Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smart.ly MBA (free - kind of)
I came across this somewhere online and haven't seen it mentioned here but Smart.ly currently has a free MBA program. https://smart.ly/prices/students Yes, you do need a bachelor's degree in the first place. 

Two points to consider: They are NOT accredited regionally or nationally (only licensed by DC: https://support.smart.ly/article/203-is-...accredited ), though they claim to be seeking accreditation right now. But it might be a good option for people who want to "practice" MBA coursework or otherwise do it for fun. Second, you'd need to apply by March 25th for their next start date. Their FAQs are a bit confusing in regards to start dates and what comes after April. Did they just start doing this? Maybe! No idea.

It also appears that you can do some of the courses without applying for anything, but you don't get any sort of credits for this route. Of course, since it's not currently accredited anyway, this may not be a problem for someone who just wants another study resource.

There is also a $9600 MBA option but, since they are not accredited, that is potentially a serious waste of money at this point in time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • quigongene
At least one degreeforum user applied, or was going to try and get in.

Apparently Smart.ly is mostly looking for people who attended a "Top 30" school for undergrad. If I'm reading correctly, they say on their site that 80% in their MBA program were from a top school.

It's cool they also have a 6 week certificate that's free, but that also says 70% were from a top school.

I like the idea behind it, as long as they land some actual accreditation...

but that name is a real turd of a name. worse than University of the People. Yuck.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • rachel83az
Yes, it's a ridiculous name. I half expect the site to be about games, like snake.io or something, even though I know it's not.
Why would someone from a top30 school want to top of his education with this? Seems like a weird thing to put on your resume on top of your undergraduate degree.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
[-] The following 3 users Like posabsolute's post:
  • harrypotter, rachel83az, Yenisei
I applied for this last year. They did not accept me for the free option, I think, because I am 42 and they want young people who are willing to relocate so they can earn a finder's fee for locating talent. I also applied for the non-free MBA because they sometimes give full scholarships. Tom Adams, the CEO, actually interviewed me. It was really funny to see him pop up on the screen. They accepted me, but I received a half scholarship and at nearly $5,000, it wasn't a good deal, especially considering the comparative cost of WGU. I have completed 20% of the program via the free certificate track. It is very interactive and I learned a lot. I think that it is worth doing at the free price point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • rachel83az
(03-16-2018, 11:02 AM)posabsolute Wrote: Why would someone from a top30 school want to top of his education with this? Seems like a weird thing to put on your resume on top of your undergraduate degree.

To network with others from Top 30 schools of course Dodgy

Maybe it's mostly people who cannot get a loan or scholarship for something else? And who don't know that the competency degrees exist.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • rachel83az
I applied twice last year. Didn't get accepted since I haven't finished my bachelor's. I did get access to more of their classes, though. The learning method is very good, but as others pointed out, the lack of valid accreditation and the terrible name(I would be ashamed to put that on a resume) mean that it's not worth paying for. I would say it's worth applying for since you have nothing to lose. I plan on applying again after I graduate tesu.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • rachel83az
That name - yuck - just a total turn off. It sounds like an app. How would any employer take you seriously?
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
(03-17-2018, 12:46 AM)rlw74 Wrote: That name - yuck - just a total turn off. It sounds like an app. How would any employer take you seriously?

Obviously, you're supposed to find an employer who is hip and cool and... Er, nope!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MIT University just released free online courses. KSoul 0 414 02-14-2024, 04:33 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,614 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Any Online Free Master Degree? JesterRigid 15 5,426 09-07-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,204 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Low Cost / Free online Masters programs from Germany nyvrem 32 11,452 07-30-2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study MSc in Environmental Management for free with the Open University UK HVzR5 3 691 05-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: HVzR5
  Free NARIC Evaluations JPN 3 960 01-28-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: JPN
  FREE Masters Degree! (CA State Authorized by BPPE) bjcheung77 13 2,371 08-23-2022, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Cowabunga Dude
  Free Seminary (unaccredited, Florida license) sanantone 9 1,331 06-26-2022, 09:30 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  UT Dallas Masters in Business Analytics focused on Data Science - Free newdegree 10 2,040 12-29-2021, 03:59 AM
Last Post: durain