Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alt Credit Accounting w/o HS Diploma / GED
So what is exactly your friend trying to accomplish? Does she need a basic accounting certificate or does she want four year Accounting degree. If she just wants to learn Accounting she can watch Professor Farhat's videos and buy the book that he uses. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOYjmNf...gihxwSSReA
This is the same sort of instruction that I got when I took my basic Accounting classes. Matter of fact I found Youtube very helpful on top of my Financial Accounting class.
I was having hard time grasping the concepts and watching youtube videos really helped. I got an A in both Financial and Managerial Accounting.
If she wants to challenge herself and see how well she did then take the CLEP or one of the courses.
I'm about to take Intermediate Accounting through TESU. I've been reading the book and I'm about to watch Professor Farhat's lessons to get me ready.
Learning the Basics of Accounting is not hard but if you want an accredited degree or certificate then things are a bit different.
(08-27-2019, 09:56 PM)tesu-acct-student Wrote: "Right now she really needs to learn accounting for professional reasons..."

It's not clear to me what you mean here. Does she need a degree, or does she just need specialized knowledge? Would a QuickBooks certification be helpful for her? I'm sure it could be obtained without a HS diploma/GED.

She needs to learn accounting because she is involved with a non-profit at a administrative/management level that needs accounting help. However, she plans to eventually pursue a degree where accounting would be required anyhow. So it makes the most sense to kill two birds with one stone by finding a place where she can learn accounting and still earn the credits... otherwise she may have to still take an accounting course in the future.

I still have not heard from anyone who knows for sure where people without GEDs/HS diplomas can earn accounting credits free/cheap through alternative credit providers. What about Modern States? Do they require GEDs/HS diplomas? Meanwhile, I have been in contact with some colleges regarding getting her signed up to finish high school with dual enrollment. Apparently the system requires a 3:1 ratio of college to high school credits and the state pays for the college courses while the public school system pays for the college books plus $100 out of pocket for online courses. Unless we find an alternative credit provider for her then this might be the way she'll need to go.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
Neither Modern States nor my CLEP/DSST testing center ever asked about a HS diploma.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(08-29-2019, 11:44 AM)quigongene Wrote: Neither Modern States nor my CLEP/DSST testing center ever asked about a HS diploma.

Perfect, thank you! Probably will go with Modern States then and she can just take the CLEP.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
Apologies, if I was not clear before - you do not need a HS Diploma or GED to use Study.com.  She can still earn ACE college credit with them while learning the basics of accounting
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • SweetSecret

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 465 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 4,355 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Managerial Accounting Sophia faptaincrunch 2 423 02-03-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  3 Additional Google Certificates Approved for ACE Credit MNomadic 8 1,078 02-02-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: lynnii2
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 315 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Sophia Credit Transfer StudyKing21 1 573 01-19-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 711 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 854 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
  Study.com: Upcoming Changes to Credit-Granting Courses inf 28 3,867 09-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,566 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader