Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop Help - Any Advice for a Newbie?
I am open to any advice to help me pass. I desperately need to complete 3 Shmoop courses. I started a few days ago and am struggling more than expected. The first 2 tests I got a 68% and 70%. I usually feel confident but this site has really gotten me down. What strategies or tips help you with Shmoop courses? I am working on Principles of Finance now and also need American Government and Business Communications.

I'm used to Study.com but their site is out of my budget right now and I've already used the Guardian Scholarship.
I think Shmoop needs more patience and going slower. Questions can be tricky Sad

For budget credits, also consider Modern States, Saylor, SL (with coupon code), and Davar (the business class membership).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Muldoon
American Government can be done through Modern States/CLEP for free, and Saylor has Corporate Comm for $25. So that would leave you with just Prin of Finance to try to do in a month, if that helps any.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Shmoop isn't my favorite medium. I too struggled on courses I would (and did) ace elsewhere. It's their format. It works for some but not all. Some leave tabs open and do searches but I found that confusing if there were a lot of links. I even tried copying everything into a word document and searching that way. Maybe that will help.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
(02-18-2018, 11:20 PM)rlw74 Wrote: Shmoop isn't my favorite medium. I too struggled on courses I would (and did) ace elsewhere. It's their format. It works for some but not all. Some leave tabs open and do searches but I found that confusing if there were a lot of links. I even tried copying everything into a word document and searching that way. Maybe that will help.

Thank you! The Word document is exactly what I needed. Finished my first course with an 80%.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mrshill818's post:
  • Muldoon
I use Google docs for it. It's super easy to keep a Docs tab open and copy the course material. The links transfer over nicely too. You are basically then creating your own textbook of sorts for the class. I think my Women's Lit document was about 85 pages. Still no cakewalk, but better than nothing!
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
[-] The following 2 users Like originalamyj's post:
  • Muldoon, scout2family
(02-23-2018, 09:04 AM)originalamyj Wrote: I use Google docs for it. It's super easy to keep a Docs tab open and copy the course material. The links transfer over nicely too. You are basically then creating your own textbook of sorts for the class.  I think my Women's Lit document was about 85 pages. Still no cakewalk, but better than nothing!
do you open the links or just copy them over? and then are you able to search through it?
For fun i tried to do shmoop course i have already taken at the CC and i think i have some skill at.

Shmoop is garbage. Shmoop is someone simply trying to increase their word count on an essay by adding obnoxious and unusual words just to seem more well rounded.

The only benefit is that it is cheap. Otherwise it is a sorry excuse for an education delivery system.
jjsafari - I totally agree! As I have a pretty extensive background in English Literature, I found it insulting that courses had so many grammatical and spelling errors. The writing alone would get you kicked out of many writing classes. I can't even start on the general formatting issues and broken links. I would never recommend them based on quality. Cost and the ability to get certain kinds of credits are the ONLY thing they have going for them. I don't know how they got ACE approval.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
Thanks for all the advice. I was able to complete all 3 this week. Principles of Finance was pretty awful and took a few days but I got the hang of Shmoop once I jumped into American Government. I finished it in under 4 hours. Business Communications was really easy and common sense. Took about 5 hours.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Transferring Sophia Courses SophiaPrincess 32 4,771 06-20-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English Composition 2 Help/Advice dreamarts 20 4,537 09-27-2022, 10:42 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  WGU BS Cybersecurity need advice WGUcyberguy 8 1,460 07-30-2022, 12:38 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Any advice on taking Study.com's Finance 301: Corporate Finance? cdickerson0601 6 1,342 11-17-2021, 01:54 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice needed - looking to earn CS credits jonsnow 20 6,598 08-04-2021, 01:23 AM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,448 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,844 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop ACE Plan Changes? Tedium 80 7,967 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Shmoop outside the Big 3 wow 9 1,545 08-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: wow
  Newbie not impressed with SL SCYankee 19 3,070 03-26-2020, 04:45 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle