Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop explains what happened at TESU, says it's temporary...
(05-08-2018, 05:02 PM)clep3705 Wrote: It's easy to get a lot of online courses completed quickly. There are websites where you can hire someone to take your online courses for a fee.

Like that lady who spammed our board with anti-StraighterLine junk because she got caught cheating when someone from Fiverr reported her for paying people to take her finals
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(05-08-2018, 05:10 PM)davewill Wrote:
(05-08-2018, 04:44 PM)Yenisei Wrote: So perhaps almost enough for a BALS?

Talk about someone messing up a good thing.

It shouldn't mess anything up. ultimately. Shmoop may just have to add proctoring.

I don't see Shmoop doing that. They would have to increase their prices, make changes to their design, and who knows what else. I don't think would really have an incentive.
They offer ACE certified courses, not TESU certified courses. Every place tells you it's up to the specific institute if they will accept them or not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes xjarhead1999's post:
  • Life Long Learning
I have a feeling that the Big 3 are where a majority of Shmoop's clients transfer their credits to. If one of the Big 3 isn't happy, they're going to make sure to cater to them to avoid losing customers wanting to transfer to one of the Big 3.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(05-08-2018, 05:35 PM)xjarhead1999 Wrote:
(05-08-2018, 05:10 PM)davewill Wrote: It shouldn't mess anything up. ultimately. Shmoop may just have to add proctoring.

I don't see Shmoop doing that. They would have to increase their prices, make changes to their design, and who knows what else. I don't think would really have an incentive.

It shouldn't really be all that much work. It's mainly about adding the back end API calls to support the proctor tools to restrict taking certain final exams unless proctoring is in place and then to the proctor to verify the exam has been completed for credit, etc.

If they add support for proctoring, they don't have to include proctoring fees in the price... it would be up to the test taker to pay for those. This could work the same as when Saylor added support for proctoring to their site, and that didn't add any costs other than the proctor fee.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(05-08-2018, 05:02 PM)clep3705 Wrote: It's easy to get a lot of online courses completed quickly. There are websites where you can hire someone to take your online courses for a fee. That's why I prefer CLEP. The security and proctoring for CLEP makes CLEP credits more credible.

WHAT??? I've been killing myself since October and I could have been unscrupulous and hired someone to do all this work? I've not even hired anyone to write all these stinking papers, let alone take the exams. Apparently I'm far too honest. Sigh.
[-] The following 2 users Like dfsquare's post:
  • MSK9, Muldoon
(05-08-2018, 06:25 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-08-2018, 05:10 PM)davewill Wrote: It shouldn't mess anything up. ultimately. Shmoop may just have to add proctoring.

It shouldn't really be all that much work. It's mainly about adding the back end API calls to support the proctor tools to restrict taking certain final exams unless proctoring is in place and then to the proctor to verify the exam has been completed for credit, etc.

If they add support for proctoring, they don't have to include proctoring fees in the price... it would be up to the test taker to pay for those. This could work the same as when Saylor added support for proctoring to their site, and that didn't add any costs other than the proctor fee.

That would raise the price to at least $25 more per course for the person wanting the courses. If a person wanted to take one class a week at shmoop that would more than double the cost to that student for a month. $100 for the tests and $88 for shmoop subscription. I won't pay that much for their courses. I barely want to pay the monthly subscription due to how annoying they are.

I would venture to guess that their college plan isn't their biggest seller. They offer far more things than the 57 ACE courses. I just don't see them adding proctored test due to just 1 institution. I believe I read somewhere that WGU doesn't accept shmoop courses, they didn't make changes for them. There are over 2000 universities and colleges that Accept ACE. At least that's what every provider says. That's a lot more than what is considered "the big 3" here.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see it. If they do make changes I don't see it happening until their current ACE recommendations are close to expiring.
[-] The following 1 user Likes xjarhead1999's post:
  • mysonx3
(05-08-2018, 07:21 PM)dfsquare Wrote:
(05-08-2018, 05:02 PM)clep3705 Wrote: It's easy to get a lot of online courses completed quickly. There are websites where you can hire someone to take your online courses for a fee. That's why I prefer CLEP. The security and proctoring for CLEP makes CLEP credits more credible.

WHAT??? I've been killing myself since October and I could have been unscrupulous and hired someone to do all this work? I've not even hired anyone to write all these stinking papers, let alone take the exams. Apparently I'm far too honest. Sigh.

Hah, nice! Smile

What's a little academic integrity between friends, eh?

(05-08-2018, 07:22 PM)xjarhead1999 Wrote:
(05-08-2018, 06:25 PM)Merlin Wrote:

That would raise the price to at least $25 more per course for the person wanting the courses. If a person wanted to take one class a week at shmoop that would more than double the cost to that student for a month. $100 for the tests and $88 for shmoop subscription. I won't pay that much for their courses. I barely want to pay the monthly subscription due to how annoying they are.

I would venture to guess that their college plan isn't their biggest seller. They offer far more things than the 57 ACE courses. I just don't see them adding proctored test due to just 1 institution. I believe I read somewhere that WGU doesn't accept shmoop courses, they didn't make changes for them. There are over 2000 universities and colleges that Accept ACE. At least that's what every provider says. That's a lot more than what is considered "the big 3" here.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see it. If they do make changes I don't see it happening until their current ACE recommendations are close to expiring.

Well, $25 more for ProctorU or $15 more for RPNow, but yeah it would add end cost to the test taker. Even at $25 more per course, they're still cheaper than most of the alternatives, particularly if you take several courses during a month.

For folks who don't care about the format and just want specific course credits, I don't think an increased price is bad. I'd probably still pay it because they have several more interesting GenEd courses that aren't available anywhere else. I just wouldn't take as many courses as I'd originally been planning to take.

As for the ACE courses, they seem targeted primarily at high school and homeschool, so I agree that the college courses are probably not their main focus. But if it isn't too expensive to make whatever changes they need to make, I suspect they'd still be willing to do it if it is worth the ROI. It would add to their revenue stream adding proctoring may increase their credibility enough that places like WGU would start accepting their courses.

This is all conjecture anyway. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Yenisei

It's funny, because I really try to keep up on cheating and crime. It never, once, not one time dawned on me that this was possible. I knew you could get papers done, but... where there's a market, there's a provider
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

[-] The following 2 users Like High_Order1's post:
  • Life Long Learning, Muldoon
(05-08-2018, 10:07 PM)High_Order1 Wrote:

It's funny, because I really try to keep up on cheating and crime. It never, once, not one time dawned on me that this was possible. I knew you could get papers done, but... where there's a market, there's a provider

It's unbelievable btw. Probably 25 years ago I used to type papers for people (back when you used a <typewriter> google it kids) and I like to write, so a few years ago I offered to tutor for extra money on Craigslist and I put my name in on a freelance website for writers. My plan was to get some gigs and cash. Nearly every contact from both sources was for me to write an essay or paper for someone - like from scratch, not editing. In addition, I was contacted by someone to write their THESIS (lol yeah right, if I'm writing a thesis, there better be a degree that comes with it) which I found beyond explanation. Anyway, that little side hustle fizzled before it got started. ;(
(05-08-2018, 10:07 PM)High_Order1 Wrote:

It's funny, because I really try to keep up on cheating and crime. It never, once, not one time dawned on me that this was possible. I knew you could get papers done, but...  where there's a market, there's a provider

That never occurred to me either. I guess because most of the classes I'm looking at are proctored, and one would assume it'd be hard to cheat when you have to hold up your ID to take the final.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 374 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 718 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,438 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What happened to all the transfer discounts? harrypotter 2 541 06-14-2023, 09:20 PM
  Current equivalency Sophia courses that will transfer to TESU Mccderm 3 903 01-06-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Mccderm
  SDC Presentation Skills Class NOT transferring to TESU?? ACI 4 720 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ACI
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,206 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
  TESU to medical school? yum2177 9 2,949 11-01-2022, 04:00 PM
Last Post: danger455
  TESU, UMPI, EU, COSC and WGU students reen967 8 1,543 10-01-2022, 09:24 AM
Last Post: reen967
  How long does it take TESU to get the info to update? CHken92 6 1,067 05-21-2022, 03:14 PM
Last Post: CHken92