Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop Is Now Unproctored Again
Just received this message from Shmoop. TESU are still not accepting credits from Shmoop, but if you're getting your degree from another college like COSC, it may be good to check with them if it's not required to take a proctored exam to obtain credit with Shmoop.

"we now offer the option to complete your Shmoop College Plus courses' Final Exams either proctored or unproctored. Does your target transfer school requires procoting? Great; we've got you covered with easy-to-use online proctoring. Does your school not ask for proctoring, or do you just want to finish the course for kicks and giggles? That's great too; you can now choose to take your Final Exam without a proctor. "

- Shmoop
GOAL 
University: UMPI
Degree: BLS Project Management
COMPLETED CREDITS 56/120
Rowan College @ BC | English Comp. I (3 cr.)
The Institutes | 312N-H Ethics  (2cr.)
Study.com | Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace (3 cr.)
ALEKS | College Algebra (3 cr.)
NFA | Q0118 - Community Safety Educators  (1 cr.)
TEEX | Cyber 101, Cyber 201, Cyber 301 (6cr.)
Sophia | Principles of Finance, Art History II, U.S. History I, Intro. to Nutrition, Art History 1, Environmental Science, Intro to Web Development, Approaches to Studying Religion, Visual Communications, Intro. To Information Technologies, Intro. to Business, Ancient Greek Philosophy, Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict  (38 cr.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes ISKBizz15's post:
  • hsfamfun
I'm baffled why TESU wouldn't accept it with proctoring.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Interesting
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Hmm do you still get credit with it being unproctored? Makes you wonder are they going that route.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(09-06-2018, 10:01 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Hmm do you still get credit with it being unproctored? Makes you wonder are they going that route.

Can we assume that ACE,COSC & Excelsior will accept it without proctoring?

(09-06-2018, 10:47 PM)nosey561 Wrote:
(09-06-2018, 10:01 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Hmm do you still get credit with it being unproctored? Makes you wonder are they going that route.

Can we assume that ACE,COSC & Excelsior will accept it without proctoring?

"Earn a 70% or higher overall grade in the course by taking a series of unit tests and a final exam that test your subject knowledge. All final exams require proctoring. Click here to learn more about the proctoring requirements and how to schedule your final exams."

SHMOOP website still says that proctoring is required.
I looked at the ACE site and some of the Shmoop courses have the following listed with their ace recommendation; "All Shmoop ACE CREDIT recommended courses offer proctoring options for final exams. If you have questions about Shmoop proctoring, or need to verify proctoring, please contact support@shmoop.com"

So it looks like going forward, they intend to have it be an option. They may not have updated all of the site yet. Also, if you want to suffer through Shmoop courses, I would double check and make absolutely sure they will be accepted at your institution and have them pre approved for your plan. And verify whether your institution will accept proctored or unproctored.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I wonder why TESU won't take it even with the proctoring. That seems kind of odd, if they're proctored I don't see much difference between Shmoop and some of the other ones they do accept. Well, besides the migraine Shmoop likes to give people because of the way that they give you their information.
TESU BA Liberal Studies /Communications 

(09-06-2018, 10:58 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I looked at the ACE site and some of the Shmoop courses have the following listed with their ace recommendation; "All Shmoop ACE CREDIT recommended courses offer proctoring options for final exams. If you have questions about Shmoop proctoring, or need to verify proctoring, please contact support@shmoop.com"

So it looks like going forward, they intend to have it be an option. They may not have updated all of the site yet. Also, if you want to suffer through Shmoop courses, I would double check and make absolutely sure they will be accepted at your institution and have them pre approved for your plan. And verify whether your institution will accept proctored or unproctored.

I think the opposite is true - I think the statement refers to historical not future.  Their ACE time frame for credit did not alter, only their addition of proctoring.  In other words I took US History I before proctoring was even offered, I received ACE credit; but if I was to take US History II now I would require proctoring for credit.  Shmoop is still very new to ACE, I think they added proctoring in a strategic move after having issues with TESU (& possibly other schools we don't know about). Shmoop has learned that proctoring is important to the higher educational environment, yet they still have a need to 'disclaim' for students like me who earned the same credits unproctored.

Now on a personal note, I cannot think of an alternative credit provider I would want to return to less than Shmoop - I really disliked it.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I'm not really sure how you would be able to prove that you took the proctored final on your ACE transcript? If it's an option, but ACE will take it either way, how do you show your school that you did it proctored vs. unproctored?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jsd
(09-08-2018, 02:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm not really sure how you would be able to prove that you took the proctored final on your ACE transcript?  If it's an option, but ACE will take it either way, how do you show your school that you did it proctored vs. unproctored?

In the ACE blurb, it invites schools who need to verify proctoring for a student to email them.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,473 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,903 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop ACE Plan Changes? Tedium 80 8,133 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Shmoop outside the Big 3 wow 9 1,562 08-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: wow
  Shmoop Credits? asianphd 59 11,266 02-27-2020, 09:00 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Shmoop: New Look eriehiker 6 2,162 11-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Last Post: jsd
  OnlineDegree vs SDC vs Shmoop vs Other Options? rvm 36 7,734 10-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Which colleges still accept Shmoop? nosey561 0 764 10-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  New Shmoop Course: African-American Literature eriehiker 5 1,591 09-14-2019, 07:38 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Shmoop Extention jamshid666 10 2,166 09-12-2019, 02:07 PM
Last Post: jamshid666