Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop AP classes for Clep?
(02-26-2019, 05:20 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 05:00 PM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote: Thanks everybody for all the info. I will definitely use your wise advice.

I didn’t know about the REA guides, so will look into buying some of those. Anyone know if I can buy a used REA book and still get online access? Are the codes generic and reusable or should I purchase brand new books?
I rented a few Rea guides from the library that had unused codes. The codes are only usable once(I got very lucky to be the first). However, if you use the digital books, they have generic codes for the online content at a discount (I think $1.99). My libraries(I visited 3+ different branches near me) also have some of the REA guides through digital mediums like hoopla. While we're on the subject of libraries, some also provide free practice tests/resources for things like CLEP/AP/DSST/etc.
I’ll go check it out, didn’t think of that. Hopefully ours will have something useful.
Khan Academy has a bunch of AP courses that are free (Physics, Chem, Bio, US History, World History, US Govt, Art History, Micro & Macro economics).

And Modern States isn't an actual course - it's considered test-prep. For someone already familiar with the subject matter, it might be enough to prep you for the exam. For someone learning the material from scratch, I don't think it will work. But I'm not certain on that, others may have more info.

If it was me, I'd use Modern States as test-prep, and learn the materials another way.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The only time I actually went through the book as well as the videos for MS it was US History II and I found the book to be more than sufficient. Can't vouch for that being the case with other exams though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
In my opinion, a good approach to prepare for an AP test is to first prepare for the CLEP (tests are written to cover the same information) and you can even take the exam to see if you're well-prepared. Then, you need to develop skill at writing persuasive essay answers that have strong thesis statements with proper grammar and punctuation. This will be done in a TIMED SETTING, so beyond skill, practice speed. This will be done long hand with a pencil and paper.

If you don't get a 3 or better on the AP exam, you have the CLEP as a back up.
If the goal is admission to a prestigious school, you'll want to really do a good job preparing. Also, I'm assuming this is for NEXT year, but if not, you may have missed your opportunity to find a school this late in the year - if this year is your plan, finding a school should be priority #1 starting today.
If the goal is not to bolster your admissions packet, and it is FOR the college credit, CLEP is a much easier path assuming the target colleges accept CLEP.

Good luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 301 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 563 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Do classes from Study.com & Sophia.org appear on Studentclearinghouse.org if... UMPI CanICode 9 1,045 10-17-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Study.com and SL History Classes Duneranger 8 680 09-10-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What order to take classes in using Sophia ltw900rr 12 1,787 09-09-2023, 08:29 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Taking 23 classes at Sophia in one month, is that possible? elcastor21 13 2,020 08-31-2023, 10:48 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Trying to speedrun some SDC classes: Eng 2, Comp. Arch, Soft. Eng, Python 101 Randyb100 16 1,785 06-25-2023, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Randyb100
  5 Study.com Classes EXPIRING 4/30 smarterby1degree 13 2,169 05-19-2023, 02:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Looking for specific classes!! Caecal07 3 487 05-11-2023, 11:59 PM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Last classes at study.com jakill2 2 644 02-23-2023, 09:50 PM
Last Post: smarterby1degree