Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com
That’s an unfortunate turn of event, I wonder what are the criteria at sdc to submit course for ace approval, or maybe it’s ace that is being difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(02-12-2019, 06:55 PM)posabsolute Wrote: That’s an unfortunate turn of event, I wonder what are the criteria at sdc to submit course for ace approval, or maybe it’s ace that is being difficult.

It isn't unusual. SDC creates most of their own course content and it can take months or years before it is fine-tuned and ready to go for ACE or NCCRS submission. It took quite some time for the most recent CS courses to be completed and evaluated for ACE credit, so you can expect it to take a while for these other courses.

This is why I always tell people not to count on SDC courses that aren't listed as credit ready. There is no telling when (or if) they will ever be available for college credit.

It appears to take a few months to go through the ACE/NCCRS review process anyway, not including any extra time needed after an initial review to change things in the course or add additional content. So even if you know that a course is complete and ready for ACE submission, it could still be 6+ months before it is available for college credit.

The same applies to courses that are intended for UL but are recommended by ACE as LL. Study.com likely plans to update those courses to meet the requirements for UL recommendation, but it could take months (or a year or more) before that happens.

The takeaway: If an SDC course is not ACE recommended (or is only recommended for LL when it should be UL credit), don't depend on it as (UL) credit purposes in your degree plan until the ACE review is complete and the recommendation is established. You can hold off on taking the course while you see what happens, but make sure you have a backup plan.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Java course doesn't transfer to TESU. I don't see it on ACE or on SDC website as transfering.

***I take that back I found it on the ACE website. I know my advisor said it wouldn't transfer for me, but that may have been because I already have all the lower level and non-required classes done.***
BALS Social Sciences - TESU 2020
ASNSM Computer Science - TESU 2020
(02-12-2019, 08:48 PM)darthweezy Wrote: Java course doesn't transfer to TESU. I don't see it on ACE or on SDC website as transfering.

***I take that back I found it on the ACE website. I know my advisor said it wouldn't transfer for me, but that may have been because I already have all the lower level and non-required classes done.***

Advisors often say things won't transfer if they're not listed on an official articulation agreement. But the only instance anyone here knows of where they reject ACE credit is Shmoop.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(02-12-2019, 11:04 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 08:48 PM)darthweezy Wrote: Java course doesn't transfer to TESU. I don't see it on ACE or on SDC website as transfering.

Advisors often say things won't transfer if they're not listed on an official articulation agreement. But the only instance anyone here knows of where they reject ACE credit is Shmoop.

The only time they ever told me something wont transfer is the Java course from SDC.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(02-12-2019, 11:06 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: The only time they ever told me something wont transfer is the Java course from SDC.

The SDC Java course is an ACE recommended lower-division course that doesn't come from Shmoop, so I'm 99.9% that it will transfer. I've never heard of TESU excluding specific courses without cause. Particularly for a new course, it is more likely that it just hasn't been evaluated yet (nobody has transferred it to TESU yet) and is therefore not in the system at all. So advising is saying it isn't accepted because, as far as they can see, that course doesn't have a listed course equivalency in their database.

That said, it is possible that the SDC Java course may evaluate in an unexpected way, or it may duplicate some other common course and therefore not be valuable to a specific person's academic plan, but I cannot imagine that it won't be accepted at all.

Either way, advising is unconnected to transcript evaluation... that is handled by another department within the university. Until someone actually takes the course, transfers it to TESU, and has it evaluated, we won't know for sure how it will evaluate (or not). I'm almost 100% sure it will come in as COS-208 like most intro-level Java courses.

If I were still looking to fill my GenEd's, I'd take that course just to test the theory, but I have no plans to take any more undergrad courses now that I'm waiting on my degree conferral. I assume someone else will take it soon, and hopefully they will post the course equivalency from their evaluation.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
@Merlin I also have so many extra credits I have no reason to take it...but I'm still curious..
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

It really depends on your advisor, I was told discrete math would not transfer either, and it did. The bottom line seems to be that if the advisor doesn't has it on its compat list, he may just say that he can't slot it anywhere.

It's funny, for some reason I thought someone had already tried to transfer it, I might try too, seems easy enough. I feel that main problem seems to be it's not written intro to programming in the course title, which means it will probably just transfer as a programming language course, which you could use in the BALS with CS concentration requirements, but not the BACS, because they changed that slot to be specifically an introduction course.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(02-12-2019, 11:02 AM)gamebradie Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 10:45 AM)jonesy20 Wrote: I emailed Study.com about ACE certification of the Data Structures course and this was the reply.
"Our responsible team has informed that we do not expect that course to be recommended for credit within the next 6 months, potentially longer."

Looks like I'll have to take it at either APU or Oakton CC. Unless they're better options I don't know of.

Another place to look for data structures or even upper level cs courses is Fort Hays State U - they have a computer science dept and they're really reasonable cost wise. Its around $215/credit or close to that. If you need upper level courses, they would be a good choice too. 
https://www.fhsu.edu/cs/Academic-Program...er-science

Same with Champlain College - they are around $320/credit ($250 for military/vets), and their courses are only 7 week terms (usually). A few courses have to be longer to cover the material.  
https://www.champlain.edu/online/bachelo...ent-degree
TESU approved the UExcel Intro to Programming in Java for me for the Intro to Programming requirement for the BA in CS. Might be a good alternative for those who don't want to take the OnlineDegree course. I haven't taken the exam yet but plan to in the next week or two.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,261 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Trying to speedrun some SDC classes: Eng 2, Comp. Arch, Soft. Eng, Python 101 Randyb100 16 1,781 06-25-2023, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Sophia-Introduction to Python Programming Juliocrx 2 1,699 11-27-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Juliocrx
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,174 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information New Sophia courses coming: Python and Business Communication! MNomadic 27 4,562 08-19-2022, 07:36 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  OnlineDegree.com final exam vs quizzes jsd 7 1,463 04-26-2022, 06:54 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  OnlineDegree cosmetic update rachel83az 4 888 01-09-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  onlinedegree.com transcripts not showing up? studyingfortests 6 986 10-31-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  COS 101 Onlinedegree.com cizzie 3 927 10-19-2021, 03:18 PM
Last Post: cizzie
  onlinedegree.com course difficulty/completion times? studyingfortests 4 1,249 07-10-2021, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Vle045