Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop Credits?
(10-06-2019, 12:07 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: At least now you guys have a non-western lit from Study.com to help. Back when TESU quit taking Shmoop we didn't even have that

True, but completing COSC BSBA without Shmoop will be longer, harder and much more expensive...
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
Davar Academy may be another affordable option to consider. Most courses are around $70 + the cost of the proctor. They also offer a Business Class Membership. For $99 a month, you can choose 2 courses each month. The membership does not include the proctor fee, but you can choose to use either RPNow or ProctorU. They provide you all the study materials (the course syllabus, a powerpoint study guide, practice quizzes, and links to relevant videos) that you will need need to review and study for one final exam. When you feel ready, you can schedule your exam with either proctor service. 

A couple of courses may have an additional assignment, but that is rare. Most courses are based on a single final exam only. The final exam will be mostly multiple choice questions and then approximately 10 short essay answer questions. They are NCCRS evaluated courses and offer a transfer guide to Charter Oak that can be helpful when planning your remaining degree requirements.
[-] The following 3 users Like shadowgem's post:
  • cecilgambe7, daunrene, suzycupcake
(10-06-2019, 08:39 AM)shadowgem Wrote: Davar Academy may be another affordable option to consider. Most courses are around $70 + the cost of the proctor. They also offer a Business Class Membership. For $99 a month, you can choose 2 courses each month. The membership does not include the proctor fee, but you can choose to use either RPNow or ProctorU. They provide you all the study materials (the course syllabus, a powerpoint study guide, practice quizzes, and links to relevant videos) that you will need need to review and study for one final exam. When you feel ready, you can schedule your exam with either proctor service. 

A couple of courses may have an additional assignment, but that is rare. Most courses are based on a single final exam only. The final exam will be mostly multiple choice questions and then approximately 10 short essay answer questions. They are NCCRS evaluated courses and offer a transfer guide to Charter Oak that can be helpful when planning your remaining degree requirements.

With RPNow fee, i think it is 130 usd per two courses per month. 65 usd per course.

It is a good option, but still expensive compared with Shmoop.

Shmoop originally cover 10 -general education + business- courses and also some liberal arts and free electives, in my original plan i can cover around 15 courses by using shmoop and spending about 350 to 440 usd, now i need to spend more that 1000 usd to cover the same courses  Sad
(10-06-2019, 09:33 AM)cecilgambe7 Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 08:39 AM)shadowgem Wrote: Davar Academy may be another affordable option to consider. Most courses are around $70 + the cost of the proctor. They also offer a Business Class Membership. For $99 a month, you can choose 2 courses each month. The membership does not include the proctor fee, but you can choose to use either RPNow or ProctorU. They provide you all the study materials (the course syllabus, a powerpoint study guide, practice quizzes, and links to relevant videos) that you will need need to review and study for one final exam. When you feel ready, you can schedule your exam with either proctor service. 

With RPNow fee, i think it is 130 usd per two courses per month. 65 usd per course.

It is a good option, but still expensive compared with Shmoop.

Shmoop originally cover 10 -general education + business- courses and also some liberal arts and free electives, in my original plan i can cover around 15 courses by using shmoop and spending about 350 to 440 usd, now i need to spend more that 1000 usd to cover the same courses  Sad

I know it can be frustrating when a major change like this occurs, but don't let it discourage you. It's probably better to know something like this early on, rather than find out after you invested time and energy into courses that would not be accepted ultimately. So another way to look at this piece of information is as a "savings" in what you could of spent in wasted money and effort. 

What were the specific Shmoop courses you had originally planned into completing your degree? Do you happen to have access to a CLEP testing center?
[-] The following 1 user Likes shadowgem's post:
  • cecilgambe7
(10-06-2019, 11:11 AM)shadowgem Wrote: I know it can be frustrating when a major change like this occurs, but don't let it discourage you. It's probably better to know something like this early on, rather than find out after you invested time and energy into courses that would not be accepted ultimately. So another way to look at this piece of information is as a "savings" in what you could of spent in wasted money and effort. 

What were the specific Shmoop courses you had originally planned into completing your degree? Do you happen to have access to a CLEP testing center?

Thats totally true, my next step was actually to pay for a month Shmoop suscription to complete some courses, specially Introduction to Marketing. But now, my best next step is to complete it with DAVAR.

The specific Shmoop courses i had originally planned into completing my degree was:
Comparative Goverment/Politics
Intro Art History
Statistics
Intro Chemestry
Psycology 101
American National Goverment
Financial Accounting
Prin of Management
Intro to Marketing
Principles of finances

I am international student, so i cannot take the CLEP option
(10-06-2019, 11:46 AM)cecilgambe7 Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 11:11 AM)shadowgem Wrote: I know it can be frustrating when a major change like this occurs, but don't let it discourage you. It's probably better to know something like this early on, rather than find out after you invested time and energy into courses that would not be accepted ultimately. So another way to look at this piece of information is as a "savings" in what you could of spent in wasted money and effort. 

Thats totally true, my next step was actually to pay for a month Shmoop suscription to complete some courses, specially Introduction to Marketing. But now, my best next step is to complete it with DAVAR.

The specific Shmoop courses i had originally planned into completing my degree was:
Intro Art History
Statistics
Intro Chemestry
Psycology 101
Financial Accounting
Prin of Management
Intro to Marketing
Principles of finances

Saylor may be an option for you, they allow international students - https://www.saylor.org/credit/
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Intro Art History
Statistics
Intro Chemestry
Psycology 101
Financial Accounting
Prin of Management
Intro to Marketing
Principles of finances

Fortunately, I think most of these are available via Saylor Academy which is even cheaper than Shmoop. 

Comparitve Government/Politics to meet Global Understanding? - According to the Saylor to Charter Oak Transfer Guide, you could take Saylor's Introduction to Comparitive Politics (POLSC221). This course is ACE evaluated until 5/30/22. Other options at Saylor, according to the aforementioned guide would be Introduction to Western Political Thought ((POLSC201) which is ACE evaluated until 5/31/21, or Introduction to Political Science (POLSC101) which is currently only ACE evaluated until 11/30/19. 

If this course was to meet the Global Understanding requirement, you could also consider SDC Marketing 303 which transfers into Charter Oak as MKT 310 International Marketing (UL) and should meet this requirement in addition to an UL requirement if you look at the  Charter Oak General Education Guide.

Intro to Art History to meet Literature/Fine Arts? - I am not 100% sure but Saylor Academy's Art Appreciation (ARTH101) would probably meet this requirement. It's ACE evaluated until 5/30/22. I know SDC's History of Western Art does, so the Saylor equivalent may as well. 

Statistics to meet the BSBA Mathematics? - The above Saylor to Charter Oak Transfer Guide shows Saylor's Introduction to Statistics course as transferring into Charter Oak as MAT105 Statistics so this should work as an alternative option to Shmoops equivalent. It is ACE evaluated until 5/31/21.

Introduction to Chemistry -  Is this course to meet the secondary science requirement? Also have you planned a Science with Lab? Saylor could be used here as well to meet the secondary (NO LAB) science requirement according to the Charter Oak/Saylor Academy transfer guide. Chemistry (CHEM101) is ACE evaluated until 5/31/21. 

If you need a Lab Science course as well, SDC has Biology I w/ Virtual Lab and is the cheapest option I know of. The virtual lab fee is only $40 in addition to the standard course fee. SDC does offer a nice variety of Science course options. Also if you look at the general education course options listed on Charter Oak's website, it appears that Forensic Science could also be used to meet a science requirement at COSC. That means that the SDC course Criminal Justice 106: Forensic Science would be another option for you here as well, although not as inexpensive as a science course via Saylor. 

Psychology 101 to meet Social/Behavioral Science? - This course is also available at Saylor Academy for $25 since Psychology is not a Major/Concentration course for the Business Major. It is ACE evaluated until 5/31/22. Saylor also offers an Organizational Behavior course (BUS209) that is ACE evaluated as LL until 5/31/21. I'm not sure if Charter Oak would bring it in as LL or UL. They don't always follow ACE guidelines, so its hard to predict. 

However another thought is that Davar's Organizational Behavior should also meet this requirement as well as the Business Major Organizational Business requirement and appears to transfer in as UL according to the Davar/Charter Oak transfer guide. Charter Oak typically allows you to apply a single course to multiple requirements, so this one course could potentially meet the two individual requirements and an UL requirement, making it potentially a better value. You would still need to take another free elective/liberal arts course, however it could provide you more flexibility in the choice of an additional course. 

American National Government to meet US History/Government?  - I think Davar's American Government or one of SDC's Government or US History courses will be the best choices here to replace that course. I would probably choose SDC even though it would be a bit more expensive by $20-50 than the American Government course exam. The Davar exam was not impossible, but I just did not feel the study guide was aligned as well to the exam for this particular course. I think SDC also has a couple of UL history courses options, so that is another thing to consider. 

Financial Accounting to meet one of the the Business Admin Major Financial and Managerial Accounting requirements? - Saylor's BUS103 Introduction to Financial Accounting (ACE evaluated until 5/31/21) and BUS105 Managerial Accounting (ACE evaluated only until 11/30/19) would both probably work here. However, it's hard to know for sure given that the Saylor/Charter Oak partner page has not been update for a long time. 

If neither of the above are an option, then Davar's Accounting for Management course would be the equivalent of the Shmoop course. And then of course Managerial Accounting can be taken via Straighterline or SDC. If you need any other courses at SL, then keep an eye out for the buy 1 course get 1 course free deals. 

Principles of Management to meet one of the Business Major Foundations requirements? Saylor's Principles of Management (BUS208) can meet this requirement according to the transfer guide. It is ACE evaluated until 5/31/21. As a side note, Saylor also offers Business Law (BUS205) which is ACE evaluated until 5/31/21 and could meet another one of the 12 required courses under Foundations as well. It may be worth asking about at least. Davar's MAN-101 Principles of Management and LAW-201 Business Law are the next cheapest options that I am aware of. Additionally, Davar offers Management Information Systems which should also fall under this category. Just note, it does not transfer in as UL as indicated on the Davar/Charter Oak page, but rather as Management Information Systems (ITE101). 

Introduction to Marketing also to meet Business Major Foundations requirements? Again I do not see this course on the Saylor/Charter Oak transfer guide but it is very likely that Saylor's Principles of Marketing (BUS203) could meet this requirement as well, so potentially worth asking your adviser about. It is ACE evaluated until 5/31/21. Davar's Introduction to Marketing (MAR-101) would be the next cheapest option for you that I am aware of.

Principles of Finance for the Business Major Finance requirement?- Saylor Academy's Principle of Finance (BUS202) will possibly work here, although it is not listed on the transfer agreement page so would need to be verified first. Davar's Introduction to Finance course may work as well, although its not clear cut looking at the Davar/Charter Oak transfer guide so I would suggest verifying either of these courses in advance. 

I hope at least a few of these potential options can make the overall cost a bit more affordable for you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes shadowgem's post:
  • cecilgambe7
(10-06-2019, 02:07 PM)shadowgem Wrote:

Intro Art History
Statistics
Intro Chemestry
Psycology 101
Financial Accounting
Prin of Management
Intro to Marketing
Principles of finances

Fortunately, I think most of these are available via Saylor Academy which is even cheaper than Shmoop. 

Comparitve Government/Politics to meet Global Understanding? - According to the Saylor to Charter Oak Transfer Guide, you could take Saylor's Introduction to Comparitive Politics (POLSC221). This course is ACE evaluated until 5/30/22. Other options at Saylor, according to the aforementioned guide would be Introduction to Western Political Thought ((POLSC201) which is ACE evaluated until 5/31/21, or Introduction to Political Science (POLSC101) which is currently only ACE evaluated until 11/30/19. 

If this course was to meet the Global Understanding requirement, you could also consider SDC Marketing 303 which transfers into Charter Oak as MKT 310 International Marketing (UL) and should meet this requirement in addition to an UL requirement if you look at the  Charter Oak General Education Guide.

Intro to Art History to meet Literature/Fine Arts? - I am not 100% sure but Saylor Academy's Art Appreciation (ARTH101) would probably meet this requirement. It's ACE evaluated until 5/30/22. I know SDC's History of Western Art does, so the Saylor equivalent may as well. 

Statistics to meet the BSBA Mathematics? - The above Saylor to Charter Oak Transfer Guide shows Saylor's Introduction to Statistics course as transferring into Charter Oak as MAT105 Statistics so this should work as an alternative option to Shmoops equivalent. It is ACE evaluated until 5/31/21.

Introduction to Chemistry -  Is this course to meet the secondary science requirement? Also have you planned a Science with Lab? Saylor could be used here as well to meet the secondary (NO LAB) science requirement according to the Charter Oak/Saylor Academy transfer guide. Chemistry (CHEM101) is ACE evaluated until 5/31/21. 

If you need a Lab Science course as well, SDC has Biology I w/ Virtual Lab and is the cheapest option I know of. The virtual lab fee is only $40 in addition to the standard course fee. SDC does offer a nice variety of Science course options. Also if you look at the general education course options listed on Charter Oak's website, it appears that Forensic Science could also be used to meet a science requirement at COSC. That means that the SDC course Criminal Justice 106: Forensic Science would be another option for you here as well, although not as inexpensive as a science course via Saylor. 

Psychology 101 to meet Social/Behavioral Science? - This course is also available at Saylor Academy for $25 since Psychology is not a Major/Concentration course for the Business Major. It is ACE evaluated until 5/31/22. Saylor also offers an Organizational Behavior course (BUS209) that is ACE evaluated as LL until 5/31/21. I'm not sure if Charter Oak would bring it in as LL or UL. They don't always follow ACE guidelines, so its hard to predict. 

However another thought is that Davar's Organizational Behavior should also meet this requirement as well as the Business Major Organizational Business requirement and appears to transfer in as UL according to the Davar/Charter Oak transfer guide. Charter Oak typically allows you to apply a single course to multiple requirements, so this one course could potentially meet the two individual requirements and an UL requirement, making it potentially a better value. You would still need to take another free elective/liberal arts course, however it could provide you more flexibility in the choice of an additional course. 

American National Government to meet US History/Government?  - I think Davar's American Government or one of SDC's Government or US History courses will be the best choices here to replace that course. I would probably choose SDC even though it would be a bit more expensive by $20-50 than the American Government course exam. The Davar exam was not impossible, but I just did not feel the study guide was aligned as well to the exam for this particular course. I think SDC also has a couple of UL history courses options, so that is another thing to consider. 

Financial Accounting to meet one of the the Business Admin Major Financial and Managerial Accounting requirements? - Saylor's BUS103 Introduction to Financial Accounting (ACE evaluated until 5/31/21) and BUS105 Managerial Accounting (ACE evaluated only until 11/30/19) would both probably work here. However, it's hard to know for sure given that the Saylor/Charter Oak partner page has not been update for a long time. 

If neither of the above are an option, then Davar's Accounting for Management course would be the equivalent of the Shmoop course. And then of course Managerial Accounting can be taken via Straighterline or SDC. If you need any other courses at SL, then keep an eye out for the buy 1 course get 1 course free deals. 

Principles of Management to meet one of the Business Major Foundations requirements? Saylor's Principles of Management (BUS208) can meet this requirement according to the transfer guide. It is ACE evaluated until 5/31/21. As a side note, Saylor also offers Business Law (BUS205) which is ACE evaluated until 5/31/21 and could meet another one of the 12 required courses under Foundations as well. It may be worth asking about at least. Davar's MAN-101 Principles of Management and LAW-201 Business Law are the next cheapest options that I am aware of. Additionally, Davar offers Management Information Systems which should also fall under this category. Just note, it does not transfer in as UL as indicated on the Davar/Charter Oak page, but rather as Management Information Systems (ITE101). 

Introduction to Marketing also to meet Business Major Foundations requirements? Again I do not see this course on the Saylor/Charter Oak transfer guide but it is very likely that Saylor's Principles of Marketing (BUS203) could meet this requirement as well, so potentially worth asking your adviser about. It is ACE evaluated until 5/31/21. Davar's Introduction to Marketing (MAR-101) would be the next cheapest option for you that I am aware of.

Principles of Finance for the Business Major Finance requirement?- Saylor Academy's Principle of Finance (BUS202) will possibly work here, although it is not listed on the transfer agreement page so would need to be verified first. Davar's Introduction to Finance course may work as well, although its not clear cut looking at the Davar/Charter Oak transfer guide so I would suggest verifying either of these courses in advance. 

I hope at least a few of these potential options can make the overall cost a bit more affordable for you.

Thank you so much for your feedback and for your detailed thread. I actually do Micro and Macroeconomics with Saylor, so i think i will keep working with them for a while.
I kind of read the quote from Charter Oak to mean that they do not accept Shmoop credits for students outside the US (since the first part of the paragraph referenced that). I will email them and ask and post their reply.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

[-] The following 1 user Likes TwinMom's post:
  • cecilgambe7
(10-06-2019, 03:44 PM)TwinMom Wrote: I kind of read the quote from Charter Oak to mean that they do not accept Shmoop credits for students outside the US (since the first part of the paragraph referenced that).  I will email them and ask and post their reply.

I think there is no reason to accept and to not accept specific providers based on US and Non-US residences status, but in the other hand i think it is good idea to re-ask the question to COSC because the people who answer back mails from COSC are a little bit contradictory somethimes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 8 675 Yesterday, 03:14 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Excelsior Transfer Credits, limit? Stoffelhoff89 4 211 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Stoffelhoff89
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 186 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,198 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 595 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 598 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 3,093 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 649 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  ACTFL no longer give ACE credits? Kab 16 1,402 08-10-2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Can your Sophia credits be rejected when applying for a Master? ausernameisneeded 24 4,170 08-03-2023, 05:37 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded