Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self Paced Archival Degree
Are there any self paced archival degrees out there outside of the MARA degree from SJSU? SJSU is 20grand for a masters, it's tempting but I'm not 100% sure about their program as I can't find much about it.
There's not a ton of self paced programs out there. I wish there were more! They seem to be growing! Have you looked elsewhere for a library science degree?
The only one that is self paced, that I can find is San Jose State University, School of Information

https://ischool.sjsu.edu/master-archives...nistration is ICRM certified, which is the gold standard for my job. ICRM certification is the key to everything in my and dream careers

There's also an MLIS that overlaps very well https://ischool.sjsu.edu/master-library-...on-science

Both are self-based, and competency-based

However, both are 20 grand, considerably more expensive than other masters.
Most programs that claim to be self-paced really mean that you can log in to classes whenever you want and study whenever you want, but you still have set deadlines for handing-in papers and taking exams, and to me that's not self-paced that's just flexible. Self-paced to me means totally asynchronous and no deadlines.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • TINASAM
(03-06-2021, 04:19 AM)eLearner Wrote: Most programs that claim to be self-paced really mean that you can log in to classes whenever you want and study whenever you want, but you still have set deadlines for handing-in papers and taking exams, and to me that's not self-paced that's just flexible. Self-paced to me means totally asynchronous and no deadlines.

I find this quite often! It's pretty frustrating because to me self paced means I move through the courses at my own pace not on some set schedule. CBE programs seem to be the only ones that are really self paced. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • eLearner
(03-06-2021, 01:53 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 04:19 AM)eLearner Wrote: Most programs that claim to be self-paced really mean that you can log in to classes whenever you want and study whenever you want, but you still have set deadlines for handing-in papers and taking exams, and to me that's not self-paced that's just flexible. Self-paced to me means totally asynchronous and no deadlines.

I find this quite often! It's pretty frustrating because to me self paced means I move through the courses at my own pace not on some set schedule. CBE programs seem to be the only ones that are really self paced. 
Yeah. I just spoke to Dr. Franks this morning about it. I met her at a conference long ago. I didn't realize she was in charge of the MARA program.

so yes, there are mandatory classes, zoom sessions, discussion posts, and homework deadlines. You can study on your own time, but you still have to show for some things. Similar to TESU's capstone course, but for all 14 classes required. 

I want an archival degree but not that badly.
(03-06-2021, 04:08 PM)ashkir Wrote:

Yeah. I just spoke to Dr. Franks this morning about it. I met her at a conference long ago. I didn't realize she was in charge of the MARA program.

so yes, there are mandatory classes, zoom sessions, discussion posts, and homework deadlines. You can study on your own time, but you still have to show for some things. Similar to TESU's capstone course, but for all 14 classes required. 

See to me that is not a self paced class. That's a regular online class. This format of online schedule classes, Zoom calls, etc. just doesn't work for many adults. We have jobs, families, odd hours of free time. That was one reason I love UMPI. The CBE format is soooo different. I really hope more schools open their eyes to it and embrace it. They'd get more adults and people to complete their degrees. 
(03-06-2021, 04:59 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

See to me that is not a self paced class. That's a regular online class. This format of online schedule classes, Zoom calls, etc. just doesn't work for many adults. We have jobs, families, odd hours of free time. That was one reason I love UMPI. The CBE format is soooo different. I really hope more schools open their eyes to it and embrace it. They'd get more adults and people to complete their degrees. 
Yeah, I've gotten excited about several programs that claimed 'self paced' but found they just mean it's not cohort based and you can adjust full or part time each term.

I fully agree. It's not a self paced class and I don't like that it's advertised that way. What also hurts is I don't think the ALA will approve many classes at all. They seemed to have turned their backs on MARA degrees and don't treat it like archivist degrees, despite the entire study being about preserving and managing records over books. 
(03-06-2021, 05:45 PM)Sparklette Wrote:

Yeah, I've gotten excited about several programs that claimed 'self paced' but found they just mean it's not cohort based and you can adjust full or part time each term.
Yeah. Exactly.

I want a library science program or records management / archivist masters degree program that is truly self-paced or CBE. Not under illusion of live zoom calls.

For me this is worth a bit more discussion because when I think of "self-paced" I think of the student having the ability to either accelerate or decelerate the course.  Some people use the term self-paced as being synonymous with accelerated.  Personally, with my life as it is, I find it useful to be able to slow things down as other demands on my time increase. I know I don't finish as quickly as someone else might but I can control my level of stress better and my attitude towards the entire experience improves as a result.
[-] The following 3 users Like Alpha's post:
  • ashkir, Novo, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 3 42 28 minutes ago
Last Post: jg_nuy
  LLB degree for Australia Atoshi 7 393 04-13-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,060 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,690 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  British Master’s degree for £1,950 armado 23 4,000 02-17-2024, 01:55 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  NAU is ending their PL MOL degree Ebroady23 5 836 01-19-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: kai1120
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,647 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Seeking affordable online interior design degree lumina 12 1,292 12-14-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Cheapest online masters degree under 12 months Sdmj33 30 9,190 12-02-2023, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Help - Masters Degree Advice bdcmetal666 12 3,170 11-18-2023, 03:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77