Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop -- maximizing subscription
If you have a Shmoop subscription, about how many courses do you generally find you can take in a month?
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
It depends so much on the hours you can put in, your prior knowledge, your test taking skills, and your ability to adapt to Shmoop's unusual question style, etc.

Someone here did about 1 Lit course per day, and did all of them. But they had previous knowledge of the books mostly. I feel the Lit courses have such convoluted questions and I'm not sure I can pass some of them at all.

Today someone said they did a history course in half a day.

If someone is good at math, ALEKS is better for that.

Ideas Wrote:It depends so much on the hours you can put in, your prior knowledge, your test taking skills, and your ability to adapt to Shmoop's unusual question style, etc.

Someone here did about 1 Lit course per day, and did all of them. But they had previous knowledge of the books mostly. I feel the Lit courses have such convoluted questions and I'm not sure I can pass some of them at all.

Today someone said they did a history course in half a day.

If someone is good at math, ALEKS is better for that.

You beat me to it! I was just going to say the same thing... as Shmoop is great for English Lit/History and even a couple of Math courses...
Their system is very hard to pass as they reword everything in a funky way, it's not similar to traditional testing as they "make fun" of it...
When I was using Shmoop, wasn't truly learning, was more like looking at things in their point of view - they're too "Shmooped" for me.
The only thing going for them are the easy credits at a cheap cost... the main thing actually is the speed and non use of proctors.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
At first I was planning on doing lots at Shmoop in a month, but after the first week, it was like, wow I don't want to do much of this.

There's a lot of threads about how people are failing or nearly failing. Some of them had a lot of previous knowledge, but you can't apply that knowledge to some questions because of the convoluted questions. Also Shmoop has some broken links.

But some of the courses are worth it, if someone needs to save money or if procotoring is hard for them for some reason.

It should be comfortably doable to take two Lit classes in a month, right? (I'm looking at Bible as Literature and Literature in the Media.)
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
a2jc4life Wrote:It should be comfortably doable to take two Lit classes in a month, right? (I'm looking at Bible as Literature and Literature in the Media.)

I think most people could manage it.

BTW, I felt the first units of Bible as Lit were easier. So was I was kind of surprised when the others became harder. Or maybe that's because I was more rested when I did the first two.

a2jc4life Wrote:It should be comfortably doable to take two Lit classes in a month, right? (I'm looking at Bible as Literature and Literature in the Media.)
You should be able to get through those courses ok in a month.

I managed 10 courses in one month, but already knew quite a lot of the material and it was a push to do it. I think I put around 120 hours in. Euro history and Brit lit took me the longest because the courses are much longer than the others.

Use the summaries to help, they can be found here: Literature Learning Guides & Teacher Resources and Poetry
Each summary has section about the characters, themes, and an analysis of symbolism etc
Many questions are related to the actual reading but others will come from these summary sections. Have the summary open when you take a quiz or test.
TESU: Capstone completed Big Grin
Study.com: Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction (6)
Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++,  Religion (27)
TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
Sophia: Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Comm, Dev Teams  (13)
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators (2)
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences (3)
ACTFL: Reading Proficiency Test (6)
CPCU: Ethics (2)
socsci Wrote:You should be able to get through those courses ok in a month.

I managed 10 courses in one month, but already knew quite a lot of the material and it was a push to do it. I think I put around 120 hours in. Euro history and Brit lit took me the longest because the courses are much longer than the others.

Use the summaries to help, they can be found here: Literature Learning Guides & Teacher Resources and Poetry
Each summary has section about the characters, themes, and an analysis of symbolism etc
Many questions are related to the actual reading but others will come from these summary sections. Have the summary open when you take a quiz or test.

Hey Socsci, (or anyone who has done many Shmoop courses).
Just wondering, has anyone signed up for their "cheaper" subscription and then completed almost all their courses,
then upgraded to the "more expensive" subscription to get the college credit?.

I was on their cheaper subscription and was grandfathered into their cheaper subscription for a couple months.
But I cancelled the subscription as at that time when I was complete, there were only 3 history courses that had credit.
There wasn't anything else there I needed but the 3 history courses, the others had no credit for taking them.

Now they've got Math/English Lit and I would like to use them for "alternative" credit for the second degree.
Decisions, Decisions... I hope they will allow a cheap subscription to get everything done (almost)
and end with a more expensive subscription to get the credit.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I never thought of trying that with the subscription, but it does sound as though it might work.
I just set my goal of trying to get the upper level lit courses done in one month and anything else was an extra. Turned out I managed to get more done than I thought. I was pretty brain dead after the month though and needed to rest a week after Tongue
TESU: Capstone completed Big Grin
Study.com: Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction (6)
Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++,  Religion (27)
TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
Sophia: Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Comm, Dev Teams  (13)
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators (2)
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences (3)
ACTFL: Reading Proficiency Test (6)
CPCU: Ethics (2)
Overall, Shmoop Courses are manageable, the quicker you can adapt to the question style the easier time you will have. I took the three history courses (all they had ACE approved when I did it) Took me three weeks for the three history courses and that was with an hour or so each day (average). There is no harm in trying it, you can be someone who picks up Shmoop and runs with it or only manages one course. As long as you manage to complete one course that's 3 credits for a decent price.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com transcript - do you need an active subscription? Kones 12 1,015 10-17-2023, 11:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information Free 6 Month Subscription to Coursera Google, Facebook, & IBM, It Certs Experience LevelUP 22 4,523 11-22-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: scottlefoll
  Labster subscription acethroughcollege 0 604 03-01-2022, 12:55 PM
Last Post: acethroughcollege
  Sophia.com - Possible to submit touchstones after subscription? studyingfortests 3 2,724 10-16-2021, 11:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,447 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Study.com Submit Papers without Subscription zilla 4 1,095 11-21-2020, 06:25 PM
Last Post: zilla
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,844 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop ACE Plan Changes? Tedium 80 7,966 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Shmoop outside the Big 3 wow 9 1,545 08-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: wow
  Maximizing Sophia courses at COSC dfrecore 47 9,152 07-24-2020, 01:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore