Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saylor Free Open Textbooks
I was wondering if you can pass a Saylor Exam by just reading the Open Textbook associated with the course

https://www.saylor.org/books/

As I go through the course it seems like some of the sources you read and videos you watch duplicate the info.
Sophia - Environmental Science, Intro to Religion
SUNY - ESC -Educational Planning, Business Ethics UL
NFA - Q-118, Q-137 (no ace credit granted)
FEMA - ICS 100b, ICS 100a, IS-546a
2005 - NYS EMT
2004 A.A.S - Business Admin/Information Tech Jamestown Business College
2003 - NYS Basic Firefighter
[-] The following 1 user Likes professorduck's post:
  • cookderosa
(09-14-2017, 08:22 AM)professorduck Wrote: I was wondering if you can pass a Saylor Exam by just reading the Open Textbook associated with the course

https://www.saylor.org/books/

As I go through the course it seems like some of the sources you read and videos you want duplicate the info.

If you read the whole book, you will pass. But remember that the Saylor course requires you usually to read
only certain parts of the book. You will study some parts that are not required by the exam.
It probably depends on the course. I've just started the Intro to Statistics course, for instance, and it uses parts of several different textbooks. It could be a little confusing to figure out which information it's drawing from where without actually working your way through the course.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
That was certainly true of Sociology. However, Env Ethics didn't draw from a single text, the material was completely scattered across the web.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I have taken MicroEconomics, MacroEconomics, and Introduction to Business on Saylor and the free textbooks listed at Saylor were most helpful. I also used audio books from Audible to take advantage of my 1 hour commute. The most helpful audio books were the Great Courses, and Vango. Audible has a $14 a month subscription that saved me quite a bit of money. For example the Great Course Economics by Tim Taylor is listed as $39.95, but using my monthly $14 credit, it was $14.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bernieyeater's post:
  • rvm
Disclosure: I'm on Saylor staff.

Echoing the above, it really depends on the course; some courses have many different materials, while others rely on just a few consistent resources. For each course, there is a "resources" link that can give you a good sense of what to expect.

Use the regular (non-credit) exam early and often (up to once every 7 days) for practice and to guide your study. We also have a kind of hidden search page (saylor.org/search) that can make it much easier to track down information that browsing through a course.

Understand that, historically, we've been about the course experience. What that means is that the best preparation for the exam is the course and its particular materials/sequence. But if you learn how to mine the course and resources, you can move more quickly through. This is our official take: https://sayloracademy.zendesk.com/hc/en-...inal-Exams

https://sayloracademy.zendesk.com/hc/en-...inal-Exams

Sean
Saylor Academy
[-] The following 3 users Like sylr's post:
  • davewill, Muldoon, Yenisei

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 8 691 04-23-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 441 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 347 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 717 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,584 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Saylor BIO101 Notes Request axelblaze77 5 578 08-24-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Google has released 10 free courses to master AI LevelUP 2 1,051 08-12-2023, 03:41 PM
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,406 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Saylor Vent Lima845 4 888 06-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Saylor Academy is very slow Leo Wu 2 1,189 06-11-2023, 08:10 PM