Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop Grading Policy-Summary
Hiya,

For anyone considering or taking a Shmoop course, I wanted to post a short list of grading percentages. Even though it's on the "What You'll Need" section in each course, I thought it might be helpful. (sorry for giant font, I copied from the site)

Grading Policy
In order to pass the course, you will need to receive a 70% or higher final grade. Your final grade will include the following:
  • Unit Tests. You'll see these at the end of each unit, except for the final unit.
    • Navigate to the unit tests via the Syllabus feature to the left of the content area.
  • Final. You'll see this at the end of the course.
    • Navigate to the final via the Syllabus feature to the left of the content area; it will be the last item in the final unit.
Each question is valued at 3 points each. Thus, unit tests are worth 60 points each, and the final is worth 150 points. The grade breakdown is as follows:

Each unit test = 6.5% of your grade (total of 83.9% of your grade for all unit tests combined)
Final = 16.1% of your grade

Please note: quizzes, which appear as activities, are optional and will not be counted as part of your grade. They are intended as comprehension checks to be sure you feel comfortable with the material at a base level.
Retake Policy
You will be able to retake each unit test and the final one (1) time, for a total of two (2) attempts on each test/final. After your second attempt, you will not be able to retake the test again, and the score of the second attempt will be counted toward your final grade.
(01-14-2018, 04:38 PM)Mamalady Wrote: Hiya,

For anyone considering or taking a Shmoop course, I wanted to post a short list of grading percentages. Even though it's on the "What You'll Need" section in each course, I thought it might be helpful. (sorry for giant font, I copied from the site)

Grading Policy
In order to pass the course, you will need to receive a 70% or higher final grade. Your final grade will include the following:
  • Unit Tests. You'll see these at the end of each unit, except for the final unit.
    • Navigate to the unit tests via the Syllabus feature to the left of the content area.
  • Final. You'll see this at the end of the course.
    • Navigate to the final via the Syllabus feature to the left of the content area; it will be the last item in the final unit.
Each question is valued at 3 points each. Thus, unit tests are worth 60 points each, and the final is worth 150 points. The grade breakdown is as follows:

Each unit test = 6.5% of your grade (total of 83.9% of your grade for all unit tests combined)
Final = 16.1% of your grade

Please note: quizzes, which appear as activities, are optional and will not be counted as part of your grade. They are intended as comprehension checks to be sure you feel comfortable with the material at a base level.
Retake Policy
You will be able to retake each unit test and the final one (1) time, for a total of two (2) attempts on each test/final. After your second attempt, you will not be able to retake the test again, and the score of the second attempt will be counted toward your final grade.

So is this like SL in that you don't have to pass the final, only the course? Or is it like Study in that you need to also pass the final?
See, this is what I'm trying to figure out. I have taken 2 other Shmoop courses, and took the final. Now all of a sudden as I completed the final unit for Women's Lit it's saying it's complete before the final. I guess I should email them but I was kind of hoping to get out of taking the final if possible. Just ready to move on to the next course. I attached my scores if anyone is interested in crunching the numbers.

Attached Files
.png   Womens Lit course scores.png (Size: 62.42 KB / Downloads: 20)
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
you prob have to at least take the final, even if you don't "need" it

i mean its only 50 questions, you can do it in 10 min
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Something interesting. For ACE credit you need only a 70% average regardless of the final exam. For a course certificate you need 70% in the final regardless of unit exams.
I got my course cert today on Holocaust Lit before I took the final
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(01-15-2018, 04:27 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I got my course cert today on Holocaust Lit before I took the final

I went ahead and added it to ACE before taking the final. I'll report back.
Amy
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
[-] The following 1 user Likes originalamyj's post:
  • quigongene
Here’s our answer:

“We received your request to approve your Women's Literature course on Shmoop for ACE CREDIT.

According to our records, it looks like you haven't actually completed the course. In order to complete the course, you need to finish all unit exams, the final exam, and end with an overall score of 70% or higher. Right now, it looks like you're at 88% progress; you'll need to be at 100% progress to receive credit. (It looks like just the Final Exam needs to be completed still.)

Please let us know if you have any questions! Otherwise, we'll look forward to getting another request once you've completed the course.

Thanks,
Team Shmoop”
Amy
Welp, now we know!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia touchstone grading times? Insert Name 6 2,247 06-26-2023, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Infinite-Telephone52
  Saylor grading and transcript timeframe Ideas 5 1,074 08-21-2022, 05:06 PM
Last Post: MidLifeCrisis
  Straighterline Exams Retake Policy? Pats20 2 1,875 04-03-2022, 06:57 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  study.com grading channaleah 15 4,515 03-23-2022, 12:07 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Coopersmith grading? Ideas 4 1,135 02-03-2022, 10:33 PM