Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop AP classes for Clep?
Can you please advise if this would work? I am considering buying the teacher & student package with Shmoop through the homeschool coop and using it for my kids, but I wondered if the AP prep classes would possibly work well to prepare for Clep exams? i.e. use the videos along with the Modernstates classes? I guess my main concern is, will the video classes on Modernstates fully prepare someone to pass Cleps? If I understand correctly AP exams are typically more in-depth of the same subject? I think we might learn better from the style of Shmoop, but who wants to pay $87/month when I can pay $120 per year?
I tried Shmoop's finite math for college credit
worst course presentation ever
like it was written by idiots for idiots
had to quit after 5 lessons -- just couldn't take it

if you're interested in CLEP just buy some "... for dummies" or "idiots guide to .." or REA CLEP guides from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_...s=rea+clep

and watch some free videos from youtube
crash course has lots of good stuff https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse/playlists
(02-26-2019, 02:15 PM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote: Can you please advise if this would work? I am considering buying the teacher & student package with Shmoop through the homeschool coop and using it for my kids, but I wondered if the AP prep classes would possibly work well to prepare for Clep exams? i.e. use the videos along with the Modernstates classes? I guess my main concern is, will the video classes on Modernstates fully prepare someone to pass Cleps? If I understand correctly AP exams are typically more in-depth of the same subject? I think we might learn better from the style of Shmoop, but who wants to pay $87/month when I can pay $120 per year?

It is always best to use multiple sources when studying for CLEP exams. I usually recommend using the exam-specific REA study guide and InstantCert flashcards at the least, but that can also be supplemented with the Modern States course materials or the recommended text.

I don't know if the Shmoop AP courses will do what you want. Shmoop has a pretty poor reputation in regards to course content and presentation. Many on the forum thought their college recommended courses were torturous for adult students as well as buggy (broken links, incorrect statements, etc.). I don't know if the AP courses are any better.

Personally, if I were doing CLEP exams today, I'd use modern states, the REA study guide, and the IC flashcards and call it good. When I did mine, modern states wasn't around yet, and I did fine just using the REA guide and IC flashcards. I'd add the modern states courses mainly for the free voucher.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • cookderosa
I would have the students try a trial of Shmoop first before paying for a year subscription. If they find it conducive their learning then so be it. Some don't like the teaching style and some do, just try not to get stuck with a curriculum that they don't find helpful.

To be honest I would encourage you to first explore the PLETHORA of free high quality educational resources that are already available. Khan academy is generally considered high quality, is free(and advertisement free), and is officially partnered with AP as their practice resource. There are lots of other open educational resources as well.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Not many people like to use Shmoop for anything unless those credits/courses are for something that isn't really available for cheap anywhere else. When Shmoop started, I only took 3 courses with them in History, then that was it, I couldn't handle taking their courses anymore - at that time, only those 3 courses were worth credit. Now, there are several other courses worth credit, the only thing is, if you're going with TESU, it's not accepted. For other colleges, go bonkers, take as many as you can in a month...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Also, if your kids are homeschooled, is there a way to have them do the actual AP courses/tests? In the off chance that they fail the actual AP test, you could always have them review the material and then take a clep several weeks later.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
(02-26-2019, 03:51 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Also, if your kids are homeschooled, is there a way to have them do the actual AP courses/tests? In the off chance that they fail the actual AP test, you could always have them review the material and then take a clep several weeks later.
I’m not sure, great idea.
(02-26-2019, 02:15 PM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote: Can you please advise if this would work? I am considering buying the teacher & student package with Shmoop through the homeschool coop and using it for my kids, but I wondered if the AP prep classes would possibly work well to prepare for Clep exams? i.e. use the videos along with the Modernstates classes? I guess my main concern is, will the video classes on Modernstates fully prepare someone to pass Cleps? If I understand correctly AP exams are typically more in-depth of the same subject? I think we might learn better from the style of Shmoop, but who wants to pay $87/month when I can pay $120 per year?

not more in-depth- the covered content will be the same. The difference is that for a CLEP you'll answer m/c questions about the content and in the AP you'll be expected to answer free response questions using written words.
Will the content be the same? Yes.
As a content provider, Shmoop needs a lot of improvements. There are a lot of other free resources I'd use instead of paying for Shmoop.
Thanks everybody for all the info. I will definitely use your wise advice.

I didn’t know about the REA guides, so will look into buying some of those. Anyone know if I can buy a used REA book and still get online access? Are the codes generic and reusable or should I purchase brand new books?
(02-26-2019, 05:00 PM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote: Thanks everybody for all the info. I will definitely use your wise advice.

I didn’t know about the REA guides, so will look into buying some of those. Anyone know if I can buy a used REA book and still get online access? Are the codes generic and reusable or should I purchase brand new books?
I rented a few Rea guides from the library that had unused codes. The codes are only usable once(I got very lucky to be the first). However, if you use the digital books, they have generic codes for the online content at a discount (I think $1.99). My libraries(I visited 3+ different branches near me) also have some of the REA guides through digital mediums like hoopla. While we're on the subject of libraries, some also provide free practice tests/resources for things like CLEP/AP/DSST/etc.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 942 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 415 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Do classes from Study.com & Sophia.org appear on Studentclearinghouse.org if... UMPI CanICode 9 1,140 10-17-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Study.com and SL History Classes Duneranger 8 732 09-10-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What order to take classes in using Sophia ltw900rr 12 1,877 09-09-2023, 08:29 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Taking 23 classes at Sophia in one month, is that possible? elcastor21 13 2,140 08-31-2023, 10:48 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Trying to speedrun some SDC classes: Eng 2, Comp. Arch, Soft. Eng, Python 101 Randyb100 16 1,843 06-25-2023, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Randyb100
  5 Study.com Classes EXPIRING 4/30 smarterby1degree 13 2,209 05-19-2023, 02:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Looking for specific classes!! Caecal07 3 503 05-11-2023, 11:59 PM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Last classes at study.com jakill2 2 652 02-23-2023, 09:50 PM
Last Post: smarterby1degree