Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I get the COSC associates degree along the way?
I am kinda wrestling with an idea, by December I should be complete with my remaining math credit that I need for my degree plan (BS), I should also have all the other requirements for my bachelors degree done for the exception of the Capstone course which I will take in the spring, so I can graduate by June.

The question is, since everything for the Associates degree is complete, should I get it too along the way? If I was to do that option, could that have any adverse effects on my taking the bachelors degree capstone in the spring? or in some way effect my planned graduation date?

And really, is it even worth it? What do y'all think?
Air University - Air Command and Staff College - In Progress

Bachelor of Science - Charter Oak State College - 3.9 GPA (based on 133 graded credits)

Paramedic Medicine - Austin Community College

Law Enforcement Technology - Rio Salado College
DrJohn Wrote:I am kinda wrestling with an idea, by December I should be complete with my remaining math credit that I need for my degree plan (BS), I should also have all the other requirements for my bachelors degree done for the exception of the Capstone course which I will take in the spring, so I can graduate by June.

The question is, since everything for the Associates degree is complete, should I get it too along the way? If I was to do that option, could that have any adverse effects on my taking the bachelors degree capstone in the spring? or in some way effect my planned graduation date?

And really, is it even worth it? What do y'all think?

I did this at TESC. I completed my AA one semester before my BA (because I'd saved science for last, and I needed it as my last requirement for both). For *me, I did it because I had an AOS degree that didn't transfer, and I felt some amount of pride in earning a full NEW 120 credit degree. I know it's petty, but for many associate degree holders, they complete their second 60. I felt that since I'd completed my first requirements AND THEN a new 120, I wanted something to show for it. Now, ironically, I don't even have it on my resume! After I did it, having a graduation date of only 3 months later, I decided that it looked suspicious, and left it off. I don't want the casual observer to question the legitimacy of my bachelor's degree (even though both are 100% accredited and legit!), but I felt that for *me, it looked better to leave it off and I wouldn't have any explaining to do. In the end, it cost me $400 (grad fee) and even though I don't use it, I like that I have it.
There is no adverse effect to getting it. At COSC it only costs the $200 graduation fee.

It's low hanging fruit, I would grab it. God forbid something happens in your life and the Bachelor's gets delayed, at least you would have the AA.

Though, of course, in and of itself an AA is nearly useless when looking for employment (it may help with advancement though).
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,926 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,155 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,620 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,672 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,941 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM