Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Journey: BA in Psychology in 12 months, for under $8000
Hello, everyone!

In short: Three days ago, I completed a BA in Psychology at TESU. It took me exactly 12 months to earn the 120 credit hours required, and I was able to do so by spending only $7650.

How did I do this?

Like many of you, I have been a “lurker” for quite some time. This forum and its members proved to be invaluable to the planning of my (expedited) degree path. At this point I would like to just say: Thank you! I did decide to create an account in the end to share my story, in hopes that someone else out there, who is at an earlier stage of their degree journey, may find some value or motivation in my experience.

The full story: I spent the first two decades of my life in Germany, however after graduating the equivalent to high school, rather than taking advantage of free tuition, I decided to move to the U.S. School had been torture for me, and the idea of committing another four years of my life to college did not seem enticing at the time. Instead, I wanted to work full-time and make some money! After several years of living in the States, I ended up moving to Canada, where I started my career in the corporate world. It was 2013, after having been promoted several times, that I realized that in order to climb up the career latter past middle management, I would need at least a bachelor’s degree. Not wanting to commit to going back to school full-time, I stumbled upon an online forum (it may have been this one), while looking for a creative solution on how to earn college credit while continuing to work. That was the first time I was introduced to CLEP testing. While it caught my attention (I even contacted a local testing center), I never really did anything with it.

Fast forward to 2020, I had returned to the U.S. from Canada and decided to launch my own consulting business, wanting to utilize the experience I had gained in corporate Canada. The timing could not have been any worse, with the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent lockdown coming in (to borrow from Miley Cyrus) “like a wrecking ball” in March/April. It wasn’t, however, until December that I toyed again with the idea of finally pursuing a degree. I remembered CLEP and so I began my online search, quickly finding myself in the depths of this forum. A member had shared a post about an expiring promotion for Sophia.org ($149 for 12 months instead of $79/month), and on December 31st, 2020 - I didn’t want to miss out on a good deal - I decided to sign-up. The worst case, I thought, was that I would be taking a couple of interesting courses for cheap. At that point, I had no idea what it would take to get a degree, from what school, and how transfer credits work. Compared to now, I knew absolutely nothing that day!

It only took me two or three hours of reading through wikis and discussion posts on this forum to get a rough idea of what credit hours are, how many I needed for a BA, what alternative credits are and how they can be transferred to certain schools, etc. Over the years I had developed a keen interest in the field of psychology, which also happens to overlap with my professional experience and what I want to do going forward, so it did not take me long to decide on my major. So on New Year’s Eve, just hours before the ball drop, I applied for admission at TESU. Once accepted, a week later, I familiarized myself with the academic evaluation tool and started planning my path.

Around the same time, another member of this forum had shared a post about how to use LTI (Language Testing International) to get credits for knowledge of a foreign language. This advice was gold! For $320 I was able to obtain 45 credits by taking all four tests with them (writing, speaking, reading, and listening). While they were not easy, it was certainly a great way to get a head start. German being my first language, I was able to achieve the highest score in all four of them. Another 3 credits came from the German language CLEP test.

For the remaining 72 credits required to graduate, I worked my way backwards: I knew I did not want to waste ~$3200 on paying the TESU residency waiver, especially given that the two mandatory classes would cost me over $3000 additionally, when the flat-rate tuition plan allowed me to earn 16 RA credits in one semester for ~$4600. In addition to SOS-110 and LIB-495, I chose PLA-100, PSY-322, and PSY-379 (6 credit course). Initially, I had planned on getting those out of the way early on, however then I realized that TESU requires students to have a minimum of 100 credits applied to their academic evaluation before permitting the registration of the capstone course (later in the year, I was at 99, and even the dean wouldn’t approve it, causing me to delay my journey by one month).

Once I knew I was going to eventually obtain 16 RA credits from TESU, I looked at options on how to satisfy the remaining RA credit requirement, and I ended up deciding on ASU for ENG-101, ENG-102, and SOC-101 (sociology), at $425/class, as well as two TECEPs ($150 each): CIS-107 (based on a suggestion by a member of this forum), and MAT-105 (initially I was going through ASU’s college algebra course, but given that math has always been my weakest subject, I eventually decided on the TECEP instead).

Now that I had all of my RA credits planned out, it was time to complete my general education requirements: I took one more CLEP test (American Government via ModernStates; I like what they’ve set out to do, but I honestly can’t say I really enjoyed the course), and two on onlinedegree.com: Microeconomics (I would not recommend), and Environmental Science, which I thoroughly enjoyed (again based on a post in this forum, I knew that it would transfer to TESU separately from Sophia’s ES course, which I also took). The remainder of the credits required I took through Sophia, until it was time to start taking Psychology-specific courses (including upper level), which I decided to use Study.com for. I ended up paying for five months, plus one extra exam.

Given the written-in-stone requirement of 100 credits before a student is allowed to enroll in LIB-495, I ended up taking my final semester at the end of my degree journey, starting with the October term. To save money, I purchased one of the textbooks I needed used from B&N, and rented the other from Amazon. Cramming 16 credits into 12 weeks seemed like a lot, but it’s certainly doable. While the first two weeks were probably the most stressful (besides racing to finish the capstone in the end, between Christmas and New Year’s), the workload ended up becoming more manageable once the semester was underway. I finished the term with a 4.0 GPA. Submitting my final project after more or less exactly one year was a strange, surreal experience. Now I look forward to graduating in March, and you will see me in Trenton, New Jersey for the commencement ceremony in September!

To anyone out there who is thinking about getting their degree, and to those who are already working towards this important milestone, my advice would be this: Take the time to plan and understand your entire journey ahead of time; everything you need to know can be found by digging through this forum. I never once chatted with anybody at TESU. Once you have a solid plan, work your way backwards and fill in the blanks, think about how and where you will be fulfilling each requirement. Once you’ve got a plan of attack, it all comes down to relentless execution. Some courses will be more challenging than others, some you will want to soak up all the knowledge from, and others will require all of your energy to get through. Whenever I felt stuck, rather than crawling under a blanket and not doing anything at all, I always thought about the next smallest, possible step toward my degree I could take. Sometimes that was opening up a new word document and writing down the title of the paper I had to write, other times it came down to watching a short video clip. However small of a step it may be, just putting one foot in front of the other can help you build momentum and get unstuck. Once the task is completed, pat yourself on the back and relish in the fact that you will never have to do it again ;-)

Please feel free to ask any questions below!

Wishing all of you a very happy 2022,

Danny
[-] The following 16 users Like DannyFL's post:
  • BigBird, carrythenothing, davewill, dfrecore, FastTrackDegree, Flelm, jch, jsd, kt320, LevelUP, P226mem, rachel83az, schlocker, ss20ts, TwinMom, withrown
Congratulations on your new degree! What an incredible journey.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Welcome to the TESU 4.0 GPA club! 

Your name will be on the president's list published on the TESU website, along with all other students who received a perfect 4.0 GPA. So within a couple of weeks, you should get an email about this.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/achievements
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • kt320
(01-05-2022, 08:33 PM)DannyFL Wrote: Hello, everyone!

In short: Three days ago, I completed a BA in Psychology at TESU. It took me exactly 12 months to earn the 120 credit hours required, and I was able to do so by spending only $7650.

How did I do this?

Like many of you, I have been a “lurker” for quite some time. This forum and its members proved to be invaluable to the planning of my (expedited) degree path. At this point I would like to just say: Thank you! I did decide to create an account in the end to share my story, in hopes that someone else out there, who is at an earlier stage of their degree journey, may find some value or motivation in my experience.

The full story: I spent the first two decades of my life in Germany, however after graduating the equivalent to high school, rather than taking advantage of free tuition, I decided to move to the U.S. School had been torture for me, and the idea of committing another four years of my life to college did not seem enticing at the time. Instead, I wanted to work full-time and make some money! After several years of living in the States, I ended up moving to Canada, where I started my career in the corporate world. It was 2013, after having been promoted several times, that I realized that in order to climb up the career latter past middle management, I would need at least a bachelor’s degree. Not wanting to commit to going back to school full-time, I stumbled upon an online forum (it may have been this one), while looking for a creative solution on how to earn college credit while continuing to work. That was the first time I was introduced to CLEP testing. While it caught my attention (I even contacted a local testing center), I never really did anything with it.

Fast forward to 2020, I had returned to the U.S. from Canada and decided to launch my own consulting business, wanting to utilize the experience I had gained in corporate Canada. The timing could not have been any worse, with the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent lockdown coming in (to borrow from Miley Cyrus) “like a wrecking ball” in March/April. It wasn’t, however, until December that I toyed again with the idea of finally pursuing a degree. I remembered CLEP and so I began my online search, quickly finding myself in the depths of this forum. A member had shared a post about an expiring promotion for Sophia.org ($149 for 12 months instead of $79/month), and on December 31st, 2020 - I didn’t want to miss out on a good deal - I decided to sign-up. The worst case, I thought, was that I would be taking a couple of interesting courses for cheap. At that point, I had no idea what it would take to get a degree, from what school, and how transfer credits work. Compared to now, I knew absolutely nothing that day!

It only took me two or three hours of reading through wikis and discussion posts on this forum to get a rough idea of what credit hours are, how many I needed for a BA, what alternative credits are and how they can be transferred to certain schools, etc. Over the years I had developed a keen interest in the field of psychology, which also happens to overlap with my professional experience and what I want to do going forward, so it did not take me long to decide on my major. So on New Year’s Eve, just hours before the ball drop, I applied for admission at TESU. Once accepted, a week later, I familiarized myself with the academic evaluation tool and started planning my path.

Around the same time, another member of this forum had shared a post about how to use LTI (Language Testing International) to get credits for knowledge of a foreign language. This advice was gold! For $320 I was able to obtain 45 credits by taking all four tests with them (writing, speaking, reading, and listening). While they were not easy, it was certainly a great way to get a head start. German being my first language, I was able to achieve the highest score in all four of them. Another 3 credits came from the German language CLEP test.

For the remaining 72 credits required to graduate, I worked my way backwards: I knew I did not want to waste ~$3200 on paying the TESU residency waiver, especially given that the two mandatory classes would cost me over $3000 additionally, when the flat-rate tuition plan allowed me to earn 16 RA credits in one semester for ~$4600. In addition to SOS-110 and LIB-495, I chose PLA-100, PSY-322, and PSY-379 (6 credit course). Initially, I had planned on getting those out of the way early on, however then I realized that TESU requires students to have a minimum of 100 credits applied to their academic evaluation before permitting the registration of the capstone course (later in the year, I was at 99, and even the dean wouldn’t approve it, causing me to delay my journey by one month).

Once I knew I was going to eventually obtain 16 RA credits from TESU, I looked at options on how to satisfy the remaining RA credit requirement, and I ended up deciding on ASU for ENG-101, ENG-102, and SOC-101 (sociology), at $425/class, as well as two TECEPs ($150 each): CIS-107 (based on a suggestion by a member of this forum), and MAT-105 (initially I was going through ASU’s college algebra course, but given that math has always been my weakest subject, I eventually decided on the TECEP instead).

Now that I had all of my RA credits planned out, it was time to complete my general education requirements: I took one more CLEP test (American Government via ModernStates; I like what they’ve set out to do, but I honestly can’t say I really enjoyed the course), and two on onlinedegree.com: Microeconomics (I would not recommend), and Environmental Science, which I thoroughly enjoyed (again based on a post in this forum, I knew that it would transfer to TESU separately from Sophia’s ES course, which I also took). The remainder of the credits required I took through Sophia, until it was time to start taking Psychology-specific courses (including upper level), which I decided to use Study.com for. I ended up paying for five months, plus one extra exam.

Given the written-in-stone requirement of 100 credits before a student is allowed to enroll in LIB-495, I ended up taking my final semester at the end of my degree journey, starting with the October term. To save money, I purchased one of the textbooks I needed used from B&N, and rented the other from Amazon. Cramming 16 credits into 12 weeks seemed like a lot, but it’s certainly doable. While the first two weeks were probably the most stressful (besides racing to finish the capstone in the end, between Christmas and New Year’s), the workload ended up becoming more manageable once the semester was underway. I finished the term with a 4.0 GPA. Submitting my final project after more or less exactly one year was a strange, surreal experience. Now I look forward to graduating in March, and you will see me in Trenton, New Jersey for the commencement ceremony in September!

To anyone out there who is thinking about getting their degree, and to those who are already working towards this important milestone, my advice would be this: Take the time to plan and understand your entire journey ahead of time; everything you need to know can be found by digging through this forum. I never once chatted with anybody at TESU. Once you have a solid plan, work your way backwards and fill in the blanks, think about how and where you will be fulfilling each requirement. Once you’ve got a plan of attack, it all comes down to relentless execution. Some courses will be more challenging than others, some you will want to soak up all the knowledge from, and others will require all of your energy to get through. Whenever I felt stuck, rather than crawling under a blanket and not doing anything at all, I always thought about the next smallest, possible step toward my degree I could take. Sometimes that was opening up a new word document and writing down the title of the paper I had to write, other times it came down to watching a short video clip. However small of a step it may be, just putting one foot in front of the other can help you build momentum and get unstuck. Once the task is completed, pat yourself on the back and relish in the fact that you will never have to do it again ;-)

Please feel free to ask any questions below!

Wishing all of you a very happy 2022,

Danny

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zu deinem Abschluss! Always fun to meet fellow Germans "abroad." Wink
Completed: 
Master of Business Administration | Universidad Isabel I de Castilla / ENEB
Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration; Management & Leadership | University of Maine at Presque Isle
Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies; Business | University of Maine at Presque Isle
Board of Governors Associate of Applied Science | Pierpont Community & Technical College

Admitted (but not pursuing):
Master of Science in Management | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Master of Science in Financial Engineering | WorldQuant University
Congratulations on completing your journey so quickly and efficiently! The collective knowledge in this forum is incredible and no telling how many folks there are like yourself who lurk and learn and put in the effort to earn a degree and never join or post, so it's awesome that you took the time to do so!

I'm surprised that TESU was so anal with you about the 100 credits. My advisor released the hold for me with 96 (though I think he knew I had others in the pipeline that had not yet transferred in.) And I admire you taking 16 credits in a single semester. The capstone + SOS-110 alone was enough to keep me busy. Smile

Do you have any educational plans beyond the bachelor's degree? Is it vocational or for personal enrichment?
Congrats! Wow, that was amazing! You did that pretty quickly! Any plans for the next educational journey?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-05-2022, 10:03 PM)BigBird Wrote: Herzlichen Glückwunsch zu deinem Abschluss! Always fun to meet fellow Germans "abroad." Wink

Vielen Dank! Ich habe gerade auch Deinen Beitrag gelesen; From the sounds of it, our paths have been somewhat similar. What part of Germany are you from and where in the U.S. do you live now? I'm from Cologne and live in the Tampa Bay area now.

(01-05-2022, 09:43 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Welcome to the TESU 4.0 GPA club! 

Your name will be on the president's list published on the TESU website, along with all other students who received a perfect 4.0 GPA. So within a couple of weeks, you should get an email about this.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/achievements

Thank you! To be honest, the President's List was they main motivation behind trying to finish with a 4.0 GPA  Cool

(01-06-2022, 12:05 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Congrats! Wow, that was amazing!  You did that pretty quickly!  Any plans for the next educational journey?

Thank you! Initially I thought I could get it done within 7 or 8 months, but I ended up taking some vacation time in between, and a couple of things ended up taking longer than anticipated. I tend to lose interest rather quickly, so being able to design my own schedule, and work on the different degree requirements at my own pace, really helped. I'm not sure I would have made it through a traditional four year program.

A Master's degree, of course, would be the next logical step, however I have not applied yet. For the time being, I'm going to enjoy some time off to focus on other adventures.

(01-05-2022, 11:44 PM)studyingfortests Wrote: Congratulations on completing your journey so quickly and efficiently!  The collective knowledge in this forum is incredible and no telling how many folks there are like yourself who lurk and learn and put in the effort to earn a degree and never join or post, so it's awesome that you took the time to do so!

I'm surprised that TESU was so anal with you about the 100 credits.  My advisor released the hold for me with 96 (though I think he knew I had others in the pipeline that had not yet transferred in.)   And I admire you taking 16 credits in a single semester.  The capstone + SOS-110 alone was enough to keep me busy. Smile

Do you have any educational plans beyond the bachelor's degree? Is it vocational or for personal enrichment?

Thanks! I couldn't believe it myself, but they were adamant that I had to have a minimum of 100 credits successfully applied to my academic evaluation  Rolleyes It all worked out in the end. While SOS-110 really didn't require a huge weekly time commitment, the capstone certainly did! Especially week 3, if I'm not mistaken. I am still surprised that it only counts as 3 credits. Social Psychology (PSY-379) equates to 6, and I really enjoyed that course, but wasn't nearly as much work (with the exception of having to complete a midterm- and final-exam).

The degree was mostly for personal enrichment While I have thought about continuing on to a master's, I haven't actively applied to any schools yet. I'll probably give it a year or two  Tongue

(01-05-2022, 08:39 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Congratulations on your new degree! What an incredible journey.

Thanks a lot, Rachel!  Cool
(01-12-2022, 05:00 PM)DannyFL Wrote: Thanks! I couldn't believe it myself, but they were adamant that I had to have a minimum of 100 credits successfully applied to my academic evaluation  Rolleyes It all worked out in the end. While SOS-110 really didn't require a huge weekly time commitment, the capstone certainly did! Especially week 3, if I'm not mistaken. I am still surprised that it only counts as 3 credits. Social Psychology (PSY-379) equates to 6, and I really enjoyed that course, but wasn't nearly as much work (with the exception of having to complete a midterm- and final-exam).

Awesome work on completing the degree! encouraging story to read.

crazy little side note: I noticed that for current catalog (2021-2022), the Psy 379 is now a 3 credit course.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

(01-12-2022, 05:32 PM)P226mem Wrote: crazy little side note: I noticed that for current catalog (2021-2022), the Psy 379 is now a 3 credit course.

You're right! Looking at the syllabus, the course format has changed. It now requires just the mid-term exam and includes a final project, rather than a final exam, and some of the discussion posts and quizzes have turned into journal entries.

My assumption is that the previous course, at six credit hours, was designed to fulfill the degree requirement for social psychology in one course. I'm curious as to why this would have changed. Well, I'm glad I got to take advantage of it  Cool Although, I would have preferred a final project over a proctored exam.
Congrats, fello Psych major Smile
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Developmental Psychology mlf1236 6 963 04-01-2022, 08:51 AM
Last Post: Portage_admin
  B.A. Psychology from TESU ragkrish 20 2,409 04-01-2022, 02:41 AM
  Advice for a liberal studies-psychology student futureaccountingstudent 6 894 03-15-2022, 04:56 AM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Liberal Arts OR Psychology BA at TESU - capstone related JNKirsch 9 1,190 12-22-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: romoh
  Transfer BA Psychology with SDC? collegechick 1 506 10-14-2020, 09:03 AM
  6 Credit Social Psychology amberwalk 8 1,656 09-22-2020, 11:02 PM
Last Post: CourtneyBrooke
  Does PSY 1012 General Psych count towards Intro 2 Psychology requirement for TESU BA? zeroglory 2 780 08-16-2020, 04:28 PM
Last Post: zeroglory
  SDC to TESU Clarity on staying active 12 months Edriveless 10 1,372 07-06-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack
  TESU BA Psychology Mitmike2019 19 3,424 04-06-2020, 02:49 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8