Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com
(02-06-2019, 02:03 PM)jonesy20 Wrote: There are tons of MOOC courses on Python on Coursera and Edx. I would suggest doing one or two of those and then do PLA.

I would suggest doing one of those, then using the knowledge to slog through the OD course as quickly as possible. PLA is much more expensive and time consuming.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Will using the edx courses help for taking the other CS courses too?
CC: 42 credits
Sophia: 22 Credits
Study: 6 credits
SL: 18 credits
The Institutes: 2 credits
(02-06-2019, 06:11 PM)gamebradie Wrote: Will using the edx courses help for taking the other CS courses too?

I don't see why not. In fact many professors use MOOCs from edx and Coursera to supplement their own curriculum.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(02-06-2019, 06:23 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 06:11 PM)gamebradie Wrote: Will using the edx courses help for taking the other CS courses too?

I don't see why not. In fact many professors use MOOCs from edx and Coursera to supplement their own curriculum.

I already bought a Python bootcamp from udemy back when they had a 90+% off sale a few weeks age. I'll check out those other sites for the other CS courses. Thanks!
(02-06-2019, 02:03 PM)jonesy20 Wrote: There are tons of MOOC courses on Python on Coursera and Edx. I would suggest doing one or two of those and then do PLA.
https://www.coursera.org/specializations/python
https://www.edx.org/course/computing-in-...gramming-2

You might only need to do the first course in each specialization. The trick is to make sure that everything covered in the MOOC course covers each of the learning objectives in the syllabus.

Maybe that would be an interesting project. To document what combination of MOOC courses would cover learning objectives for different courses. Might make for a good blueprint for PLA using MOOCs.

I wouldn't suggest the PLA option... that is a lot of work for a lower-level into to programming course. Now if you were doing PLA for a number of courses already then slipping this in would be fine, but its expensive and time consuming just for a single course that you can take online or at a local CC for cheap.

There are a number of free online Python courses that could be taken and completed in a weekend (or in a week or two at least), and then you can come back to take the OD course with more foreknowledge and hands-on experience.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(02-06-2019, 07:25 PM)Merlin Wrote:

You might only need to do the first course in each specialization. The trick is to make sure that everything covered in the MOOC course covers each of the learning objectives in the syllabus.

Maybe that would be an interesting project. To document what combination of MOOC courses would cover learning objectives for different courses. Might make for a good blueprint for PLA using MOOCs.

I wouldn't suggest the PLA option... that is a lot of work for a lower-level into to programming course. Now if you were doing PLA for a number of courses already then slipping this in would be fine, but its expensive and time consuming just for a single course that you can take online or at a local CC for cheap.

There are a number of free online Python courses that could be taken and completed in a weekend (or in a week or two at least), and then you can come back to take the OD course with more foreknowledge and hands-on experience.

I figure it'll take me about 7 more hours to finish the Intro to Programming at OD and I was planning on doing LearningCounts for Data Structures. Figured while I was doing that I should be able to document Intro to Programming at the same time without too much extra cost. 

Started Study.com Intro to Operating Systems yesterday. 60% finished in a day. Really nice mobile app, quizzes that actually match the content. Will be taking Computer Architecture next with them. 

Does their Intro to Java count as Intro to Programming credit if I wanted to take that instead of PLA or finishing OD? I have no experience with Java but I do have a good amount with C# and from what I understand they are pretty similar.
(02-06-2019, 08:46 PM)jonesy20 Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 07:25 PM)Merlin Wrote:

I figure it'll take me about 7 more hours to finish the Intro to Programming at OD and I was planning on doing LearningCounts for Data Structures. Figured while I was doing that I should be able to document Intro to Programming at the same time without too much extra cost. 

Started Study.com Intro to Operating Systems yesterday. 60% finished in a day. Really nice mobile app, quizzes that actually match the content. Will be taking Computer Architecture next with them. 

Does their Intro to Java count as Intro to Programming credit if I wanted to take that instead of PLA or finishing OD? I have no experience with Java but I do have a good amount with C# and from what I understand they are pretty similar.

If you're already planning to do a PLA submission then that makes more sense. However, most folks that go that way only do so to bypass the more difficult courses to find online or at a local CC. The big upfront cost is the two required PLA planning courses. Once those are done, adding extra classes into the submission appears to be fairly cheap, so go for it.

If you want to just take the courses online instead (which will still be faster, less work, and likely cheaper), as far as I know, the only Alt Ed course that comes into TESU as Intro to Programming to meet the BACS requirement is the OD course. The others appear to evaluate as their representative language: Programming in C, Programming in C++, and Programming in Java.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
Depending on your game plan, you should do intro to programming and Data structures last. We know that study.com has those 2 courses but aren't for credits currently. But we also know study.com has started investing heavily in getting CS courses ACE accredited.

So there is a medium amount of chance that study.com get theses in a couple of weeks/months.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(02-07-2019, 09:36 AM)posabsolute Wrote: Depending on your game plan, you should do intro to programming and Data structures last. We know that study.com has those 2 courses but aren't for credits currently. But we also know study.com has started investing heavily in getting CS courses ACE accredited.

So there is a medium amount of chance that study.com get theses in a couple of weeks/months.

By the time I finish all the GE courses, they should be ACE approved by then.
(02-07-2019, 09:39 AM)gamebradie Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 09:36 AM)posabsolute Wrote: Depending on your game plan, you should do intro to programming and Data structures last. We know that study.com has those 2 courses but aren't for credits currently. But we also know study.com has started investing heavily in getting CS courses ACE accredited.

By the time I finish all the GE courses, they should be ACE approved by then.

There is no way to know for sure if or when those courses will be available for credit. You can do them last to give it a better chance, but make sure you have a backup plan if those don't receive ACE recommendation (or don't do so quickly).

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,392 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Trying to speedrun some SDC classes: Eng 2, Comp. Arch, Soft. Eng, Python 101 Randyb100 16 1,861 06-25-2023, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Sophia-Introduction to Python Programming Juliocrx 2 1,784 11-27-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Juliocrx
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,202 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information New Sophia courses coming: Python and Business Communication! MNomadic 27 4,788 08-19-2022, 07:36 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  OnlineDegree.com final exam vs quizzes jsd 7 1,518 04-26-2022, 06:54 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  OnlineDegree cosmetic update rachel83az 4 928 01-09-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  onlinedegree.com transcripts not showing up? studyingfortests 6 1,010 10-31-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  COS 101 Onlinedegree.com cizzie 3 956 10-19-2021, 03:18 PM
Last Post: cizzie
  onlinedegree.com course difficulty/completion times? studyingfortests 4 1,288 07-10-2021, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Vle045