Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sending transcripts without ACE
I've been asked to send my individual transcripts, not my ACE transcripts.  I'm assuming it can't be done, and the school is just clueless and would rather not accept transfer credit.

American Inst Chartered Prop Casualty Underwriters
Straighterline
Texas Engineering Extension Service
SOPHIA Learning LLC
Shmoop Univ. Inc.

Thanks,
(05-26-2018, 09:32 PM)frank.f.franky Wrote: I've been asked to send my individual transcripts, not my ACE transcripts.  I'm assuming it can't be done, and the school is just clueless and would rather not accept transfer credit.

Straighterline
SOPHIA Learning LLC
Shmoop Univ. Inc.

Thanks,

you can tell them it's non-college credit, thus ACE transcripts are the transcript- but you'll want to do that with the registrar (not sure if you are, or if it's admissions). Some colleges don't award credit for ACE, so their staff just isn't familiar. I've told this story before, but even as a department advisor at a school that was a CLEP testing center, I worked there for almost 10 years before I ever heard the word "CLEP" or knew that we accepted it toward 75% of an associate degree at our program. No one told me- no one talked about it, I'd never heard of it. Later, I only ASKED about it when I stumbled upon it for myself. Schools have no real motivation to reduce their revenue or increase their workload - I'm not at all surprised that they're kinda clueless. I'm dealing with a nearly totally useless advisor for my son at a school that I won't name, but I'm helping her learn how to do her job <smile> so it should all work out in the end. If not, of course, he'll choose a different school.
(05-26-2018, 09:43 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(05-26-2018, 09:32 PM)frank.f.franky Wrote: I've been asked to send my individual transcripts, not my ACE transcripts.  I'm assuming it can't be done, and the school is just clueless and would rather not accept transfer credit.

Straighterline
SOPHIA Learning LLC
Shmoop Univ. Inc.

Thanks,

you can tell them it's non-college credit, thus ACE transcripts are the transcript- but you'll want to do that with the registrar (not sure if you are, or if it's admissions).  Some colleges don't award credit for ACE, so their staff just isn't familiar.  I've told this story before, but even as a department advisor at a school that was a CLEP testing center, I worked there for almost 10 years before I ever heard the word "CLEP" or knew that we accepted it toward 75% of an associate degree at our program.  No one told me- no one talked about it, I'd never heard of it.  Later, I only ASKED about it when I stumbled upon it for myself.   Schools have no real motivation to reduce their revenue or increase their workload - I'm not at all surprised that they're kinda clueless.  I'm dealing with a nearly totally useless advisor for my son at a school that I won't name, but I'm helping her learn how to do her job <smile> so it should all work out in the end. If not, of course, he'll choose a different school.

Thanks, for the reply,

I was trying to find a cheaper alternative than the "Big Three" so I applied to U of Potomac, they seem disorganized and not really wanting me to pursue a degree unless I started as a 1st-year freshman.  It's like pulling teeth to find a schedule of courses.   U of Potomac is fixated on putting a student a student in a track.   I'll call and ask what classes they are offering and I'll get a runaround, what track are you 2018 A/B/C.  Anyway, I doubt I'll take any classes they offer, but I got little upset when they said I had no transfer credits.  The advisement officer, who maybe works off a commission, could see I was not a 4-year lock-in kinda brushed me off.

Attached Files
.pdf   UofPot_Degree_Audit.pdf (Size: 84.2 KB / Downloads: 8)
(05-26-2018, 10:50 PM)frank.f.franky Wrote:
(05-26-2018, 09:43 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

Straighterline
SOPHIA Learning LLC
Shmoop Univ. Inc.

Thanks,

you can tell them it's non-college credit, thus ACE transcripts are the transcript- but you'll want to do that with the registrar (not sure if you are, or if it's admissions).  Some colleges don't award credit for ACE, so their staff just isn't familiar.  I've told this story before, but even as a department advisor at a school that was a CLEP testing center, I worked there for almost 10 years before I ever heard the word "CLEP" or knew that we accepted it toward 75% of an associate degree at our program.  No one told me- no one talked about it, I'd never heard of it.  Later, I only ASKED about it when I stumbled upon it for myself.   Schools have no real motivation to reduce their revenue or increase their workload - I'm not at all surprised that they're kinda clueless.  I'm dealing with a nearly totally useless advisor for my son at a school that I won't name, but I'm helping her learn how to do her job <smile> so it should all work out in the end. If not, of course, he'll choose a different school.

Thanks, for the reply,

I was trying to find a cheaper alternative than the "Big Three" so I applied to U of Potomac, they seem disorganized and not really wanting me to pursue a degree unless I started as a 1st-year freshman.  It's like pulling teeth to find a schedule of courses.   U of Potomac is fixated on putting a student a student in a track.   I'll call and ask what classes they are offering and I'll get a runaround, what track are you 2018 A/B/C.  Anyway, I doubt I'll take any classes they offer, but I got little upset when they said I had no transfer credits.  The advisement officer, who maybe works off a commission, could see I was not a 4-year lock-in kinda brushed me off.

By cheaper, you would have to choose a school where they would accept so many alternative credits that the remaining credits you had to take at the campus were worth the cost.  Believe me, if there was another school out there where it would work, you'd have heard it on here first.

Check and ask them if they accept CLEP, DSST, or ACE credits (and even then, many schools will only take ACE for military service).  THEN, you'll be able to see if they are going to be cheaper.  My guess is, they won't take ACE, but it can't hurt to check.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Straighterline will send a transcript directly, and it looks fairly traditional, so even if the school won't take the other credits, they might take that. It's worth a try. Just log into your account and there should be a link near the top that says something like "send transcript."

Based on their transfer policies, it doesn't look unreasonable that they'd take ACE credits. They say they accept CLEP & DANTES, they do portfolio assessment, and they take "ACE-approved military training." But depending on how everything shakes out, you might consider the possibility of taking a lot of the OTHER classes through U of Potomac and then transferring those to a Big 3 school to finish. I think probably all the U of P credits will transfer IN to the Big 3.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
(05-27-2018, 12:33 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: Straighterline will send a transcript directly, and it looks fairly traditional, so even if the school won't take the other credits, they might take that.  It's worth a try.  Just log into your account and there should be a link near the top that says something like "send transcript."

Based on their transfer policies, it doesn't look unreasonable that they'd take ACE credits.  They say they accept CLEP & DANTES, they do portfolio assessment, and they take "ACE-approved military training."  But depending on how everything shakes out, you might consider the possibility of taking a lot of the OTHER classes through U of Potomac and then transferring those to a Big 3 school to finish.  I think probably all the U of P credits will transfer IN to the Big 3.

I was on their website, and I found where they discussed CLEP, DSST, PLA, ACE - but it was not in their school catalog, it was on a Blog and said nothing about their own school policies.  I went to their catalog, and I did find the info.  Yes, they will take CLEP, DSST, PLA (up to 9cr) and ACE for military only.  And their limit is 60cr for all non-traditional credits (so CLEP, DSST, PLA, ACE-military) combined.  And between those and other transfer credits (CC and 4-yr schools) it's a max of 84cr total.

At $240/cr, the price isn't terrible, but multiply that by the number of credits you have to take at the school (120-84=36), and you'll pay $8640 for your degree at that school alone.  This does not include what you'll pay for the 84cr of transfer that you bring in.  So more expensive than the Big 3 for sure.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
One thing I want to add, is that for all the hiccups you may encounter via the big 3, it's not their first day. This is my 2nd son that I've worked this puzzle with (and my own as well as my husband's) and I am obsessive about turning over every single rock. The PROBLEM as you're finding, is that most schools aren't transparent in things we are very used to having access to here. For instance, you'll have to apply (maybe $) and send transcripts ($) to have them evaluated (time) by someone who may or may not have a clue (frustration) and then if you are on the ball and can tell whether or not they may have made a mistake, you can begin the back-and-forth email process of fighting for a few credits. I'm on about my last nerve with a NA college that my son likes because of the major -and that I really think would be ok for his career- but they are making me crazy because they are just clueless. In his case, if we proceed, the price is great (~$200/cr) - but frankly, this headache costs something too. Beyond the initial credit eval, you have YEARS to deal with the school you pick. Just venting, but the big 3 are rock stars in this arena no question.
(05-27-2018, 12:33 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: But depending on how everything shakes out, you might consider the possibility of taking a lot of the OTHER classes through U of Potomac and then transferring those to a Big 3 school to finish.  I think probably all the U of P credits will transfer IN to the Big 3.

I agree with this.  Especially if you have a Pell grant or financial aid you can use, a school with this kind of pricing is a great deal.  But I would take the "important" courses here (the ones in your major, especially UL) and test out of stuff, and then transfer it all to one of the Big 3 to get the most bang for your buck.
(05-27-2018, 03:08 PM)cookderosa Wrote: One thing I want to add, is that for all the hiccups you may encounter via the big 3, it's not their first day.  This is my 2nd son that I've worked this puzzle with (and my own as well as my husband's) and I am obsessive about turning over every single rock.  The PROBLEM as you're finding, is that most schools aren't transparent in things we are very used to having access to here.  For instance, you'll have to apply (maybe $) and send transcripts ($) to have them evaluated (time) by someone who may or may not have a clue (frustration) and then if you are on the ball and can tell whether or not they may have made a mistake, you can begin the back-and-forth email process of fighting for a few credits.  I'm on about my last nerve with a NA college that my son likes because of the major -and that I really think would be ok for his career- but they are making me crazy because they are just clueless.  In his case, if we proceed, the price is great (~$200/cr) - but frankly, this headache costs something too.  Beyond the initial credit eval, you have YEARS to deal with the school you pick.  Just venting, but the big 3 are rock stars in this arena no question.

by chance any of the below, the college you are looking at (if not, can at least say what state it is in)?

University of North Carolina at Pembroke 187.83
Western Carolina University 189.02
Georgia Southwestern State University 199
Kennesaw State University 199 
Georgia Southern University 204 
Vincennes University 204 

Thanks,
(05-27-2018, 05:04 PM)frank.f.franky Wrote:
(05-27-2018, 03:08 PM)cookderosa Wrote: One thing I want to add, is that for all the hiccups you may encounter via the big 3, it's not their first day.  This is my 2nd son that I've worked this puzzle with (and my own as well as my husband's) and I am obsessive about turning over every single rock.  The PROBLEM as you're finding, is that most schools aren't transparent in things we are very used to having access to here.  For instance, you'll have to apply (maybe $) and send transcripts ($) to have them evaluated (time) by someone who may or may not have a clue (frustration) and then if you are on the ball and can tell whether or not they may have made a mistake, you can begin the back-and-forth email process of fighting for a few credits.  I'm on about my last nerve with a NA college that my son likes because of the major -and that I really think would be ok for his career- but they are making me crazy because they are just clueless.  In his case, if we proceed, the price is great (~$200/cr) - but frankly, this headache costs something too.  Beyond the initial credit eval, you have YEARS to deal with the school you pick.  Just venting, but the big 3 are rock stars in this arena no question.

by chance any of the below, the college you are looking at (if not, can at least say what state it is in)?

University of North Carolina at Pembroke 187.83
Western Carolina University 189.02
Georgia Southwestern State University 199
Kennesaw State University 199 
Georgia Southern University 204 
Vincennes University 204 

Thanks,

PM sent Wink

Pembroke and Western Carolina would only cost us $500 per semester flat rate under the NC Promise program, however, they accept -0- ACE credit, so that's out. I'll have to look at the others.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com and Sophia Partner College Transcripts? acamp 17 1,820 02-12-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Will Sophia automatically send transcripts to Excelsior? browniebo 2 716 08-24-2022, 09:05 AM
Last Post: browniebo
  ACE Credit Registry Change? Transcripts Services Ending GizmoJack 437 58,656 04-13-2022, 01:17 PM
Last Post: ARhead
  Second study.com account for sending transcript lylx1981 2 810 11-26-2021, 06:58 PM
Last Post: lylx1981
  onlinedegree.com transcripts not showing up? studyingfortests 6 986 10-31-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Dropping a course and final transcripts Lossforwords 2 744 04-03-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  Requesting Transcripts from Study.com daharamu 2 1,006 02-07-2021, 12:59 AM
Last Post: daharamu
  Question for folks with Sophia courses missing from Acclaim transcripts ctcarl 33 4,049 01-27-2021, 11:16 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  New Study.com transcripts have a number grade on them jsh1138 3 1,166 12-02-2020, 12:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How To: Sophia.org Transcripts bjcheung77 13 6,858 10-03-2020, 08:32 AM
Last Post: rachel83az