Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smartphone Addiction
(01-19-2019, 02:44 PM)natshar Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 03:03 AM)Merlin Wrote: The necessity for a cellphone for emergencies notwithstanding, the GPS on my phone has also saved my butt on several occasions. There have also been times when I needed to access an important document or to look up something for work or taxes or whatnot, and being able to pull up Dropbox or a web browser on my phone has been a lifesaver.

I don't always need my smartphone, but the times when I do more than make up for the costs associated with owning the phone.

I also have found this true. In fact, just a few weeks ago, my family found ourselves on the shoulder of a freeway with car troubles that made it so we couldn't drive at all. We were far from anywhere with a phone in the middle of the night. We called a tow truck and used our phones to order an uber to take us to a car repair place (which we located using google maps) and then met the tow truck there to get our car fixed the next morning. We then googled and used priceline to book the cheapest nearby hotel, which we ubered to. 

Obviously, things like that have probably happened before smartphones, but I know for a fact owning a smartphone in that instance made everything way easier. I'm not sure how we would have managed without any phone at all.

My husband and sons all carry smartphones- so had I been in your situation, there would have been 5 working phones in the car with me.
I have people in my life who have an almost frightening level of addition to their smart phones. It seems like they are missing out completely on real life.

I use my PC a lot, mostly for reading and study, so, perhaps I use a computer as much as someone who appears to be addicted to their phone. My phone has a screen time tracker that notifies me when I've used more than a half hour of screen time in a day. I try to stay under that during the day. At night, I allow myself ten rounds of multiplayer solitaire, about 15 minutes worth on top of my daily half hour.

When I'm out with my family, I leave my phone in the car if I can.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
(01-19-2019, 02:44 PM)natshar Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 03:03 AM)Merlin Wrote: The necessity for a cellphone for emergencies notwithstanding, the GPS on my phone has also saved my butt on several occasions. There have also been times when I needed to access an important document or to look up something for work or taxes or whatnot, and being able to pull up Dropbox or a web browser on my phone has been a lifesaver.

I don't always need my smartphone, but the times when I do more than make up for the costs associated with owning the phone.

I also have found this true. In fact, just a few weeks ago, my family found ourselves on the shoulder of a freeway with car troubles that made it so we couldn't drive at all. We were far from anywhere with a phone in the middle of the night. We called a tow truck and used our phones to order an uber to take us to a car repair place (which we located using google maps) and then met the tow truck there to get our car fixed the next morning. We then googled and used priceline to book the cheapest nearby hotel, which we ubered to. 

Obviously, things like that have probably happened before smartphones, but I know for a fact owning a smartphone in that instance made everything way easier. I'm not sure how we would have managed without any phone at all.

My husband travels for work, he uses his constantly - to check into flights, as his boarding pass, to get Uber when he gets to where he's going, watches movies on his flights, reads, connects with me and our kids while he's gone, etc.  And, many times, we are in different time zones - so it's nice for him to be able to text me in the morning his time (6am EST is 3am PST) and tell me what's going on and that he's changed his flight to a new time, send it to me without waking me up, head into a meeting where he's not allowed to bring his phone in for several hours, then head straight to the airport, without trying to find a time in there to call me and disturb my sleep or whatever.  Everything he does is from his phone - and it makes it so that he barely needs his computer at all on trips.  He said he brings his work-issued laptop but sometimes doesn't use it at all on a trip.

That being said - our family rule is no phones at the dinner table (or any meal where more than 1 of us is sitting down together).  And my husband and I are trying to be better about always having it nearby when we're at home.  Trying to get the kids to unplug is also difficult...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-16-2019, 10:28 PM)natshar Wrote: I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to combat smartphone addiction? What do you do (or not do) to be on or use your phone more efficiency and purposely? Or are you addicted to your phone and don't care or do anything to change it? Let me know your thoughts.

We just bought our 13yo a flip phone (yes they still exist).
He is starting classes at our community college and he may be taking the train to campus in another city and we couldn't find any public phones on the route he would travel.
Also, he is one to get addicted to video games or youtube videos so I'm sure if given the chance, he would be addicted to a smart phone.

We have always stressed him writing things down to help him remember.
He has a physical calendar because he remembers much better when he writes things instead of entering it into the calendar on his laptop.

Now, dh does all kinds of crazy work stuff through his phone and is on call so it goes with him almost everywhere.
My favorite vacations were when we took cruises because he was forced to unplug.

I have a smart phone but only because my father-in-law couldn't figure it out so I gave him my flip phone so he would know how to work it.
My dh has set me up with a family calendar that we both post to so that we know all the family members events.
I do not have email on my phone, though I could access it if I really needed to... once in a while pulling up a document has been helpful but not absolutely necessary.
I don't use my phone for making calls much but mainly for the texting (why don't they still have pagers?)
I have found it handy to text to let people know if we are running late or when to expect us.
Other than that, my cell phone has basically become the "home" phone since we homeschool and most phone calls are about doctor appointments or events that we are involved with.
I personally don't have a problem with cell phone addiction and am soooo glad I don't have a job that requires it.