Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social Media
Whatever this matters: I have 26,611+ connections on LinkedIn, 2,962+ followers on Twitter, and 3,202+ "friends" on Facebook. These numbers show why I get nothing important done.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MFA in Creative Writing from Liberty University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
(09-21-2019, 03:01 PM)dewisant Wrote: Whatever this matters: I have 26,611+ connections on LinkedIn, 2,962+ followers on Twitter, and 3,202+ "friends" on Facebook. These numbers show why I get nothing important done.
Oh man, what a time suck some of that stuff can be. I stopped going onto FB in May of this year because work just got crazy busy and it's such a relief and I totally don't miss it at all. Today I hopped on for a minute to see if there were any events in my area this weekend and I immediately felt stressed. Waiting for me were like 952 notifications and 30 something friend requests. Then I see posts where people are being passive-aggressive and I just closed the tab! I have to figure out how to delete it - I'm in touch with the people I want to stay in touch with. The rest of them, eh. I'm on IG and like that much better.
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes suzycupcake's post:
  • dewisant
I rarely post anything on FB, LinkedIn, or Instagram. I mostly only use FB as some sort of an ‘online newspaper’ to read news, watch some interesting videos, or read others’ posts. I am reading a lot of funny posts that question the significance of people all over the world striking on Fridays for the climate. I really want to know, what is it they want their respective governments to do?? What is the action plan?
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(09-21-2019, 08:29 PM)Supermind Wrote: I rarely post anything on FB, LinkedIn, or Instagram. I mostly only use FB as some sort of an ‘online newspaper’ to just read news, watch some interesting videos, or read others’ posts.

That's exactly what my husband says, "I'm reading the news!" Smile
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes suzycupcake's post:
  • dewisant
Man, I deleted my Facebook months ago and it has been the greatest decision I have made all year (alongside going back to school).
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes BrighterFuture88's post:
  • dewisant
(09-23-2019, 07:09 AM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: Man, I deleted my Facebook months ago and it has been the greatest decision I have made all year (alongside going back to school).

I have considered dropping Facebook, but it is too much of a social hub for my family and the only way they get to see my daughter outside of holidays. We have a FB group set up just for her and we share all her photos and funny anecdotes up there for the family. The WGU community is also very active on FB, so I'm also pretty involved in those forums.

I found a plugin for my web browser (Social Fixer) that allows me to filter out all the junk I don't want to see in FB. That has made my FB experience so much better that I barely get annoyed with it anymore. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(09-23-2019, 03:53 PM)Merlin Wrote: I found a plugin for my web browser (Social Fixer) that allows me to filter out all the junk I don't want to see in FB. That has made my FB experience so much better that I barely get annoyed with it anymore. Smile

I use FB Purity myself. Good stuff.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(09-21-2019, 03:01 PM)dewisant Wrote: Whatever this matters: I have 26,611+ connections on LinkedIn, 2,962+ followers on Twitter, and 3,202+ "friends" on Facebook. These numbers show why I get nothing important done.

I think it depends on why you're saying it prevents you from getting things done.
I dedicate a large amount of time every day to helping others through social media, which evolved into an opportunity to help tens of thousands of people over many years.
I consider helping others to be an exceptionally GOOD use of my time. Social media allows me to accomplish something that I couldn't otherwise do and help people that I've never met.
In my specific sphere of work I do, Twitter and LinkedIn aren't useful. I don't know my follow counts, but I rarely have real conversations with those connections anyway. Facebook is where I do 99% of my interaction, and I have almost 17,000 followers on my page- but I have 13 Facebook friends who have access to my actual private life Wink I can't imagine having that many FB friends on my personal account- in fact, I just tightened my privacy settings again (on my personal account).
Wink 
(09-23-2019, 03:53 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 07:09 AM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: Man, I deleted my Facebook months ago and it has been the greatest decision I have made all year (alongside going back to school).

I have considered dropping Facebook, but it is too much of a social hub for my family and the only way they get to see my daughter outside of holidays. We have a FB group set up just for her and we share all her photos and funny anecdotes up there for the family. The WGU community is also very active on FB, so I'm also pretty involved in those forums.

I found a plugin for my web browser (Social Fixer) that allows me to filter out all the junk I don't want to see in FB. That has made my FB experience so much better that I barely get annoyed with it anymore. Smile

You're going about it correctly, then.  Smile   I don't have any kids, but my family does communicate on there, but my issue is all of the insane negativity that I saw every day (politics, sports, etc.).  I just didn't want to be around that anymore.  Not only that, I used to have an addiction and I took it upon myself to cut it since using FB in moderation doesn't apply to my personality, haha.
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
The only social media site I actively use and post in is LinkedIn. I used to use facebook, but the most vocal people in my feed regularly made political and religious related posts just to instigate arguments. I was also regularly spammed by acquaintances who joined multi-level marketing schemes and were looking for new customers. It wasn't worth the frustration.

Sometimes I'll read a Buzzfeed article or check out a funny list of gifs on my own time. Having to actively search for them has reduced the amount of time I spent procrastinating.

I've also noticed I reach out to my close friends over the phone and get together with them in person more often than when I had facebook.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Famous Social Conformity Psychology Experiment LevelUP 0 409 07-31-2022, 09:11 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Economics is a Social Science sanantone 9 1,100 03-05-2022, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,096 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  When unpaid student debt leads to a smaller Social Security check bluebooger 7 2,509 12-31-2016, 01:13 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Social Media and Sending a Story Viral mrs.b 0 779 02-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Last Post: mrs.b
  Annenberg Media Grad Credits alleycat 6 1,246 08-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Last Post: peace123
  liberal agenda- social sciences cookderosa 6 2,030 02-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Last Post: kimberlyaz