Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop proctoring
Got this email from Shmoop today:

Quote:Thanks for reaching out! We have continued to work with TESU but unfortunately don't have an update on their status at this time. That said, we do have an update about Shmoop that we're excited to share with you!

Tomorrow (Friday) we will be introducing live proctored tests in our ACE CREDIT recommended courses. All Final Exams will require proctoring beginning tomorrow night/Saturday morning. We're excited to offer our College Plus students this upgraded security feature—and to continue providing you with top-notch, self-paced college courses. The online proctoring allows us to continue offering students courses that are completely self-paced (there will not be any time restrictions on when your final exam can be taken, so it's still entirely up to what works best with your schedule!)

The cost of Shmoop's College Plus subscription will not change, and each final's proctoring session will be just $23. 

You can learn more about this new proctoring system here: https://www.proctoru.com/resources/test-takers/live/

By offering online proctoring to our college courses, we aim to expand the opportunities that students have to receive transfer credit for their Shmoop courses. Many schools are now requiring increased security measures like this in order to accept credit recommendations from providers at all, so by introducing the proctored element we anticipate that students will have a longer list of schools that accept their coursework from Shmoop! We're hopeful that this added security will help TESU come to the decision to reinstate accepting Shmoop's courses, but ultimately the decision is still theirs to make. 

Thanks,
Team Shmoop
Shmoop Help
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • teacher2
Wow, that was quick.

I imagine that for providers like ALEKS, TEEX, NFA, etc. where there are a very small number of credits that are offered, they won't do proctoring. But for Shmoop, it makes sense to require it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
We finished shmoop last week. Would not have made a difference, since we took all exams closed book, but saved us some money. How many of you will scramble today to finish a course or two?
(06-29-2018, 07:06 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: We finished shmoop last week. Would not have made a difference, since we took all exams closed book, but saved us some money. How many of you will scramble today to finish a course or two?

Saved money, but not able to transfer non-proctored courses to TESU.  So it just depends on where you want to go as to whether the savings was a good plan or not.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I am curious to see what the pass rate looks like for shmoop once the proctoring is in place...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johmford's post:
  • teacher2
We changed plans from TESU to COSC for a number of reasons, shmoop being only one of them.
I think it's pretty messed up that shmoop had nothing on their website about the proctoring and fee up until they implemented it.
As of yesterday morning, their site still advertised as the $88 a month for the college plan. All you had to do was score 70% on unit test and final. That's all. That's exactly what the website said. Then at some point yesterday they started the proctoring thing.
So someone who signed up as late as yesterday went in thinking that they could try and knock out as many credits as they can for $88. Even if they just wanted to take 4 courses they are now having to pay more than double the price they were told.
The right thing for Shmoop to do is either make all current subscriptions where the proctored final is optional or explain to everyone and offer a pro-rated refund.
Giving no warning whatsoever is shady business practices.
[-] The following 1 user Likes xjarhead1999's post:
  • a2jc4life
I agree with you. Signing up for a monthly subscription and then having the conditions changed on you within hours or days is not just annoying, it is shady.
Hopefully with proctored finals TESU will change their mind. Wish they would have gone with Study.com's proctor instead of ProctorU.....Headache coming on!
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

Well, Shady implies they are trying to mislead or take advantage of people. I don't think that is the case here. If anything it shows a lack of foresight and comes across as a bit unprofessional, but I don't see how it can be interpreted as Shady. It isn't like this is a ploy to make more money... it is a reaction to the TESU (and WGU) ban and a gamble that adding proctored final exams will encourage TESU, WGU, and other universities to accept their credits. 

Given these guys probably don't make much profit off their college credit program, I'm pretty surprised they managed to get this done so quickly. Obviously, with two of the biggest alternate credit schools not accepting their credits, they felt it important to cut some corners to get it done ASAP to ensure they didn't lose future business.

People on this forum knew it was coming, but I agree that they should have posted a notice saying that they were in progress of implementing proctored final exams for the college credit-bearing courses for those who aren't in the know. Personally, I think they should have had it officially start July 1st, made an announcement last month giving students the option to "beta test" the proctoring feature during June. Both as a means to ensure the system is working properly and to more gently introduce it to their customers. But unfortunately, they did not.

If you're really that upset, you can always contact them and ask for a refund or free month or some other kind of accommodation.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • davewill

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coopersmith proctoring rachel83az 23 3,897 08-06-2023, 07:54 AM
Last Post: shaas
  Online proctoring and Linux? mahaganapati 4 1,255 02-20-2022, 07:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,448 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,844 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop ACE Plan Changes? Tedium 80 7,966 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Flash, RPNow / PSI, & Proctoring rachel83az 0 692 08-18-2020, 08:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Shmoop outside the Big 3 wow 9 1,545 08-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: wow
  Shmoop Credits? asianphd 59 11,187 02-27-2020, 09:00 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Free Exam Proctoring dharmastudios 2 1,327 12-11-2019, 04:41 PM
Last Post: dharmastudios
  Shmoop: New Look eriehiker 6 2,134 11-27-2019, 03:16 PM