Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Showing TESU grade equiv for CR
(01-06-2020, 01:40 AM)darthweezy Wrote: I would contact TESU and just ask them to send you documentation where a CR is considered passing. For employment I have run into this issue as well, most though will automatically assume if you received credit then you received a passing grade.

Well, the grad school doesn't want passing, they want "equivalent of a C".

(01-05-2020, 11:15 PM)davewill Wrote: In the case of WGU, they are talking about their own courses. They make no such assertion about transfer credit. In fact, they accept transfer courses with grades lower than B, so it obviously doesn't apply to transfer credit. The CLEPs are not "TESU CR undergrad courses" but transfer credit. For their own TECEPs they DO state they are at least a C:

https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/e...cep-credit

Your grad school would probably have to evaluate the CLEP directly from the source, NOT via the TESU transcript.

Thanks. CLEP/AP/ACE being considered transfer would be great. TESU says they only take C or better in transfer.

(01-05-2020, 10:51 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 03:45 PM)davewill Wrote: TESU doesn't consider it a C, just as a credit. Showing a "grade equivalency" doesn't make any sense. What exactly are you trying to do?

This grad school is saying that I need to show that my TESU CR undergrad courses were actually a C equivalent (or better). In my opinion it is ridiculous because TESU gave me a degree. In my case, I took the specific prereq courses through CLEP and ALEKS (or I may be able to use a different course, like an AP exam credit).

Those courses are not TESU undergrad courses, they are ACE/CLEP alternative credit courses. When transferred in, TESU only considered them a checkbox towards your degree. Unless they were considered part of the program's core courses, then they would have been evaluated as CR but considered a 'C' for meeting graduation requirements. It does not mean that the courses were a 'C' equivalent or better, just that TESU didn't hold it against them that they were not graded when doing the degree audit.

Grad schools will often pick apart your undergrad degree and look at courses individually to see if they meet program entry requirements. They want to make sure you meet the entry requirements. If they don't accept ACE/CLEP credit as meeting those prerequisites, they will usually offer the option to take leveling courses or allow you to retake the courses from a graded credit source (CC, etc.)

If you manage to convince them to accept them because TESU did, then that is awesome. Good luck. Smile

(01-05-2020, 10:51 PM)Ideas Wrote: But I feel like this is why WGU will state that CR means at least a B. So that employers or grad schools who have these policies can read that one sentence on WGU's transcript and say that you checked their box. It helps their graduates avoid these situations.

The key difference here is that WGU only does that for courses that originated from them. They don't offer the same pledge for courses that are transferred into the school. Just like at TESU, grades don't matter for transfer courses as they just count as a course equivalency to meet degree requirements. Well, it matters if you didn't pass the course, but beyond that the grades don't matter.

(01-05-2020, 10:51 PM)Ideas Wrote: I am unsure if TESU has some statement that suffices. Although, of course TESU is not going to give someone a CR when they only had a D equivalent in a course. That is the whole point of CLEP/AP giving scores and schools deciding what score gets credit, and the whole point of ACE having reviewed the ALEKS courses, etc. It's pretty standardized across schools (for CLEP/AP at least), but that doesn't mean this grad school knows about that or considers that.

It isn't TESU's policy you need to quote, it is ACE's policy. TESU's policies only apply to courses taken from TESU, just like WGU policies only apply to courses taken from WGU. I would be shocked if the grad school cares how a different college counts transfer credits a different degree program.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(01-06-2020, 04:06 AM)Merlin Wrote: Grad schools will often pick apart your undergrad degree and look at courses individually to see if they meet program entry requirements. They want to make sure you meet the entry requirements. If they don't accept ACE/CLEP credit as meeting those prerequisites, they will usually offer the option to take leveling courses or allow you to retake the courses from a graded credit source (CC, etc.)

If you manage to convince them to accept them because TESU did, then that is awesome. Good luck. Smile

Oh, I see what you mean now because I reread the language the grad school used. I had other school(s) accept the TESU "CR" courses for prereqs, so I guess I was making assumptions about this school, but you're probably right. Thanks.

(01-05-2020, 10:51 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 03:45 PM)davewill Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 10:20 PM)Ideas Wrote: I know that. I'm talking about grade equivalencies and how to show them. 70 is considered the cutoff for most ACE courses, etc. (And in this case it was a graded CLEP and graded AP exam.)

TESU doesn't consider it a C, just as a credit. Showing a "grade equivalency" doesn't make any sense. What exactly are you trying to do?

This grad school is saying that I need to show that my TESU CR undergrad courses were actually a C equivalent (or better). In my opinion it is ridiculous because TESU gave me a degree. In my case, I took the specific prereq courses through CLEP and ALEKS (or I may be able to use a different course, like an AP exam credit).

But I feel like this is why WGU will state that CR means at least a B. So that employers or grad schools who have these policies can read that one sentence on WGU's transcript and say that you checked their box. It helps their graduates avoid these situations. 

I am unsure if TESU has some statement that suffices. Although, of course TESU is not going to give someone a CR when they only had a D equivalent in a course. That is the whole point of CLEP/AP giving scores and schools deciding what score gets credit, and the whole point of ACE having reviewed the ALEKS courses, etc. It's pretty standardized across schools (for CLEP/AP at least), but that doesn't mean this grad school knows about that or considers that.

The passing score for the ACC 421 TECEP is 60%, so they do give CR for D equivalents in some cases.
(01-06-2020, 08:29 AM)tjguitar85 Wrote: The passing score for the ACC 421 TECEP is 60%, so they do give CR for D equivalents in some cases.

That's not the way I would interpret that. I would say, rather, that a "C" on that exam is 60%, since TESU does say, "The minimum score required to earn credit on a TECEP exam is equivalent to a letter grade of C."

NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-06-2020, 02:15 PM)davewill Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 08:29 AM)tjguitar85 Wrote: The passing score for the ACC 421 TECEP is 60%, so they do give CR for D equivalents in some cases.

That's not the way I would interpret that. I would say, rather, that a "C" on that exam is 60%, since TESU does say, "The minimum score required to earn credit on a TECEP exam is equivalent to a letter grade of C."

Yes, and in this case, a 60% is a "C" because of the grading curve. A low weighted curve usually indicates the test is harder. I assume the grading curve is lowered to maintain the same pass rate.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,340 Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 526 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 455 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 479 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 260 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,233 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 375 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 278 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27