Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I change my degree program?
I have been trying to study for the Physics & Calculus exams I plan to take, but I am overwhelmed. Sad
I have never had a course in either of these. I just don't know If I can get these concepts into my old brain in a reasonable timeperiod, or if it is worth it.Rolleyes
I could try to find other sciece courses to fill out my Math/science degree plan or I could just go for the Liberal arts.

Am I crazy to put myself through all this when I don't know what I want to do with my degree when I do get it?:o
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:I have been trying to study for the Physics & Calculus exams I plan to take, but I am overwhelmed. Sad
I have never had a course in either of these. I just don't know If I can get these concepts into my old brain in a reasonable timeperiod, or if it is worth it.Rolleyes
I could try to find other sciece courses to fill out my Math/science degree plan or I could just go for the Liberal arts.

Am I crazy to put myself through all this when I don't know what I want to do with my degree when I do get it?:o

Well--I can't really comment on your last question, but, generally speaking, I believe math to be the most challenging subject to teach yourself--particularly if you are far removed from your last formal training and perhaps it was never a strong subject to begin with. You may be needlessly torturing yourself by trying to teach yourself as opposed to taking it as a course on-line somewhere. I think anyone could probably teach themselves something like Cultural Diversity--but for advanced math courses you really need to understand the fundamentals taught in algebra, trig, etc. Without that, you are really making it hard on yourself.
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
Quote:I just don't know If I can get these concepts into my old brain in a reasonable timeperiod, or if it is worth it.

I think that is the real question. Can you do it? I'm sure you can. Do you want to spend a year doing it? My son struggled with Calculus and Analytical Geometry for about a year (LSU course). He told me that Calculus at that level requires familiarity with about 100 different rules/variables.

Now that he has moved on, he is once again enjoying school.

To me it wouldn't be worth it. There are too many really interesting Masters degrees available that don't require a specific BA. I would explore other combinations of courses for that degree, or explore some other options.

You have acquired the wisdom in life to know what battles to pick. You have plenty of time to revisit Calculus later in life if you are so inclined. Don't let it slow you down.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Lindagerr Wrote:I have been trying to study for the Physics & Calculus exams I plan to take, but I am overwhelmed. Sad

>>

[SIZE="6"]LINDA!!!!![/SIZE]
Now, that's just crazy talk!! You have a ton of experience an ability in the science field. This is YOUR DEGREE. You can do it, you just have to buckle down. You remember the trouble I had with biology- I nearly let that kick my butt. Now, after all your credit, your not going to let these two classes kick your butt. No liberal arts for you missy.
Now, I don't know if the physics is algebra or calculus based, but if it is calculus based, you can watch The Mechanical Universe and Beyond The Mechanical Universe at Teacher Professional Development and Teacher Resources by Annenberg Media for free. Those will be helpful. Also, the young whippersnapper Farmer boy is doing calculus right now- and self-teaching. You can do it. (love ya' Farmer boy)
Now, take a deep breath. You had a nice break and it's a little hard to get it back into gear, but slow and steady wins this race. Wink

>>

[SIZE="6"]LINDA!!!!![/SIZE]
Now, that's just crazy talk!! You have a ton of experience an ability in the science field. This is YOUR DEGREE, you know you would feel much better with the Natural Science concentration. You can do it, you just have to buckle down. You remember the trouble I had with biology- I nearly let that kick my butt. Good thing I didn't right!?!? If there is something else you can sub out, then maybe that's an idea worth considering. But don't get ahead of yourself.

No liberal arts for you missy.

The young whippersnapper Farmer boy is doing calculus right now- and self-teaching. You can do it. (love ya' Farmer boy) Maybe you should take it as a class- there isn't anything wrong with a "class" even though around here it's a bit of a four-letter word sometimes. I took a lot of classes and enjoyed most of them. Also, I don't know if the physics is algebra or calculus based, but if it is calculus based, you can watch The Mechanical Universe and Beyond The Mechanical Universe at Teacher Professional Development and Teacher Resources by Annenberg Media for free.
Those will be helpful I think.

Now, take a deep breath. You had a nice break and it's a little hard to get it back into gear, but slow and steady wins THIS race. Wink
I guess I am feeling a little overwhwelmed and you all had some good ideas. I need to get on with my studies for now and leave the physics/calculus for later. I was rushing things because I wanted to get in on the free Uexcel exams. Now I realize it is not worth throwing off my whole plan so I can save a couple hundred bucks. I will either take them as a class, learn it in a less stressful self taught slow timeline or look into what other science /math courses i can take. I could just take a couple of CC science courses.
Thank you all for the support and ideas
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:I guess I am feeling a little overwhwelmed and you all had some good ideas. I need to get on with my studies for now and leave the physics/calculus for later. I was rushing things because I wanted to get in on the free Uexcel exams. Now I realize it is not worth throwing off my whole plan so I can save a couple hundred bucks. I will either take them as a class, learn it in a less stressful self taught slow timeline or look into what other science /math courses i can take. I could just take a couple of CC science courses.
Thank you all for the support and ideas

I have to say that your honest balanced approach is very inspirational! Thank you for being open about it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,196 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,854 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question TESU - current status "Applicant" - how to change to "Enrolled?" Kelly Green 3 2,040 09-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,339 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,671 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,854 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,772 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,996 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,959 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,321 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627