would be better for your future career.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
cheap and quick ?

Northern Arizona U - BSc in ICT

competency based. how fast you wanna do it, its up to you.

a 6 month term cost $2500 i think. might have increased. not too sure.
For Purdue Global, let me start by saying that you have almost all of your GE done, and all of your open electives done, so you don't need to spend a second doing any electives.

If you add in CompTIA A+ and the CCNA, which you're already planning, and then the W3Schools PHP Certificate as LevelUP suggested, and do 3 Study.com courses in a month for $199 (MAT 107: Quantitative Literacy >> MM250: Discrete Math; COMPSCI 203: Defensive Security >> IT286: Network Security Concepts; and COMPSCI 302: Systems Analysis & Design >> IT460: Systems Analysis & Design), you will have exactly 50qcr remaining to take (45qcr is the residency requirement).

I think you could complete the remaining 9 courses/50cr in 2 terms (or maybe 1 but I probably wouldn't put that pressure on myself). It's $2,500/10-week term, so $5,000 in 5 months is what you're looking at.

Even if you went took 3 terms, that would be less than TESU's BSBA/CIS degree. EC's IT degree is not alt-credit friendly, so it would cost a fortune.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I also would vouch for a competency based degree program as two mentioned, at NAU and PUG. There is another offering at UMass global, they have a BSIT, and if you want to try data analytics/data science, there is a concentration in that as well. I suggest you decide on the degree and school first by looking at your current credits and finding the program that will max the transfer. If you are knowledgeable in IT already, CBE is a better option than the Big 3.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank you everyone for the great advice and suggestions. I've now focused my research onto which of the CBE programs (UMASS, PUG, NAU) will accept the most credits/certs. 
It's looking like PUG will be the cheapest option for me internationally, however I'm still waiting for an official evaluation to confirm this. 

This is the response I got from the NAU advisor regarding transferring into the CBE BSIT.  
" With this degree program (BSIT) you are capped at 64 units of transfer credit of which completing the 56 units with NAU would reach 120 units to graduate.
Within the 64 units you are bringing in you would have wanted to complete foundation, liberal studies, diversity and science requirements. If not, you can take those classes through the personalized learning program." 

NAU has a similar policy to PUG, where they will accept 75% credit, but unless I've misunderstood the response, it seems for this degree NAU would prove to be quite a bit more expensive with the transfer cap set at 64 credits.

I'll be sure to update when I'm locked in and post my spreadsheets once I've accumulated the data. 

Thanks again!
That's great news, you're coming along with deciding on the degree/school. I would decide either PUG or UMASS as I think UMASS may be cheaper in the long run, depending on the number of credits you can transfer and the terms you can complete the requirements in. The terms are longer at UMASS, if their CBE is anything like UMPI's counterpart, then they should be your best bet, you can compare PUG with them and decide when you come across all your info and data tallied...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 8 164 11 minutes ago
Last Post: nhmimi
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 35 673 6 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 67 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 353 11 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 155 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,489 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Seeking Advice on transferring to WGU out of SNHU dlachance1977 5 146 03-26-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,859 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 183 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 959 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM