Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop Contemporary Lit: Don't bother, even if you are a literature master
KayV Wrote:I really like the concept of Shmoop- low-ish price, unproctored, multiple subject areas- but they do have a lot to work out. I find their material extremely tedious to slog through and rather jaded/ sarcastic/ odd in its presentation.

At the same time, if one has $90 and wants to devote a month to earning up to 65 credits, the price is hard to beat.

Are we talking Saylor level of slog or worse?

dfrecore Wrote:My husband works for a tech company that has their own certs, and the area he works in was coming out with their own cert, and he was on the committee to write the questions. It was a weeklong process, with him and a bunch of other people writing questions, then going over them with a fine-toothed comb to find the problems, then rewriting someone else's questions to try to make them better, over and over again. Although interesting, it was quite a slog. He hasn't offered to do that again...

Sounds like Shmoop needs a better process.

I worked for Microsoft back in the day and was part of the team that did their certification tests, it was a long process to create one test. We then gave it Internally and re-evaluated it, it could take several months and IMO we still had some bad tests. You need testing/teaching experts as well as subject matter experts.
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
This is a problem I had with Ed4Credit.

They would have a question, I'd fail it. So, I'd go back and search for key phrasing, and not find it. Then I'd reread for context, and not find it contextually. The test itself would only say 'incorrect. Chapter nn. Well, I'm TAKING the chapter nn test, that's not useful, clearly I didn't get it... lol

Maybe it's intellectually lazy, but I certainly do appreciate questions with a single clear-cut, correct answer. Or the old 'two are completely wrong, one could be right, but one definitely is right- I remember it from the discussion' type testing.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENG301 Non Western Literature Lacedonia4 9 2,111 01-04-2024, 07:32 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Google has released 10 free courses to master AI LevelUP 2 1,045 08-12-2023, 03:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can your Sophia credits be rejected when applying for a Master? ausernameisneeded 24 4,129 08-03-2023, 05:37 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,471 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Straighterline - Literature & Fine Art nilahti2 7 1,318 10-04-2020, 09:03 AM
Last Post: nilahti2
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,877 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop ACE Plan Changes? Tedium 80 8,129 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Shmoop outside the Big 3 wow 9 1,562 08-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: wow
  Shmoop Credits? asianphd 59 11,260 02-27-2020, 09:00 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Shmoop: New Look eriehiker 6 2,158 11-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Last Post: jsd