Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoutout to Study.com on their app
Hi all,
So I have recently been taking some study.com courses. With some of the negative publicity they have been having, I wanted to make a post on something that has impressed me, personally, anyways. I seem to remember the study.com app being used for a "study schedule" or something like that, and I had no interest in it. I decide to check their app again (I'm on android, no idea about iphone), and it's basically an optimized version of their website with full course functionality! One can go through a course, watch the video , study, and then take the quiz....all from the app! I see myself using it as much or more than the website as I have periods of downtime where all I have is a phone on me and wifi. Again, it is not a simple schedule app or anything like that, you can actually go through your courses and videos, and take quizzes, you can even download the course for offline study! Not many apps live up to their hype, but study.com's app is wonderful. You can use it for everything short of the final exam, it appears. So, good job study.com on the impressive app. The layout is very nice, it's visually appealing and easy to use, and fully featured. Thanks for listening to your customers. The end result, for me, will be getting through my courses quicker using the app, rather than having to be at my desk or at home trying to find time to sit down at the computer, and will help greatly with studying for the final exam.

PS: I don't think the 3 quiz limit is the end of the world.....after all, if you could take a quiz 15 times until you get everything right, that's not exactly normal at any other institutions. I do feel that anyone who has started courses on their account before the date should be grandfathered in using the old methods, it seems unfair not to, but I don't see that as unreasonable for the future courses people start. As long as you stick with that limit and don't go further, it seems good to me. But I was paid zero to express my opinion, so it's worth about that much too :roflol:
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

I too am a Study.com fan. Can the amount of lesson quizzes sometimes seem overwhelming? Yes. Especially the ones that have over 150 lessons. But I can say that I'm learning and retaining the information better than with other methods of earning ACE credit.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
I don't think anyone is upset about the new quiz limit itself. What people are upset about, or at least for me personally, was the lack of communication. The change is reasonable, however you can't have so many inconsistencies going on. They should have announced that they were going forward with these changes, giving people time to adjust and prepare accordingly. On top of the fact that it isn't their first offense of changing things without notice, leaving their customers in the dark to wonder what's going on.

I do agree with you on the app though, I have been using it for the past two weeks and it's helped me get through courses quickly. Living in New York City it's perfect for me to use while on the train going to or from work or on my break time without lugging my laptop around. It's definitely very user friendly. Smile

I think study.coms lessons and format are all very great, and I would love to continue using them for my credits. I just hope thy took the criticism here seriously, and make their users aware going forward of their intentions beforehand - not after or in the middle of whatever they suddenly decide to do.
The app is pretty great, I agree. However, the videos are ridiculously slowed paced on Study.com, so I used a plugin to speed them up. There's no way to do that on the app, so it can be torture getting through the videos at the slow pace when you're used to 2.5x the speed Big Grin
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:The app is pretty great, I agree. However, the videos are ridiculously slowed paced on Study.com, so I used a plugin to speed them up. There's no way to do that on the app, so it can be torture getting through the videos at the slow pace when you're used to 2.5x the speed Big Grin

I completely agree! I do the same thing. For a while study.com added a feature at least on the regular website to speed up or even slow down the videos but that took it off. That made me very sad. I also don't like that they don't have the autoplay feature for the app. The only time I would ever use the app is to play the videos one after another in the car but the app doesn't have that feature either so I have to use the regular website on my phone in the car to listen to the videos.
On the app, is there a way to download the lesson transcripts & quizzes for offline use? I could only find the download option on lessons that included a video. I really like the quizlet app, where you can download flashcards to study offline, then when you next connect to wifi, it syncs your progress to your account.

jsd, what plugin do you use on their site to speed up the videos?
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
keepsingin Wrote:On the app, is there a way to download the lesson transcripts & quizzes for offline use?

Yes, you can download transcripts for offline use. Quizzes are not available for download at this time. It's a feature we will be working to provide soon!

And we are so happy to hear that you are enjoying the app! Our goal is to make it as comprehensive and useful as possible for all members Smile
keepsingin Wrote:jsd, what plugin do you use on their site to speed up the videos?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...ihopabppdk
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Does anyone know if any of the other providers like SL, Saylor etc... have apps too?
For Saylor you use the Mobile Moodle app. But it directs you back to the website to do the quizzes or practice tests.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,324 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,482 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,688 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 603 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,813 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 279 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 682 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM