Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop ACE Plan Changes?
I was thinking about taking their journalism and professional writing courses to knock out some more coursework at UMPI, and they no longer have their $80 ACE credit student plan. It's been replaced by some $15 student AP study plan. The courses are all up there, but I'm not seeing any info on whether or not that plan gives you access to the ACE credit finals. Anyone know what's up?

I know not a lot of people here mess with Shmoop anymore, but I thought it might affect a few of us. All the courses have current ACE approval, I just can't find the old plan. Hey, $15 a month for unlimited credit would be a steal, but I doubt that's what is going on here. Just wondering if anyone knew.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
The main problem with Shmoop it that even when the courses are actually ACE approved, no College accepts the courses anymore.

Don't waste your time with Shmoop
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
I think UMPI might. They seem to be liberal with ACE/NA acceptance. I'm hopeful, but it's not a dealbreaker, I was just going to save some time. The 9 credits I have from them won't even apply to that degree, so it doesn't really matter.

I hate Shmoop, to be frank. I hate the material presentation, their goofy tone, the whole nine yards. But it would have been a quick way to knock out a few major courses.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
Nothing has changed from what I can see - but - their website is all screwy and finding things is darn near impossible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old Guy's post:
  • Tedium
(08-11-2020, 03:10 PM)Tedium Wrote: I think UMPI might. They seem to be liberal with ACE/NA acceptance. I'm hopeful, but it's not a dealbreaker, I was just going to save some time. The 9 credits I have from them won't even apply to that degree, so it doesn't really matter.

If you want to roll the dice with Shmoop go right ahead... it is your time and money. However, if it were me, I'd get confirmation from UMPI first that they will accept Shmoop courses for credit and second that the specific Shmoop courses that you want to take will fit into your degree plan as you expect them to and will evaluate to the same number of credits listed on the ACE website. It would suck to do the work and then find out later that it was a waste of time.

(08-11-2020, 03:10 PM)Tedium Wrote: I hate Shmoop, to be frank. I hate the material presentation, their goofy tone, the whole nine yards. But it would have been a quick way to knock out a few major courses.

We all do. Shmoop is terrible, but if you can get credit using them and you can deal with their terrible LMS, then go for it.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I just enrolled at UMPI and there is a limit of 30 ACE credits which can be transferred in. They do not accept all ACE credits. They are selective.
Sorry - I missed the email - Shmoop is going out of the ACE business - here it is.

Hi Shmooper,

You are currently enrolled in ACE Recommended Courses with Shmoop. Due to material changes in their transcription services, as of August 31, 2020 Shmoop will no longer be offering ACE Recommended Courses.

What this means:
You can submit transcript approvals to Shmoop for ACE Credit through August 31
After August 31 your Shmoop subscription will be discontinued
Why??
ACE has announced significant changes to their program this year, which have added complexities that make it infeasible for Shmoop to continue offering college courses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old Guy's post:
  • Muldoon
This is true. I also received this e-mail after inquiring about their college-recommended courses earlier;

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately, we are discontinuing our relationship with ACE at the end of this month and will no longer offer courses for college credit

Best,
Taylor (Shmoop)
LOL, I think... It's just a nicer way of them saying, they didn't get the ACE recommendation for college credit. I took 3 of their ACE courses as they were really cheap when they started, it was the only 3 courses (all history) for 9 elective credits for $25 total. All in all, I didn't like the courses or the way they were taught, but I could not resist cheap credits...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ss20ts
Well, I guess that answers that question. Thank you for the replies. I’m not going to lie, I’m relieved get to avoid the Shmoopiness.

ss20ts - I sent you a PM!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Action Plan Indy73 2 665 12-03-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Indy73
  Coursera Plan of Attack spohara 0 560 09-02-2022, 11:16 AM
Last Post: spohara
  Will a basic plan work for me while I submit my SDC assignments? acethroughcollege 2 701 05-25-2022, 11:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,448 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Which Study.com plan did you pick? collegechick 13 2,095 09-25-2020, 02:14 PM
Last Post: ARhead
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,844 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop outside the Big 3 wow 9 1,545 08-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: wow
  SDC Exam days after College Accelarator Plan Expires Edriveless 2 1,224 07-12-2020, 02:01 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  BACS Plan gams007 9 1,623 04-19-2020, 08:50 PM
Last Post: gams007
  Study.com's "Family Plan" Discount CarpeDiem8 0 920 04-09-2020, 09:07 AM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8