Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I choose the Straighterline CompTIA or MTA networking course?
Straighterline has two courses for networking, the CompTIA and the MTA Networking exams. Which one of these would be easier to complete? 
https://www.straighterline.com/online-co...002-b.html
https://www.straighterline.com/online-co...001-b.html
Also, in the MTA Networking course, there is 25 grade points based on "Certification Attempt Submission". What is this score based on, does it have to do with the final exam?
Heads up: the entire Microsoft technology associate certification program was recently discontinued. Related resources for the MTA exams are quickly becoming stale or disappearing.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
I am only trying to do this course for college credit, I am not really interested in the certification. Would you still advise against it? I saw somewhere on straighterline that said that the MTA course was geared more towards beginners, so that it would seem like it would be easier.
If the MTA was discontinued, would that mean that it isn't possible to take the final exam for the course?
<flip a coin> I pick this... either course will do, they have more than one option for MTA, if I recall, they have 2 or 3. Chose the one you think is geared for something you're looking to learn. Or something that's more interesting to you... this is only available for free elective credit, it's not for general education or area of study.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Will the CompTIA Network+ course be difficult for me when I don't have any prior networking experience or knowledge? This is what it says on the straighterline link for the network+ course:
"It is recommended, but not required, that students have their CompTIA A+ Certification and at least 9 to 12 months of networking experience before attempting their CompTIA A+ certification. For students looking for an entry-level certification, our ​Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) certification training courses​ may be a better fit"
Neither of those courses are worth college credit; you have to take the exam(s) and then choose a school that will give credit for the exam(s).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-27-2021, 07:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Neither of those courses are worth college credit; you have to take the exam(s) and then choose a school that will give credit for the exam(s).

Are you sure? On the ace website it says that the course is college credit. And WGU accepts either of the two courses for credit transfer.
https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pa...65f38bf0e1
The MTA one is recommended for 2 credits via ACE whereas the CompTIA one is recommended for 3 credits via ACE.

Are you planning to transfer them to WGU? If so, which degree? If your degree requires the Network+, then I would take whichever one better prepares you for your future course work.

The MTA cert is easier than CompTIA network+ so I would *guess* that the SL course for MTA is easier.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • sanantone
To be clear - is everyone talking about ACE credit for this course, or credit for the associated certifications?
The MTA exam program is done. It is no longer possible to buy a voucher for that cert. You can't take the MTA exam and earn credit unless you've already acquired an exam ticket or voucher. Sales ended at the end of June. The CompTIA Network+ cert doesn't have a recent ACE review, but is accepted by some schools directly.
From the ACE database, these straighterline courses themselves do still have ACE endorsements for the next year. It's kind of a weird setup - one could presumably earn credit for both the prep course and the certifications themselves at the right school. However the credits would likely duplicate.
I don't really recommend studying for a "dead" certification. Material gets dated very fast in the tech space. Additionally, the MTA networking course is worth only two credits instead of the standard three.
Back when I took the MTA networking fundamentals exam almost a decade ago, I found it to be comically easy. Things may have changed since then.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • MNomadic
For those curious, these are the ACE listings for the courses.

https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pa...0d3a33232a

https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pa...0d3a378a3a

As mentioned, the MTA certification is discontinued "This MTA certification will be retired on June 30, 2022. Voucher sales for the associated exam ended on June 30, 2021. Use the “Schedule with Pearson VUE” or “Schedule with Certiport” buttons below to redeem a purchased voucher and schedule your exam. Refer to the FAQ for more details."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/c...damentals/

So if the SL course requires you to take that cert, you're out of luck and they should correct their grading criteria. edit: though you could still pass without those 25 points(2.5% of your total grade), it's just less than ideal.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 521 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 173 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,331 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 328 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 311 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 707 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 433 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 628 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,165 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com vs. StraighterLine bjcheung77 2 1,086 03-23-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: jsh1138