Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self paced but not CBE
Not sure if I have completely missed a bunch of schools but I cannot find info on any programs that are self paced but not CBE. Basically like Sophia. Please help. Is there a term for this that I am missing? Thanks
<smileandwave> Hi! There are the Big 3 and the Competency Based Education options, these are a few "handful" of the Big players that are very similar in terms of Sophia.org, but they would still require you to at least complete a "cornerstone/capstone" and some will require 30 Regionally Accredited courses from a college/university or a partnership such as ONU/TEL Learning/Portage, etc. The fully test out option as you are referring to, using entirely ACE/NCCRS, ended just a few years ago, the last to go was the BSBA at TESU.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by "self paced but not CBE." Could you clarify what you're looking for please?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I am looking for something that is like a typical class and not having just one exam or essay but can be completed at your own pace.
im not sure if this is correct, but would that be considered an independent study program?

eg.

https://www.csupueblo.edu/extended-studi...grams.html

you complete multiple eassys + exams (if theres any) at your own pace, but you have like 6 - 9 months to complete the actual module?
[-] The following 1 user Likes nyvrem's post:
  • rbrtpgdmn@gmail.com
It seems like what I'm looking for. I will have to do some more searching now that I know the term to use. CSU tuition is out of my range but thank you so much! My anxiety from only having one test/essay is ridiculous and traditional classes move too slow that I lose interest and stop attending. Hopefully there's more options that are not 20,000 a year.
I would recommend 3 options: You can take up to 90 credits through alternative credit, or in the case of Excelsior, up to 113.
1) UMPI - 90 credits or so with Sophia.org, Instantcertcredit, Study.com, complete the remaining 30 credits (YourPace)
2) Excelsior - 113 credits using Sophia.org, Coopersmith/Davar, Study.com or whatever ACE/NCCRS you want to use
3) TESU - max of 90 credits using Sophia.org, Coopersmith/Davar, Study.com or whatever ACE/NCCRS you want to use

If you're looking for a particular degree, that greatly limits your options. But, if you'd be happy with even just a BALS, I think that either TESU or Excelsior would be your best bet. Both of these allow you to bring in a LOT of Sophia credits, then you can fill out the rest with (mostly) Study.com.

If you went with TESU, and assuming you don't already have 24+ RA credits, you'd probably want to get your RA credits from ASU, TEL, or ONU. All of these have self-paced classes that are NOT just based on a single final exam/essay. TEL has two exams and multiple assignments per course. ONU has multiple assignments and a final paper/project. ASU has "weekly" quizzes/assignments + final exam in most courses. For the self-paced courses at ASU, you could finish all the "weeks" at once or do a week ever couple of days or whatever.

Study.com is quite similar to Sophia if you break it down. SDC quizzes = Sophia Challenges. SDC assignments = Sophia Touchstones. SDC exam = Sophia Final Milestone. Most/all SDC courses have both assignments and a final exam, so you can do poorly on one and still pass as long as you get 100% on the quizzes (which is SUPER easy to do).

Excelsior shouldn't require any RA credits. But it might be easier for you to have one or two courses, depending on the exact classes you need.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I would highly recommend Ashworth College. They have a fantastic tuition rate, accessible in-house financing plan, an array of stackable credentials and degrees, generous transfer policies (including ACE), and a great learning platform. Only potential downside is that they are DEAC ("NA"). They have a self-paced delivery model, but with traditionally formatted classes. Typically a class will have 8 units (think weeks) of readings and assignments, which are almost always two four-page papers, and six open-book quizzes.
Since Ashworth College was mentioned, I'd suggest going for a Penn Foster degree as you can use ACE courses for 75% of the program and take the remaining 10 courses at Penn Foster, make sure to take the ones that are ACE recommended for credit if possible for the degree, they have two/three degrees, Bachelors in Business Management, Criminal Justice and a Vet Tech. Ashworth has the same degrees, plus a few more... but their 25% of the courses are not ACE recommended for credit, thus can't transfer to the Big 3/UMPI, but they can still transfer to PUG/Walden, etc, whichever university that takes NA credits.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 774 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 461 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Fast, Self Paced, preferrably cheap RA credits elcastor21 6 927 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Regionally Accredited Self Paced Courses for College Credit BMWGuinness 5 2,937 04-27-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Best Self-Paced Online Colleges Alpha 2 999 01-16-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Self paced physics I and II with lab dustyflyer 8 2,122 09-12-2022, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Hometeacher628
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,201 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling
  Recommendations for accredited, self-paced program sparkling 7 1,259 08-04-2022, 11:26 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Self-Paced Online Schools Alpha 8 1,826 07-21-2022, 11:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Upper Iowa University's Self-Paced Programs sanantone 5 2,450 02-19-2022, 01:07 PM
Last Post: ss20ts