Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
States Investing the Most (and Least) in Higher Education
Note Wyoming vs Vermont....speaks volumes.  
https://howmuch.net/articles/states-inve...-education
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

I don't get what this shows. CA is listed as a middle-of-the-pack state, and yet we have the cheapest CC's in the country ($46/cr for residents, or free for many with our new Promise program); and our CSU-system schools (23 of them) are cheaper than the national average. Yes, our UC-system schools are more expensive, but there are fewer and they have a lot fewer students going there.

So if it's cheap or free to do 2+ years there, and cheaper than the national average to do 2-4 at a CSU, why aren't we ranked better? You can get a bachelor's degree, with 2 years of free CC and 2 years at a CSU for about $15k in tuition or less. Not understanding how this "spending" works.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
Vermont talks about education but does not fund it at the state level.  The University of Vermont instate tuition is $8,196 and out-of-state tuition is $20,640.

Wyoming funds it at the state level.  The Unniversity of Wyoming instate tuition is $4,350 and out-of-state tuition for the 15-Western states is $6,525.

This chart clearly shows why.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(01-20-2020, 04:52 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Vermont talks about education but does not fund it at the state level.  The University of Vermont instate tuition is $8,196 and out-of-state tuition is $20,640.

Wyoming funds it at the state level.  The Unniversity of Wyoming instate tuition is $4,350 and out-of-state tuition for the 15-Western states is $6,525.

This chart clearly shows why.

As "clear" as you think this is, I'm still not seeing it.  I certainly don't see (or read about) any "why's" in the short article.  It just has states color-coded, with a top-10 list, and virtually no other explanations.  Maybe there's more to the article than I can see, am I missing something to click on?

Looking at in-state tuition only, I just compared the Univ of Alaska - Fairbanks to CSU San Marcos here in CA.

UAF is split between LL and UL, so $4269/sem x 4 sem + $4989/sem x 4 sem = $37,032
CSUSM is $7715/yr x 4 yrs = $30,848

So AK invests more per pupil - at $13,612/pupil - but it's still cheaper to go to a CA school, even though they only spend $8,447/pupil.

I just don't understand the relationship between what a state spends, and what it costs for a student to go to a college in-state there.  It's not adding up.  What am I missing?

-------------------------

Edit - for apples-to-apples comparison, CSUSM cost is tuition AND fees. You only listed tuition for UW.

The cost for tuition and fees at UW is $6372/yr x 4 yrs = $25,488. So, WY spends $9,790 more per pupil per year than CA, and yet CA's tuition and fees are only $1,343 more a year. Where is that extra money being WY spends being spent? Again, what am I missing??
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Too many State public universities are trying to live off the feds more and more. These are State colleges NOT Federal Colleges. State funding is just one income stream for public State universities. Universities vary by types of income money (pure education vs research). Also, universities can be greedy. Most private Ivy colleges have Hugh endowments but still, charge $$$$ tuition. Same with States and it varies by state. Bernie Sanders does not come from a state that cares about public education, but Wyoming does. It's clear in the funding. Purdue's personality is they have not raised tuition in 7-years? Oregon always raises tuition and lives off out-of-state Cali kids. Every State is different. Look at the money trail.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015...overnments

(01-21-2020, 08:27 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Too many State public universities are trying to live off the feds more and more.  These are State colleges NOT Federal Colleges.  State funding is just one income stream for public State universities.  Universities vary by types of income money (pure education vs research).  Also, universities can be greedy.  Most private Ivy colleges have Hugh endowments but still, charge $$$$ tuition.  Same with States and it varies by state.  Bernie Sanders does not come from a state that cares about public education, but Wyoming does.  It's clear in the funding.  Purdue's personality is they have not raised tuition in 7-years?   Oregon always raises tuition and lives off out-of-state Cali kids.  Every State is different.  Look at the money trail.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015...overnments

I don't actually want to do a bunch of research, I was just trying to figure out what the graph is really showing - which I'm going to go with not much.  If a state can spend less and yet still manage to offer lower tuition than a state that spends more, then it just makes no sense to look at that number.

I will continue to look at what in-state tuition is for schools, and not worry about this "spend" number that doesn't reflect anything meaningful.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jsd
I’m currently reading Education Free & Compulsory by Murray Rothbard which is free to read off of mises.org and is only like 76 pages. After also reading Free to Choose, I’m going to say that government should completely get out of education all together. It costs more and more every year yet students are learning less and less at whose cost? Those who will never attend college so that those more affluent can have it cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 2 users Like videogamesrock's post:
  • Joeman200, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vent: 1-byte people in education berlinerd 3 391 11-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Investing Simulators & Books SweetSecret 11 1,526 05-22-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  The middlemen of online higher ed article cardiacclep 0 415 12-31-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Immigration and education level Personherebb9 7 782 10-30-2022, 03:32 PM
  A Conversation About Inflation, Life Abroad, and Education Kal Di 0 531 05-31-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Mandate for professions in several states bjcheung77 4 724 01-27-2022, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Microsoft Education Alpha 1 622 11-05-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Easiest States/Territories to Become a Licensed Psychologist sanantone 0 22,195 10-13-2021, 11:31 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Higher Ed & Politics - Russian Style Alpha 0 537 10-13-2021, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Sommet Education acquires Invictus Education Group bjcheung77 0 682 05-06-2021, 04:50 PM