Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop Contemporary Lit: Don't bother, even if you are a literature master
I tried the "drugs in literature" course and had problems with the test questions. The course material was great but the questions were difficult. After unit 2 I was barely passing, after unit 3 I am slightly under passing. I haven't made it to unit 4. I still have a few more weeks left, I may try the last unit. Though the questions don't seem as ambiguous as some of the other courses.
TESC AAS CJ, December 2015
Working on TESU BA CJ/PSY March 2018

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
DSST: Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Substance Abuse
PF: Principles of Loss Prevention, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law
Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
The Institutes: Ethics Course
AP: American History
FHSU: Justice in the Information Age
NOCTI Business Solutions: Protective Services, Security and Protective Services
Schmoop: Drugs in Lit
swalke321 Wrote:I tried the drugs in literature course and had problems with the test questions. The course material was great but the questions were difficult. After unit 2 I was barely passing, after unit 3 I am slightly under passing. I haven't made it to unit 4. I still have a few more weeks left, I may try the last unit. Though the questions don't seem as ambiguous as some of the other courses.

Smile I accidentally read it as
Quote:I tried the drugs in the literature course and had problems with the test questions
the first time, and was like, "wait, WHAT?!" Confusedmilelol:

Of course, my excuse is being a little fuzzy brained now that I'm finally to the end of the Capstone course.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
ndelcollo Wrote:I feel/felt your pain. There were MANY questions throughout the History courses that I felt had multiple answers. I'm pretty sure I wrote something about it on this forum. The way they set up their courses and tests for credit is ridiculous to me. I could not wait to finish the 9 History credits and move on from Shmoop forever. It really sucks because the price can't be beat, however the setup is the worst.

That's the problem with online learning. It's not the right approach to simply take classroom content and type it into an online platform - good online providers have people skilled at the difference. Looks like these guys have a learning curve until they catch up with the others in this space.

EDIT to add: I just read the second set of examples. OMG, I'd stab myself in the eye. I took a class in the 90's when I started teaching at the community college. I was required to obtain a teaching credential for the state of Iowa, and in that credential, I needed to take a 2 credit course called "Evaluating" or something like that. Anyway, writing GOOD test questions is hard. That's why I love CLEP questions. These questions have been worked and re-worked by entire groups of subject matter experts AND test-writing experts. They are different skill sets, as Shmoop will probably find once their student success outcome reports have any real sample size.

Thanks for bringing these questions to the forum - VERY helpful!
I really like the concept of Shmoop- low-ish price, unproctored, multiple subject areas- but they do have a lot to work out. I find their material extremely tedious to slog through and rather jaded/ sarcastic/ odd in its presentation.

At the same time, if one has $90 and wants to devote a month to earning up to 65 credits, the price is hard to beat.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
cookderosa Wrote:That's the problem with online learning. It's not the right approach to simply take classroom content and type it into an online platform - good online providers have people skilled at the difference. Looks like these guys have a learning curve until they catch up with the others in this space.

EDIT to add: I just read the second set of examples. OMG, I'd stab myself in the eye. I took a class in the 90's when I started teaching at the community college. I was required to obtain a teaching credential for the state of Iowa, and in that credential, I needed to take a 2 credit course called "Evaluating" or something like that. Anyway, writing GOOD test questions is hard. That's why I love CLEP questions. These questions have been worked and re-worked by entire groups of subject matter experts AND test-writing experts. They are different skill sets, as Shmoop will probably find once their student success outcome reports have any real sample size.

Thanks for bringing these questions to the forum - VERY helpful!

My husband works for a tech company that has their own certs, and the area he works in was coming out with their own cert, and he was on the committee to write the questions. It was a weeklong process, with him and a bunch of other people writing questions, then going over them with a fine-toothed comb to find the problems, then rewriting someone else's questions to try to make them better, over and over again. Although interesting, it was quite a slog. He hasn't offered to do that again...

Sounds like Shmoop needs a better process.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:My husband works for a tech company that has their own certs, and the area he works in was coming out with their own cert, and he was on the committee to write the questions. It was a weeklong process, with him and a bunch of other people writing questions, then going over them with a fine-toothed comb to find the problems, then rewriting someone else's questions to try to make them better, over and over again. Although interesting, it was quite a slog. He hasn't offered to do that again...

Sounds like Shmoop needs a better process.

if I were guessing, their process is probably a one-man-band. Writing quizzes for your own class isn't enough experience, you have to write the questions for your peers as well as the novice.
Just thought I'd do a quick update in regards to my Shmooping literary journey.

For contemporary Lit, I have abandoned the course after failing the first three unit tests. My grade there stands at 50%. I could retake the tests; I've only attempted each once. But honestly, I'd fare no better. Unless I suddenly found a crystal ball.

Yesterday I started Lit in the Media. I just finished the third unit test, and my grade stands at 83%. It's not a cake-walk, but it is perfectly passable with a little diligence. I'd say if you enjoy books and movies, this one is worth your while (so far).
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.
Thank you for these updates, they are really useful. I hope you end up with lots of upper level credit for these.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Notgodot Wrote:Yesterday I started Lit in the Media. I just finished the third unit test, and my grade stands at 83%. It's not a cake-walk, but it is perfectly passable with a little diligence. I'd say if you enjoy books and movies, this one is worth your while (so far).

Thanks! Since this update, have you had experience with any other Lit classes or the U.S. History courses?

Ideas Wrote:Thanks! Since this update, have you had experience with any other Lit classes or the U.S. History courses?

I finished all the history courses and all the lit courses except for contemporary lit. Overall I'd say the history courses are more straightforward, but you can't get by on general knowledge. Unit tests ask questions very specific to the unit material, so you'll want to keep tabs open from the unit to go searching for those really specific answers. This is true for all Shmoop courses.
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENG301 Non Western Literature Lacedonia4 9 2,117 01-04-2024, 07:32 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Google has released 10 free courses to master AI LevelUP 2 1,049 08-12-2023, 03:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can your Sophia credits be rejected when applying for a Master? ausernameisneeded 24 4,147 08-03-2023, 05:37 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,477 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Straighterline - Literature & Fine Art nilahti2 7 1,322 10-04-2020, 09:03 AM
Last Post: nilahti2
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,904 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop ACE Plan Changes? Tedium 80 8,137 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Shmoop outside the Big 3 wow 9 1,564 08-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: wow
  Shmoop Credits? asianphd 59 11,270 02-27-2020, 09:00 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Shmoop: New Look eriehiker 6 2,162 11-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Last Post: jsd